Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking for some guidance on what 'S' actually does.

I am not finding much difference between Normal and S

NB: The car is being run in, so i am not revving it over 3500 / 4000 (I am now over 1000kms, and before I was keeping it to 3000rpm)

The flap in the LHS exhaust tip seems to be open regardless of Normal / S

Occasionally I hear a pop / crackle through the exhaust on lift off, when in S - but it is not doing it more than 20% of the time.

In other cars with switchable drive modes and exhausts, there has been a noticeable difference between the modes.

Not sure my S mode is working...

TIA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,

NB: The car is being run in, so i am not revving it over 3500 / 4000 (I am now over 1000kms, and before I was keeping it to 3000rpm)

Occasionally I hear a pop / crackle through the exhaust on lift off, when in S - but it is not doing it more than 20% of the time.

In other cars with switchable drive modes and exhausts, there has been a noticeable difference between the modes.

TIA
Hi mate I've done 1100 km so far car has definitely opened up more now I always drive in s mode it feels a lot more responsive than in normal mode
Are you loving it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi All,

TIA
pops and crackels over 4.5k

heavier steering

better throttle response, apparently(can barely tell)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I didn't think there was much difference when the car was new, with a few kms the car seems to really get better! As a test keep a very steady throttle position and switch between normal and sport.. within a few sec maybe 5-7 sec you should feel a slight surge (small) in acceleration...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I agree with all the comments. Normal to Sport is mostly in the "feel and sound" of the car. Track mode is where you'll be able to really notice the difference. Below 4k rpm the Sport and Normal are pretty close, the overboost isn't until over 5k rpm. Once you get a few more miles and use the entire rpm range then you can get the full enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I didn't think there was much difference when the car was new, with a few kms the car seems to really get better! As a test keep a very steady throttle position and switch between normal and sport.. within a few sec maybe 5-7 sec you should feel a slight surge (small) in acceleration...
This is what I notice when I switch modes. It raises the rpm's slightly, and you can feel the car slightly accelerate at the same throttle position.

Reactions: Aethok and ScottS

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
pops and crackels over 4.5k

heavier steering

better throttle response, apparently(can barely tell)
You can check if Sport mode is working by switching from normal to sport while accelerating gently. You'll feel a surge as the new throttle mapping takes over. Pops and burbles can occur as low as 3500 rpm. They are dependent on how quickly the throttle closes. If you are gentle on the throttle pedal (not lifting completely between shifts) you won't get as many.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
All sport does is make the steering heavier (which I have difficulty feeling in average driving), the throttle response is definitely way sharper, and the exhaust valve opens.

To me, sport is a waste of a mode, I never use it. I usually hit track mode and then put the dampers back into normal if I want the "Sporty" feel.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
All sport does is make the steering heavier (which I have difficulty feeling in average driving), the throttle response is definitely way sharper, and the exhaust valve opens.

To me, sport is a waste of a mode, I never use it. I usually hit track mode and then put the dampers back into normal if I want the "Sporty" feel.
I do this a lot too. I do notice that track mode makes the mpg's suffer way more than sport for the same drive/driving style. It must engage the RDU a lot more and drink gas because of it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I need to try this but I am still under a 1000 miles. Do we need to wait until more miles on the car for track & drift mode? Break in miles? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I've noticed that when I'm rolling at a constant speed, say 35ish...then select sport mode, once I press ok, the car will get a subtle shove forward once sport mode is fully engaged. I guess it has something to do with improved throttle response.

I've also noticed that the flap does open and close even in normal mode. It mainly opens on cold start up. Which I think is cool, and a little annoying at the same time. It's cool when you want to show someone how it sounds with a loud cold start. But if you want to be more stealthy in the early morning, sorry this isn't going to happen. This car is pretty dang loud on a cold startup, and that open flap doesn't help any.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your responses guys. I assume my Sport mode is working as intended by Ford.
Its a missed opportunity to have a comfortable cruising mode, and sports settings when desired IMO. Given you can barely tell the difference between the two settings when driving normally it is a bit of a waste of time. I would have preferred a more comfortable ride quality in Normal mode along with the other calibrations as is, and then for Sports to have had the ride as it currently is in Normal and exhaust to be noticeable all the way across the rev range, enabling the increased sound through the exhaust to be enjoyed all of the time.
As with all of the cars i have had with switchable damping, the firm setting very rarely gets used. Track only, which is lucky to be 2 or 3% of driving. A damping comfort setting would be more widely used.
If i keep the car for more than a few months, I will be looking closely at aftermarket exhaust options that retain the current volume when in normal mode, and increase sound volume when in sports.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thanks for your responses guys. I assume my Sport mode is working as intended by Ford.
Its a missed opportunity to have a comfortable cruising mode, and sports settings when desired IMO. Given you can barely tell the difference between the two settings when driving normally it is a bit of a waste of time. I would have preferred a more comfortable ride quality in Normal mode along with the other calibrations as is, and then for Sports to have had the ride as it currently is in Normal and exhaust to be noticeable all the way across the rev range, enabling the increased sound through the exhaust to be enjoyed all of the time.
As with all of the cars i have had with switchable damping, the firm setting very rarely gets used. Track only, which is lucky to be 2 or 3% of driving. A damping comfort setting would be more widely used.
If i keep the car for more than a few months, I will be looking closely at aftermarket exhaust options that retain the current volume when in normal mode, and increase sound volume when in sports.
Sell the car you ain't gonna be happy.

Sent from my iPhone SE using Taptalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
At the end of the day we have a sensational car IMO. I think a lot of your view on this comes down to expectations management. What were you expecting? Many of the reviews leading up to the car being released spoke of the ride characteristics. I certainly believe compounding the ride characteristics are the firm shell seats, coupled with the 19" wheels and rubber band tyres. But I certainly don't find it uncomfortable in normal or sport mode and the firmness experienced, as I have said many times, reminds me of what this car is capable of. Happy days for me........

·
Registered
381 Posts
i think going down to some 18" wheels would help with the cruisability of normal and then firming the suspension for a sport feel would have a bigger difference, like what others have said. I think for my track set of tyres i'm going down to 18 rims anyway, for better performance, and cheaper semi slicks haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sport Mode(s)?

The supplemental manual is just confusing me. In the section where sport mode is activated by the center console "drive mode" button, the verbiage indicates that stability control and traction are both fully enabled. However, on the prior page, there is apparently another sport mode that can be activated by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal. Here it seems to indicate that both stability control and traction are turned off.

Are there multiple sport modes? Do they do the same thing? And which leave stability control and traction enabled?

Thanks!
Saish

·
5,629 Posts
The supplemental manual is just confusing me. In the section where sport mode is activated by the center console "drive mode" button, the verbiage indicates that stability control and traction are both fully enabled. However, on the prior page, there is apparently another sport mode that can be activated by pressing the button on the end of the turn signal. Here it seems to indicate that both stability control and traction are turned off.

Are there multiple sport modes? Do they do the same thing? And which leave stability control and traction enabled?

Thanks!
Saish
The button on turn signal is the dampeners. (suspension)
The easter egg is track mode with a press of the button.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
The real easter egg is drift mode with the dampers in sport with traction control off.

Reactions: Paolo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like stated earlier, you can feel a slight push when activating to sport at a moderate speed. That push, and I have no proof of this, but in my opinion it is the computer biasing the algorithm that is used for power delivery to the rear a bit more under certain conditions/sensor inputs. I'd bet any money that if you were to look at tire wear on a RS that was strictly driven in normal the fronts would be a bit more worn than the rears as opposed to one driven in the other 3 modes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts