Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on 50,000 miles. Some stuff I've noticed from my commute between the Seattle area and Portland.

This car is very sensitive to temperature, moisture and pressure. I lose 2-3mpg on days where the barometer is low, even more when the weather is wet. I think this is a combination of engine efficiency and drag from the wide tires on wet roads.

Additionally, the aerodynamic drag difference between 60 and 70mph is incredible, slowing down to 60 will gain me at least 3-4 miles per gallon. Cruised out at 60mph I can generally see 370-400 miles per tank. If I do the 70mph speed limit that drops to below 350, and I can forget about getting 300 miles to a tank at 80mph. LoL

I pay attention to the prevailing wind direction as well and the mileage drop is very noticeable when I'm fighting a headwind. I assume this is due to the front and rear wing and the increased drag from the large grill. Overall this car is a great highway cruiser with the drive mode set to normal.

I'm on Pilot Sport 4S tires now and love them in wet weather. These tires on this car is a great combination on wet roads. Hydroplaning with these tires is rare, and when it does happen control loss is minimal. Just a shimmy and a wiggle and she'll be back to tracking true. Very similar to my WRX in those conditions.

The turning radius is pathetic. I need to parallel park where I stay down in Portland and navigating narrow streets is embarrassing. U-turns are often impossible. Pulling into or out of a parking space can be a chore.

The low profile tires are risky on potholed roads. I lost a tire just the other day to a pothole when I was doing 25 miles per hour. Costco's tire warranty is great and they had one the next morning. I had to get the car towed since the tire wouldn't hold pressure and it doesn't have a spare.

I spent some time sleeping in my car when I didn't have a place to stay. The front seats are useless for sleeping in. The backseat is comfortable as long as I don't need to stretch my legs, but I haven't figured out a way to tuck the seatbelt latches in so they sometimes stabbed me in the sides. It's very quiet inside, good sound insulation.

Hanging a suit from the hooks works OK, but I have to make sure to lay the bottom on the seat. There isn't enough space to hang a coat without it touching the seat. Trunk wise I always have plenty of room for my rollaboard suitcase and my work bag, and whatever else I need to bring with me on a trip. I've also had plenty of room for the various Ikea trips I've done. Come to think of it I've never really had an issue with cargo space even after some of our bigger Costco trips.

I have a baby and a two year old both in rear-facing seats. They fit OK, but the front seats must be moved forward. My 5 foot 4 wife fits fine in the passenger seat and on my side I don't have to adjust my seat at all. For what it's worth though, I like to sit very close to the steering wheel and in a rather upright position. I'm 6 feet 210lbs and comfortable. I wouldn't want to ride in the passenger seat.

Anyways, none of this is anything new but I figured it might be helpful for someone evaluating an RS as a daily commuter.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I only cared about a few things:

Does it haul ass? YES
Is is badass looking? YES
Unicorn? YES
Turbo? YES
Hatchback? YES
4 doors? YES

The rest is adaptable to me, as I commute 80 miles a day in mine................................

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Great observations. I've only done 2 stints of driving for more than 1-2 hours at a time, but hearing that this car can get 400 miles out of a tank gives me hope! I usually plan for a fill-up every 300 miles on trips.

I have a cross-country trip planned for the RS in about a year and change. I'll be getting a 17" spare from an Escape and a SE Focus jack before the trip. Those may be worth keeping in your kitbag if you're doing a lot of highway driving in remote areas.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I spent some time sleeping in my car when I didn't have a place to stay. The front seats are useless for sleeping in. The backseat is comfortable as long as I don't need to stretch my legs, but I haven't figured out a way to tuck the seatbelt latches in so they sometimes stabbed me in the sides. It's very quiet inside, good sound insulation.
Have you tried flipping the rear seat bottoms up and folding the rear backs down. You'll have much more flat room from the rear seats and trunk to lay across. Still won't be able to stretch out but you'll at least not be in a sitting position.

I have a baby and a two year old both in rear-facing seats. They fit OK, but the front seats must be moved forward. My 5 foot 4 wife fits fine in the passenger seat and on my side I don't have to adjust my seat at all. For what it's worth though, I like to sit very close to the steering wheel and in a rather upright position. I'm 6 feet 210lbs and comfortable. I wouldn't want to ride in the passenger seat.
Yep. With rear-facing seats, both front occupants will have much less room. Good thing my wife and I are not very big people.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Coming up on 50,000 miles. Some stuff I've noticed from my commute between the Seattle area and Portland.

This car is very sensitive to temperature, moisture and pressure. I lose 2-3mpg on days where the barometer is low, even more when the weather is wet. I think this is a combination of engine efficiency and drag from the wide tires on wet roads.

Additionally, the aerodynamic drag difference between 60 and 70mph is incredible, slowing down to 60 will gain me at least 3-4 miles per gallon. Cruised out at 60mph I can generally see 370-400 miles per tank. If I do the 70mph speed limit that drops to below 350, and I can forget about getting 300 miles to a tank at 80mph. LoL

I pay attention to the prevailing wind direction as well and the mileage drop is very noticeable when I'm fighting a headwind. I assume this is due to the front and rear wing and the increased drag from the large grill. Overall this car is a great highway cruiser with the drive mode set to normal.

I'm on Pilot Sport 4S tires now and love them in wet weather. These tires on this car is a great combination on wet roads. Hydroplaning with these tires is rare, and when it does happen control loss is minimal. Just a shimmy and a wiggle and she'll be back to tracking true. Very similar to my WRX in those conditions.

The turning radius is pathetic. I need to parallel park where I stay down in Portland and navigating narrow streets is embarrassing. U-turns are often impossible. Pulling into or out of a parking space can be a chore.

The low profile tires are risky on potholed roads. I lost a tire just the other day to a pothole when I was doing 25 miles per hour. Costco's tire warranty is great and they had one the next morning. I had to get the car towed since the tire wouldn't hold pressure and it doesn't have a spare.

Hanging a suit from the hooks works OK, but I have to make sure to lay the bottom on the seat. There isn't enough space to hang a coat without it touching the seat. Trunk wise I always have plenty of room for my rollaboard suitcase and my work bag, and whatever else I need to bring with me on a trip. I've also had plenty of room for the various Ikea trips I've done. Come to think of it I've never really had an issue with cargo space even after some of our bigger Costco trips.

Anyways, none of this is anything new but I figured it might be helpful for someone evaluating an RS as a daily commuter.
Its not necessarily all about the aerodynamics but can also be about the operating efficiency envelope of the engine with regards to throttle opening v rpm v load. In other words the engine may just be at more efficient point in the torque curve. Hard to say but this engine develops so much of its torque at low rpm it may also be a factor.
It does look like a bit of a brick though. Dont know what the CF is.

Ciao

·
Registered
281 Posts
The first thing I did with my RS was take it on a month long climbing trip. In hindsight it wasn't a great idea, but it held up pretty well. The terrain wasn't terrible, but a bit challenging with the low clearance. Could have used the Wavetrac but it didn't ruin my trip. I think I ended up exposing a lot of the rattles earlier, especially with the hatch.

I wish I had made a foam mat. It's not exactly comfortable with that trench between the boot and the seats folded down. I'm also a bit too tall to fit in there stretched out, but it's better than the other options.

I really didn't think much about it until afterwards but the wheels and tires handled the rocky terrain rather well. Multiple nights I did doughnuts in gravel, dirt, and rocky roads. No punctures or welts, etc. I bent a fin on the bottom right front and destroyed my undertray but otherwise the car was good as new with a paint correction upon my return.

I was really surprised at how well the ZL1 rock guards performed. ZERO rock chips resulting from the trip. No road rash. I'm really happy I went with those instead of the unsighly rally armor ones.

I have learned my lesson though. A wrap, Reiger recce suspension, and rally wheels & tires are in order.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have done numerous 8 hour trips with this car, and I will agree, the MPG seems to drop tremendously when you travel 70 mph vs 80 mph.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried flipping the rear seat bottoms up and folding the rear backs down. You'll have much more flat room from the rear seats and trunk to lay across. Still won't be able to stretch out but you'll at least not be in a sitting position.
I think I've tried that and IIRC it doesn't quite work. I think maybe there's a gap in between the seats and the foam trunk floor. Also, I had lots of bags and suitcases in my trunk which would have been in the way.

Its not necessarily all about the aerodynamics but can also be about the operating efficiency envelope of the engine with regards to throttle opening v rpm v load. In other words the engine may just be at more efficient point in the torque curve. Hard to say but this engine develops so much of its torque at low rpm it may also be a factor.
It does look like a bit of a brick though. Dont know what the CF is.

Ciao
I'm sure it's a combination of things, but you're right the engine does very well at 2,100 RPM or less.

I was really surprised at how well the ZL1 rock guards performed. ZERO rock chips resulting from the trip. No road rash. I'm really happy I went with those instead of the unsighly rally armor ones.
I have the same ones and they really do work well for how small they are. I've even done some spirited driving on dirt roads with minimal debris hitting my paint.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also forgot to mention that I have the RS2 package. The heated seat and lumbar adjustment is great for calming my back on longer trips, and the steering wheel and mirror heat are super helpful on cold days. It's quite wet here in the Pacific Northwest and there's been times where my side mirrors have fogged up driving through mist. Being able to heat them up and clear the moisture is a nice capability.

My biggest complaint about the car is that it doesn't come with an auto-dimming rearview mirror. It's the only car I've had that didn't come with one. It's not even an option.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I have the RS2 package. The heated seat and lumbar adjustment is great for calming my back on longer trips, and the steering wheel and mirror heat are super helpful on cold days. It's quite wet here in the Pacific Northwest and there's been times where my side mirrors have fogged up driving through mist. Being able to heat them up and clear the moisture is a nice capability.

My biggest complaint about the car is that it doesn't come with an auto-dimming rearview mirror. It's the only car I've had that didn't come with one. It's not even an option.
You can easily add the auto-dimming rearview mirror if you're handy. There's a great thread about that somewhere, I used the info provided and added the escape mirror to my 2016 and I love it at night. Wish we could add the side dimming mirrors too now as they are the ones blinding me now!

I believe the rearview mirror mount changed at some point once they got rid of the huge plastic housing (for sensors we dont get in NA) at the upper center portion of the windshield. So depending on the year of your RS make sure you get the right hardware if you decide to do that small mod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Completely agree with the turning radius (it is legitimately the worst I have ever experienced, maybe on par with my moms old fwd Caddy STS). That said, I have put almost 5k on mine in four months and absolutely love the car. Spend 1.5+ hours in it every day and have a blast each time I drive it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Great and highly unexpected review. We are the same size, hence good to know I can sleep in the RS in a pinch. I also recently moved to the Pilot Sport 4S on 18 inch which I like a lot. Plan to get the DSC Sport V1 controller next Spring. Favorite mods, Borla exhaust and stereo upgrade (front speakers, more power and sub key), custom shift knob (NB) and production number plate. 32k km so far. #JCG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great and highly unexpected review. We are the same size, hence good to know I can sleep in the RS in a pinch. I also recently moved to the Pilot Sport 4S on 18 inch which I like a lot. Plan to get the DSC Sport V1 controller next Spring. Favorite mods, Borla exhaust and stereo upgrade (front speakers, more power and sub key), custom shift knob (NB) and production number plate. 32k km so far. #JCG
Can you provide more detail on the stereo upgrades you did? I really want an upgrade. The stock Sony stuff kind of stinks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I only cared about a few things:

Does it haul ass? YES
Is is badass looking? YES
Unicorn? YES
Turbo? YES
Hatchback? YES
4 doors? YES

The rest is adaptable to me, as I commute 80 miles a day in mine................................
aweksme

How the F$&K are you getting that MPG? Is it all downhill? Is the motor off? I have a 2016 with 4400 miles on the stock tires in LA and get 180 per tank.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aweksme

How the F$&K are you getting that MPG? Is it all downhill? Is the motor off? I have a 2016 with 4400 miles on the stock tires in LA and get 180 per tank.
My first 20,000 miles were while I lived near Barstow. The gas in CA sucks and just getting better gas once out of the state was worth 2mpg.

I never got less than 200 miles on a tank though. That’s terrible.

I set the cruise control at 60mph and it returns that mileage. No traffic on my route and it’s pure highway driving. Round trip so it’s not downhill.

The days I get the best mileage is when the air pressure is really high. I suspect I had a tailwind for my best 32+mpg trips. When we have a low move in my mileage drops to 29-30mpg, even worse if the roads are wet. Usually can’t do better than 27 in those conditions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts