Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to see if anyone else has a squeaky brake problem? For the first 1,000 miles or so no squeaking, or at least none that I noticed. From about 2,500 miles the brakes starting squeaking like crazy when coming to a stop. No track, only normal day to day use on the brakes, nothing outside of normal driving conditions where heat or water could have caused warping of anything.... I am at 3,000 miles now, and if the squeakyness does not go away by my next oil change (6,000 miles) I plan on having the dealer take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I think it is normal with these brakes. While the pads are new I don't notice it, but once they break in they squeak. My Hawk pads on my Civic do the same thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the same problem but the noise didn't start until after my fourth track day. Probably around 8K miles. I had the same problem with my '13 TTRS. I replaced the pads with Carbotech street pads. They were perfect after that. I am not sure if Carbotech has the RS pads yet but I plan on getting a street set and track set this spring. Please let us know if you have any luck with Ford. It took Audi 2 years to deal with the issue on the TTRS.

Good luck

·
Registered
900 Posts
There is no way that ford designed the braking system on a car to squeal super loud. Take it to your dealer and get them to service the brakes under warranty to eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If I don't drive the car for a few days it sounds like they are grinding when I first drive it. After a bit it goes away. I do get an occasional squeak though.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
London, eh? :) My parents used to take me to Storybook Gardens all the time as a kid :) If you don't drive it for a few days and get the grinding that may be normal as rust can accumulate on the rotors and once you brake a few times the rust is gone and grinding should stop.

Mine is a constant squeak when coming to a normal stop, normal braking conditions.

Thanks for the tips on new pads, most likely Ford will do nothing to fix this as probably they will tell me the situation is just the way it is... and I will end up going with those pads in the future.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the squeaks too. I just say, if it doesn't make a sound, it's no longer working when someone mentions it. It confuses the heck out of people. :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
London, eh? :) My parents used to take me to Storybook Gardens all the time as a kid :) If you don't drive it for a few days and get the grinding that may be normal as rust can accumulate on the rotors and once you brake a few times the rust is gone and grinding should stop.

Mine is a constant squeak when coming to a normal stop, normal braking conditions.

Thanks for the tips on new pads, most likely Ford will do nothing to fix this as probably they will tell me the situation is just the way it is... and I will end up going with those pads in the future.
HAHA good old Story Book Gardens. Haven't been in 25 years I'm sure. We ride the bike path past it during bike season. The merry go round is still there. Must be 40+ years old now.

Yeah I figure it's rust build up. Annoying though as my other Fords don't do it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. Give the dealer a shot. Race pads, as noted in the chain, squeak because they are not at operating temp. When they get cooking they don't squeak. The Ford pads are not race pads and should not squeak under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the squeaks too. I'm at 4600 miles and sitting at Ford Service now for the 2nd time for this issue. Hopefully it gets resolved. They also chipped the paint on one of my calipers:crushed:

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I got the squeaks too. I'm at 4600 miles and sitting at Ford Service now for the 2nd time for this issue. Hopefully it gets resolved. They also chipped the paint on one of my calipers:crushed:
Let us know if they find anything. I had minor squeeking from the front right when I first got the RS, and usually only under light braking... casual driving stopping for a red light etc.

I hit 8k miles this week and HOLY **** the squeeking is getting LOUD...
I'm that guy you hear braking down for the red light all the way to a complete stop. Frankly, its embarrassing. I understand these are performance pads but as someone mentioned, these aren't "race pads". My Hawk HPS red I had on my Mazdapseed 6 years ago didn't even make this much noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let us know if they find anything. I had minor squeeking from the front right when I first got the RS, and usually only under light braking... casual driving stopping for a red light etc.

I'm that guy you hear braking down for the red light all the way to a complete stop. Frankly, its embarrassing. I understand these are performance pads but as someone mentioned, these aren't "race pads". My Hawk HPS red I had on my Mazdapseed 6 years ago didn't even make this much noise.

Either of you two get an update on this? I've got the squeeks and I'd like to know if I just need to continue to ignore or do something about it?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

HPS's aren't track pads. I had them on my ST and they were very quiet.

Either of you two get an update on this? I've got the squeeks and I'd like to know if I just need to continue to ignore or do something about it?
Pull them apart, clean and lube all the contact points. Otherwise it's normal.

The owners manual even mentions this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Any updates from the guys who visited the dealership for this? I'm at 7k miles and it just started, it's so loud/annoying that I'm letting off the gas much further from a stop now

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
The Brembo's on my STI used to squeak with Normal Driving, My RS is Squeaking now with 5100 miles on it. I do notice that if I start pushing the car hard and getting the brakes hot the noise goes away. I think it has something to do with the brembo calipers themselves. If it bothers you that much, pull the pads grease the contacts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts