Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone purchased one?
I'm having difficulty to find the correct one (bolt pattern/etc). Are they all the same?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
has anyone purchased one?
I'm having difficulty to find the correct one (bolt pattern/etc). Are they all the same?
You could find a donut pretty easily that would fit the rears. Whatever the ST guys are doing would work. I think there was a Volvo full diameter space saver that was mentioned.

But you won't be able to find something to fit the front. You need 18" wheels to clear those calipers, and even then a big offset is required so that the spokes don't hit the face of the caliper. If you really want a spacesaver, your best bet would be to get whatever the ST guys use and if you have a blowout on the front wheels you'd have to steal a wheel from the rear and then put the spare on the back. The only other option that I have seen people do on the RS is buy a full size wheel, put a crappy tire on it, and just leave it in the trunk. Not a good solution IMO, but I've also never felt the need for a spare tire and haven't missed them when they're gone.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not a bad thing to keep around. Yes it adds weight, but I'm not worried about that on my daily commute and the DFW roads suck! I need to look at the foam under the hatch floor to see if it can be hollowed out somewhere to keep the spare from moving around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is .2 inch difference acceptable for this AWD system? I also do want a spare. Has anyone confirmed what spare most are running on an ST? (that will work on RS rear) Is it a closer match?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kind of wish this thread had more action... I'm also looking for a spare tire. Quick search on tire-rack and this was the cheapest option.

I'd rather have a space saver. Maybe somebody has a focus ST and can find a part number for the spare tire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Poking around the ST forums it seems they have a full size spare. This feature seems to be almost universally despised due to space and weight disadvantages (apparently they are all pro race car drivers over there). Personally I too would like the peace of mind to carry a spare. A quick search on tire rack and this was the cheapest option. I'm leaning towards this unless somebody can come up with something better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I was checking TireRack- they sell a 18" steel wheel for $77.00. Might be a good idea to mount up a proper sized tire for those special times when a roofing nail surprises you!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wouldn't the wheel/tire combo should at the very least fit for the rear. I mean if I can change a wheel I wouldn't mind swapping two of them to get back on the road. Send the rear to the front and use the smaller spare for the rear.
The swap wouldn't be that bad with only one jack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya you should never mount a spare on the front, you lose a lot of steering/breaking capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Will this fit somewhere under the rear foam or is this is this just loose in the rear?
If you were to remove the subwoofer from the trunk (or live in a region that didn't get the 10 speaker system) you could cut the subwoofer hole a bit bigger to fit that wheel under the floor of the trunk. I'm not completely sure what the width of that specific spare is, but it should fit alright. If you're willing to sacrifice something that's already sitting in that foam...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Maybe I can answer a few of the questions here,
1. My Jag space saver will fit on the front, is that an emergency, yes.
2. Is it going to be loose, yes. Along with anything else anyone carries in a hatchback, bags, boxes, luggage, whatever.
3. will it fit under the current boot floor, I doubt it. That's why ford gives us flat fix.

My plan was to get rid of the stock styrofoam and subwoofer and lower the boot floor. Having the boot floor lower makes everything better for me.
There is a thread in another forum that describes the "boot mod" I followed that but changed some things. A 2 inch foam insulation board can be carved to fit the boot of the boot and give your boot mat a flat top. Some other boot mat can go on top of the foam. Mine is a husky liner for the ST. The husky boot liner has the cutout for the side mounted sub from the ST.
I got a used ST side sub and hooked it up in place of the stock sub, mounted to the right rear side of the boot. The husky liner is cut out for the sub.
What you do with your amps and such is up to you.
No, I'm not getting into any more detail that this. Flame all you want.
I provided the info that I figured out, I'm not going to lead anyone through this.
This works for me, I need to carry a spare through the remote north woods.

Here is another way to mod the boot for a spare,
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/9-focus-rs-discussions/28673-what-do-you-keep-back-your-car-3.html#post617297

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
What is the height of the tire compared to stock?
Thx, found one off of an S-type jag that fits perfectly. Also got a 12v electric jack that plugs into cigarette holder on eBay for $60. Now I don't worry about driving in remote areas (mtns/backroads.). Do you have a source for a replacement 115 85 18 tire should I need one?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thx, found one off of an S-type jag that fits perfectly. Also got a 12v electric jack that plugs into cigarette holder on eBay for $60. Now I don't worry about driving in remote areas (mtns/backroads.). Do you have a source for a replacement 115 85 18 tire should I need one?
I have not seen any replacement tires in that size in the US. It looked like it might be available in the UK. It would probably be cheaper just to buy another Jag donut with the wheel.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Volvo S60R or S70R is the right spare for the stock wheels/tires. I have an extra set if someone is interested (includes Focus jack ).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
where were you a week ago!
By the way, unfortunately Volvo donut WILL NOT cover front calipers :(
Also tried 20mm spacers - still not covering! :(
Saw this Jag one too late.

Volvo S60R or S70R is the right spare for the stock wheels/tires. I have an extra set if someone is interested (includes Focus jack ).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts