Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
that picture of the sub makes me so sad.
assuming its the size of whats under the grate on the right side and the rest is a ported "box" it looks like a 6" woofer at best.
good news is it removeable

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the Canadian build page, under standard features it lists: Mini spare tire and Tire mobility/Repair kit

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Most of my cars don't carry their spare tires anymore anyways. AAA can tow it home and I'll replace it there where I can be lazy and use airtools.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I still think getting a jack from another Focus will be a much, what if the hole is on the inner thread area of the rear tire? You can reach that while on the ground, you need to lift and remove tire to reach it. Then reinstall. But like I've said in other thread, if out of town I plan to have a spare in the car, even if it only fits on the rear of the car.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought a spare tire kit on eBay that included donut spare tire with adapter plate, jack for my SRT 8 challenger , the plate allows it to clear the brembo calipers.
I drove my car from Idaho to Alaska, u don't go with out one on that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I still think getting a jack from another Focus will be a much, what if the hole is on the inner thread area of the rear tire? You can reach that while on the ground, you need to lift and remove tire to reach it. Then reinstall. But like I've said in other thread, if out of town I plan to have a spare in the car, even if it only fits on the rear of the car.
Yeah for roadtrips I do always bring a full size spare for my cars (and trailer if towing). Around town I don't care to.

Since I'll be buying some random wheels (don't care what they look like) for DD with street tires once I find out what will fit I'll bring an R comp on one of the OEM forged wheels as a spare for road trips. Actually since any road trip I do in the Focus will be to a track event I guess I'll have 4 spares ;)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I bought a spare tire kit on eBay that included donut spare tire with adapter plate, jack for my SRT 8 challenger , the plate allows it to clear the brembo calipers.
I drove my car from Idaho to Alaska, u don't go with out one on that trip.

Just make sure the overall diameter matches. I'm sure a non-matching diameter will REALLY piss off the computers in this car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the gas take resides where the spare tire well used to be. It had to be moved because of the drive system and driveshaft.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just make sure the overall diameter matches. I'm sure a non-matching diameter will REALLY piss off the computers in this car.
Yeah the FoRS is not a car you want to mismatch wheel sizes or even tire treads on. One tire blows--replace them all! And rotate them every chance you get.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
As long as there is an AWD off option there should be no issue with mismatched size on rear for temp solution. May have to remember to turn it off until full size is back on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only thing that bothers me on the new rs is that there's no space for a spare tire. Like others i will have to put one in the trunk :(, but do you think there's enough space ? I mean, in my current car (fiesta) a full sized tire doesn't fit. The focus' trunk seems to be bigger though

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yeah the FoRS is not a car you want to mismatch wheel sizes or even tire treads on. One tire blows--replace them all! And rotate them every chance you get.
The Ford RS owners manual states it will tolerate,without damage, mixed worn and new tyres of the same specification aka same size. I can't remember which thread covered this to this an unequivocal conclusion.

If someone can recall the conversation and provide a link (hate to be uncommunicative :) ), it'd be appreciated.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Ford RS owners manual states it will tolerate,without damage, mixed worn and new tyres of the same specification aka same size. I can't remember which thread covered this to this an unequivocal conclusion.

If someone can recall the conversation and provide a link (hate to be uncommunicative :) ), it'd be appreciated.
heh smh

It's in the foreign market Focus RS service manual. Search for it. Don't be so gen-y-ish, lazy or spoonfed.

:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
So the RS will come with tubeless tires and not run-flat tires, correct? On a long road trip then if you need to change a tire what do you do? If you use the tire mobility kit to repair the tire and drive for say 80 miles can you still repair the tire or do you have to buy a new one? I know for run flats you need to buy a new one but what about tubeless.

Also, would it be possible to use a space saver tire in emergency situations or will it not fit/cause damage to the AWD system?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So the RS will come with tubeless tires and not run-flat tires, correct? On a long road trip then if you need to change a tire what do you do? If you use the tire mobility kit to repair the tire and drive for say 80 miles can you still repair the tire or do you have to buy a new one? I know for run flats you need to buy a new one but what about tubeless.

Also, would it be possible to use a space saver tire in emergency situations or will it not fit/cause damage to the AWD system?
Yes, they are not run-flats. The intent with the repair kit is exactly the same as a space saver spare: to allow you to get the car to the nearest shop. As standard tires, they can be professionally repaired. I would personally not trust a repair job with what I will be putting the tires through, but that is your call.

Ford has said that you can replace singular tires and the drivetrain will be able to cope with the slight difference in circumference without issue. This says to me that you can use a full-diameter spare. I would not risk a space saver on the rear axle if the nominal diameter is not the same. The ST carries a full sized spare, so it seems like you shouldn't risk a smaller-diameter space saver on the front axle either.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ford also stated that a wrong size tire or miss matched tire would cause the RDU to disconnect, thus giving you Front wheel drive only. So no damage would occur to RDU, should also illuminate a dash warning light as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
14 Participants
danielf99645
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing