Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought a few small issues to a dealership yesterday and because one of them might have to do with brakes, I asked to have an SVT mechanic work on my car. The representative didn't even know who was SVT certified at the place, so he went to the back and asked someone else. As he and another guy walked back out of the room, I heard the other guy say to him "SVT? Is it an RS? but the RS isn't an SVT car though." Yeah sure but that's because SVT was American and has since become a part of FP, so in North America they pretty much mean the same thing. Apparently they're the only SVT dealer in town and he told me there was actually only one SVT mechanic there. At this point I'm kinda doubting if he really made the note to have this mechanic take my car after hearing the exchange between him and that other guy.

So my question is who's supposed to be working on these cars at dealers anyway? I know most dealerships think this is just a regular focus, and I'm fine with regular mechanics working on common parts like the infotainment or whatnot, but I don't quite trust them when it comes to unique parts on a car that they think they know well of, because thinking you know something while you don't often leads to stuff going wrong; for what I know they didn't even seem to know how to put the undertray back properly. I believe I heard or read somewhere that only SVT mechanics went through the training course for this car? Was I wrong for asking for an SVT mechanic?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I brought a few small issues to a dealership yesterday and because one of them might have to do with brakes, I asked to have an SVT mechanic work on my car. The representative didn't even know who was SVT certified at the place, so he went to the back and asked someone else. As he and another guy walked back out of the room, I heard the other guy say to him "SVT? Is it an RS? but the RS isn't an SVT car though." Yeah sure but that's because SVT was American and has since become a part of FP, so in North America they pretty much mean the same thing. Apparently they're the only SVT dealer in town and he told me there was actually only one SVT mechanic there. At this point I'm kinda doubting if he really made the note to have this mechanic take my car after hearing the exchange between him and that other guy.

So my question is who's supposed to be working on these cars at dealers anyway? I know most dealerships think this is just a regular focus, and I'm fine with regular mechanics working on common parts like the infotainment or whatnot, but I don't quite trust them when it comes to unique parts on a car that they think they know well of, because thinking you know something while you don't often leads to stuff going wrong; for what I know they didn't even seem to know how to put the undertray back properly. I believe I heard or read somewhere that only SVT mechanics went through the training course for this car? Was I wrong for asking for an SVT mechanic?
I don’t think SVT has been used as a brand in 15 years.

Just ask if the mechanics have experience with the RS, or ask on this forum for a good dealer recommendation in your area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What are you looking to get done? True car geeks do their own oil changes. For me, it actually saves me time and I can justify buying tools (like race ramps) instead of paying the stealership to change the oil. That and I know the correct stuff goes in the motor.

If the tech is following the service manual, they shouldn't have any problems (even with the undertray). The service manuals are written so even a monkey can follow them, and isn't that the standard to which the techs are trained anyway? If your local dealership can't even figure that out then you need a new dealership and the (old) dealership can buy you a new undertray. I just hope that the bad tech didn't fix your HG...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you looking to get done? True car geeks do their own oil changes. For me, it actually saves me time and I can justify buying tools (like race ramps) instead of paying the stealership to change the oil. That and I know the correct stuff goes in the motor.

If the tech is following the service manual, they shouldn't have any problems (even with the undertray). The service manuals are written so even a monkey can follow them, and isn't that the standard to which the techs are trained anyway? If your local dealership can't even figure that out then you need a new dealership and the (old) dealership can buy you a new undertray. I just hope that the bad tech didn't fix your HG...
Yeah I'm about to do my own oil change, and yes I hate letting anyone I don't know or trust work on my car, but current conditions can't allow me to invest in much garage equipment. I was booking to get them to look at the steering pull when stopping, and some metal rattle from the exhausts that I couldn't figure out the source.

I have a feeling that either regular mechanics didn't read the service manual on this car or some just can't seem to understand it. How the undertray was supposed to be installed was fairly obvious to me and I legit don't know how someone could put it back wrong, most likely just some irresponsible mechanic not giving a flying f*uck if things will fall apart after you leave.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t think SVT has been used as a brand in 15 years.

Just ask if the mechanics have experience with the RS, or ask on this forum for a good dealer recommendation in your area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah but apparently Ford is still calling these dealers "SVT certified dealerships" or something with the SVT name in it, which really covers all FP cars now. Guess it's because it's always been SVT in north america and they never bothered to change.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Just stop. Your car isnt special. Not really. It’s a parts bin car, nothing super complicated to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
To ease your mind, all you actually need is a Master Tech that's certified to work on the FoRS. (Especially for the HG work)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah I'm about to do my own oil change, and yes I hate letting anyone I don't know or trust work on my car, but current conditions can't allow me to invest in much garage equipment. I was booking to get them to look at the steering pull when stopping, and some metal rattle from the exhausts that I couldn't figure out the source.

I have a feeling that either regular mechanics didn't read the service manual on this car or some just can't seem to understand it. How the undertray was supposed to be installed was fairly obvious to me and I legit don't know how someone could put it back wrong, most likely just some irresponsible mechanic not giving a flying f*uck if things will fall apart after you leave.
Ya, the quality of workmanship is very much dealer dependent. That's a super frustrating part of the "Ford experience," and turned many people here off from buying Ford again. If you grab yourself some 56" Race Ramps and install some jacking bars, you can do almost all of the work that you need to do in your driveway.

Race Ramps - 2 Piece 56" Low Profile Ramps - RR-56-2 Canada :: Race Ramps Canada :: Shop Online :: Fast Toys Performance Parts

The pulling when braking could be a braking issue but likely a bad alignment. Don't trust the dealer to do an alignment. If it's free, sure, but don't pay money for it. I'd bet a beer that they can't duplicate the metal rattle from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
You have to ask if they have a tech with experience with the RS, though the service manager will dictate policy decisions.

My experiences with two dealers:

- Missed an oil leak

- Undertray not attached to the brace clip, missing nylon clips, all screws finger tight. To their defence the service manual I have is poor re this part. But now I know they have zero experience with the RS

- Brake fluid fill tank cap not tightened, fell off on the drive home from dealer spilling brake fluid. I found the cap in the engine bay . . .

- Plastic residue on front fender and headlight from an impact. It should buff out. Occurred when hood was open i.e. not at home.

- Dent high on rear door, way too high for a parking lot. Dealer took responsibility, but could not keep or make an appointment to fix it. I paid for it.

- Could not adjust shift cables

- Installed clutch slave line above between shift cables. It should be below. The stress from contact popped off the slave line. I fixed it.

- Oil & brakes I do, because of event schedule vs maintenance schedule

- Time for service taking two the four times (days) time estimated

- Rarely phoning to advise on progress / delays

- Unable to keep service appointments

- Inconsistent lug nut torques

Major work has been done competently. Warranty has been respected. Front line staff have been fine.

I suggest you cancel your maintenance program and start buying tools!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm happy for all of you that do your own work, and I've been there - but the return on investment (time versus cost) on doing my own work is terrible. Nowadays I've found it's much, much easier and less stressful to have a mechanic (dealership or otherwise) who I am willing to rely on.

This is something the good luxury dealerships have figured out and capitalize on. Roll into a Lexus dealership with a $25k CPO and they'll take great care of you, while Ford boggles at what to do with their customers who have anything remotely special.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm happy for all of you that do your own work, and I've been there - but the return on investment (time versus cost) on doing my own work is terrible. Nowadays I've found it's much, much easier and less stressful to have a mechanic (dealership or otherwise) who I am willing to rely on.

This is something the good luxury dealerships have figured out and capitalize on. Roll into a Lexus dealership with a $25k CPO and they'll take great care of you, while Ford boggles at what to do with their customers who have anything remotely special.
I agree with that. I’m an RS owner and my loaner car is a base fiesta. Ya. No that sucks.

But Lexus will put me in a new GS.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to ask if they have a tech with experience with the RS, though the service manager will dictate policy decisions.

My experiences with two dealers:

- Missed an oil leak

- Undertray not attached to the brace clip, missing nylon clips, all screws finger tight. To their defence the service manual I have is poor re this part. But now I know they have zero experience with the RS

- Brake fluid fill tank cap not tightened, fell off on the drive home from dealer spilling brake fluid. I found the cap in the engine bay . . .

- Plastic residue on front fender and headlight from an impact. It should buff out. Occurred when hood was open i.e. not at home.

- Dent high on rear door, way too high for a parking lot. Dealer took responsibility, but could not keep or make an appointment to fix it. I paid for it.

- Could not adjust shift cables

- Installed clutch slave line above between shift cables. It should be below. The stress from contact popped off the slave line. I fixed it.

- Oil & brakes I do, because of event schedule vs maintenance schedule

- Time for service taking two the four times (days) time estimated

- Rarely phoning to advise on progress / delays

- Unable to keep service appointments

- Inconsistent lug nut torques

Major work has been done competently. Warranty has been respected. Front line staff have been fine.

I suggest you cancel your maintenance program and start buying tools!
That's a bit worse than my average experience with dealership mechanics. I think mostly it's because they really don't care about your car, and some of them are too confident thinking they can do anything because they're experienced. Yes good advice, I'll start buying and learning things so I can take care of my own car.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
That's a bit worse than my average experience with dealership mechanics. I think mostly it's because they really don't care about your car, and some of them are too confident thinking they can do anything because they're experienced. Yes good advice, I'll start buying and learning things so I can take care of my own car.
Yes, big contrast to Mazda - they would try harder

Inexperience, lack of attention to details, and careless buttoning up. And you can't discount a narcissistic service manager poisoning his department.

Ford is stressed with lack of profitability and waves of recalls . . . we suffer.

At least doing your own work, while not always fun, is satisfying.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sucks not knowing if the mechanics even have a clue about the car. I've been extremely lucky in that the only mechanic that has done any important work on my car (HG etc) has been another RS owner who works at the local Ford dealer. So he knows the car inside and out and has lots of experience working on it. I also know a few of the other mechanics there from my auto-x group and they would've been the ones to do any oil changes, tire changes etc so I'm confident that they are showing the RS the proper care. I know that's not the normal experience at most dealerships, I'm just fortunate. I'm working my way to having everything I need at home to do my own work as much as possible, but I don't even have a flat, covered parking space (much less a garage) to work in right now so it makes it pretty difficult.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SVT hasn't existed for years - your dealer prolly laughed at you for bringing that up to be honest.

This car was build by FP in Europe - nothing to do with FP America

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with that. I’m an RS owner and my loaner car is a base fiesta. Ya. No that sucks.

But Lexus will put me in a new GS.

This comes off as extremely entitled. What, you want them to put you in a Mustang 5.0 so you can go blow up the diff?

·
Registered
319 Posts
This comes off as extremely entitled. What, you want them to put you in a Mustang 5.0 so you can go blow up the diff?
Uh, my dad has an ATS, and Cadillac always puts him in a new car of some sort as a courtesy vehicle if they have his. When I had my car in for my HG repair, they gave me a base Focus and both him and my brother-in-law were laughing about how that's how Ford treats someone that buys a $40k car from them.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Best thing you can get at your local stealer is a senior master tech. That's who works on my car at the stealer. But even he managed to f something up when they changed my head last year for the recall as I have a small oil leak. The shop I use for oil changes, well a month ago he spotted the oil leak during a routine oil change. Not a big leak but enough that the undertray has oil stains. He said it looks like it's coming from the oil filter housing or close to it. RS is back at Ford with the same senior master tech who did the recall work. Yesterday they had it on the lift and running and he is trying to track it down. I love the RS very much but I'm growing real tired of dealing with post recall issues, as well as reading about them on here. This is my first domestic car from anyone. I'm more of a Japanese car kind of person and I've NEVER dealt with crap like this in 25 years of owning my own cars. The sheer incompetence I've read about on here is mind blowing. It's a simple turbo 4 cylinder. It shouldn't be rocket science. I hate to say this but if this isn't fixed permanently and I have to keep dealing with it the car will be sold or traded. And there is nothing on the market to replace it with. No interest in a heavy V8 RWD pony car. Only other hatch available is a VW Golf R which has very numb steering. The only other choice is a STi with the same damn motor since 2004, and no hatchback option. I want to keep my car for the next 20 years but dealing with Ford and the incompetent work is increasingly frustrating to say the least. I'm still baffled on how you ship a car out, with a lot of hype (much of it well deserved) with a big PR push (the video series on it, etc) on it, with the wrong head gasket. They claimed it was shipped with Mustang 2.3 EB HG, but I still don't buy it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think what you are running into here as a problem is that this is a very niche vehicle. Not a ton of people out there who are willing to pay 40k+ for what looks like (to most people) an economy hatchback car. When you have to explain to every person that you talk to that your car is not a normal Focus, and you then get to see the blank expressions on their faces eventually you realize that this was not a car for everyone. With that being said, the smaller the market the less focus a company is likely to put into all of the R&D. Even if the margins were excellent for Ford, the volume was not, and they would rather sell you an F-150. It is due to this that it is unlikely that any dealership is going to have a specialty technician for your Focus RS. Maybe for the high-performance Mustangs because they sell 10x as many of them as performance Focus(es?)(Foci?). Your best bet is to find a Ford Master Tech (like cornerexit said) at a dealership that has a good parts and service manager that you dont have to drive 4 hours to get to.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts