Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Viofo A119 V3 dash cam and VIOFO HK3ACC hardwire kit. I also have a radar detector and a gentex mirror to hard-wire into my 2018 Focus RS.

I had the idea to put the VIOFO hardware kit in the space behind the overhead console. I primarily want to do this to make it easier to change out if I need to (so I don't have to fish/unfish it across the headliner, down the A pillar, etc.; I can just disconnect it behind the overhead console if I want to get rid of it or change it.

A couple of thoughts/questions..
  1. Is there enough space to fit the HK3ACC hardwire kit easily in the space above the overhead console?
  2. Any thoughts on whether it will survive here? It seems it would hotter hear as it would be directly behind the roof. Maybe it needs to go down near the cabin fuse box
I am not certain whether both 12V and switched power are already both available behind the overhead console, and I am concerned about running 3 additional devices off of what might be there (if it is there); so I am planning to run wires off fuse taps for 12V and switched/acc.

Any other comments?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Want directions to get in there to poke around yourself?

Open the sunglasses holder and leave it down, then take some plastic pry tools (like this set: Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit, 4 Pc.) an you'll gently pry the panel that immediately surrounds the map lights. go one by one and slowly around and you'll be able to get most of the console down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Want directions to get in there to poke around yourself?

Open the sunglasses holder and leave it down, then take some plastic pry tools (like this set: Nylon Pry Bar Installer Kit, 4 Pc.) an you'll gently pry the panel that immediately surrounds the map lights. go one by one and slowly around and you'll be able to get most of the console down.
Make a video please! :) I've tried multiple times to figure out where to pry but have not been successful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is plenty of room, but you will need to use a Dremel to trim some of the plastic up there. I installed a Homelink 3-button controller up there.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Make a video please! :) I've tried multiple times to figure out where to pry but have not been successful.
#Edit: here is a video I found that is just like our cars:

Sorry for the delay... best I can do currently is a picture. Start with a plastic pry tool at this spot and then just work your way around that kind-a-horseshoe-shaped panel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the video and
#Edit: here is a video I found that is just like our cars:

Sorry for the delay... best I can do currently is a picture. Start with a plastic pry tool at this spot and then just work your way around that kind-a-horseshoe-shaped panel

View attachment 338450
Thanks. That is helpful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is plenty of room, but you will need to use a Dremel to trim some of the plastic up there. I installed a Homelink 3-button controller up there.
Thanks. It seems like there should be space, especially if I don't try to shove all the extra wire from the kit in there. Now I just need to get the garage cleaned up so I have some space to work. Lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts