Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts

So this is going to be a thing apparently.

2.7 Ecoboost with an 8 speed auto transmission. "Sport" suspension and a few badges to boot.

Replacing the Sport edition with a bit more hp, probably going to be above $40k?

Thoughts?

I like the Explorer sport my parents bought. The Fusion sport was also nice for what it is. I haven't had the chance or desire to test the current Edge sport. I feel it's a big departure from what the ST line was, especially given the price tag of the current Edge sport. I'm also not really sure who it's targeting or why they changed it away from the old sport name. I think most people who are shopping those cars recognize the "sport" as the one with the bigger engine. The ST name, in comparison, is only really known to enthusiasts.

I guess we will see if it actually lives up to expectations, or if this is just the start of whoring out the ST badge instead of using the sport name. I surely hope it's not the latter.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The Edge Sport already had a 315 hp configuration, so a 20 hp bump is weak. I'm not opposed to hopped up SUVs, as I'm quite fond of the Macan, Cayenne, JGC Trackhawk, etc. But that needed to be a 400+ hp model to be interesting here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pass.
I'll stick to my Explorer Sport.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
The 335-HP 2019 Ford Edge ST Is a Thing Now

2018.jpg

It's no Fiesta ST, but 380 lb-ft of torque could make up for that.

By Nate Petroelje, Jan 11, 2018

Ford’s ST badge has become synonymous with hot-hatches, first with the Focus and then on the outstanding Fiesta. For 2019, comes a slightly different kind of hot hatch, the Ford Edge ST.

2019.jpg

A midsize crossover is going to behave differently than a compact or subcompact, but Ford says the emphasis on driving enjoyment remains consistent for this ST. The powertrain certainly suggests as much. The Edge ST will get the 2.7L twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 found in the Ford F-150 and the Fusion Sport, pushing 335 hp and 380lb-ft of torque through an eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive system. An ST-only sport button on the rotary-dial shifter found in the Edge activates a unique shift-schedule, ups throttle response, and holds gears through corners when necessary. A “relaxed ESC” setting can be activated on the ST, which according to one engineer at Ford, will “widen the window for stability control." But alas, a drift-mode it is not.

2020.jpg

The ST treatment for the mid-size crossover comes as part of a makeover for the mid-size crossover and Ford’s $7 billion re-allocation of resources from sedans to the SUVs. The Edge’s styling is squared-off, as the hood has been pulled forward and raised slightly. The ST is predictably a bit edgier (sorry), with twenty-one inch wheels that can be wrapped with Pirelli P Zero summer tires, 265-section at all four corners and filled with optional performance brakes.

2021.jpg

Lesser Edges get powertrain upgrades, too. The standard 2.0-liter EcoBoost gets 5 more horsepower, with an eight-speed automatic replacing the old six-speed.

2022.jpg

All models also benefit from a suite of driver assistance technologies, much of it standard. The Edge will watch your blind spots, keep you in your lane, and check cross traffic when backing out of that parking spot at the mall. A post-collision braking system, designed to automatically bring the car to a stop after initial impact, is newly optional.

2023.jpg

Ford hasn’t skimped on the connectivity, either. An embedded modem will provide WiFi to up to 10 devices and can stay connected to around 50 feet away. No more missing the big play when a wayward pigskin hits your dish at the tailgate. Ford has also integrated Amazon’s cloud-based Alexa voice service into Sync 3, meaning it will understand more natural speech. “Hey Alexa, start my Edge and crank Yacht Rock Radio” is now as simple as saying so, as is “Hey Alexa, warm up the house and turn on Yacht Rock Radio.”

2024.jpg

The 2019 Edge debuts at the Detroit Auto Show next week and hits showrooms this summer.

The 335-HP 2019 Ford Edge ST Is a Thing Now

·
Registered
81 Posts
It’s about time Ford brings in more enthusiasm into their line up, still not as crazy as the Trackhawk Jeep but maybe will get there some day, although still not a big fan of the SUV segment

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I can say first had that the Edge Sport is QUICK

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I actually like the Edge's....however, I wouldn't pay 40k+ for an Edge ST...when I could get a more luxurious SUV/Xover with similar/better power for the same price range.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Edge Sport already had a 315 hp configuration, so a 20 hp bump is weak. I'm not opposed to hopped up SUVs, as I'm quite fond of the Macan, Cayenne, JGC Trackhawk, etc. But that needed to be a 400+ hp model to be interesting here.

100% agree. 20 HP???
Pass.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was hoping for an Escape or Fusion ST, but this was quite the surprise, I give them props for leveraging the ST brand.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm not annoyed at its specs.

But I am annoyed at the dilution of the ST line. The entire reason they called the Fusion Sport "Sport" was because it did NOT have a manual transmission.

Now they are slapping it on a crossover thing with an automatic transmission (and not even a real DCT, which I could be okay with) so they are diluting the ST brand.

ST/RS should retain the hard core features that piss just as many people off as it pleases enthusiasts like us.

For the record, if the RS had offered a real DCT, I would have taken that option. Car would have had way more acceleration on hand. thanks to the full power, no boost lost shifting a DCT can offer. Gimme the DCT Fart noise.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not annoyed at its specs.

But I am annoyed at the dilution of the ST line. The entire reason they called the Fusion Sport "Sport" was because it did NOT have a manual transmission.

Now they are slapping it on a crossover thing with an automatic transmission (and not even a real DCT, which I could be okay with) so they are diluting the ST brand.

ST/RS should retain the hard core features that piss just as many people off as it pleases enthusiasts like us.

For the record, if the RS had offered a real DCT, I would have taken that option. Car would have had way more acceleration on hand. thanks to the full power, no boost lost shifting a DCT can offer. Gimme the DCT Fart noise.
I think every non-enthusiast knew that the sport trim had the bigger engine, and I'm not really sure what anyone gains by changing the name from sport to ST as this is essentially all they have done.

To non-enthusiasts, and by that I mean your typical crossover buyer, the ST name means nothing. It's just another two letter acronym like the SE. While I don't get it as much with the RS, back when I had the ST I would be asked all the time on how much fuel economy the thing gets because no one really knew or assumed it was any different than your every day Focus SE hatch. Maybe it's Ford's way of getting the badge name out there in the US, as the UK has the ST-line packages in lieu of the sport name. Perhaps we will start seeing ST on all of the models, which I agree with you, just dilutes the badge meaning for us enthusiasts.

I still like the idea of having fast engines in cross overs and would buy one of these (More likely the Explorer) if I had to, but adding the ST badge isn't doing anything for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I joined the military because I had been raised to think it was an honorable thing to serve... Be a part of something greater than yourself, defend freedom, all that nonsense... The experience sucks most of the time, but I try to tell myself that this nation is worth the sacrifice... (This is totally overdramatic, it really just paid for college, I'm a reservist, and I'm totally done after my contract expires... Other guys in my unit quote the motto "For Tricare!")

Then my damn fellow Americans have to go and get infatuated with SUVs and crossovers (my own wife has given in to a Forester for Christ's sake!) and come up with ways that they can violate the purity of enthusiast brands to make an extra buck by selling fat, lumbering, clumsy pose-mobiles to people who think they're part of "car culture" because they have a Motor Trend subscription and drive the slightly "sportier" version of the oil tanker they chose as a runabout.

What is left that's worth defending!? Is nothing sacred??

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
So much meh...
Should have at least put the 3.5L TT from the F-150 in it with dual port injection to push 455/470. They're going to charge $45-50k regardless, so at least give it ~100 ponies per $10k like the Focus ST and Focus RS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hopefully, they install the correct head ...bolts! :ughdance:

Seriously, I think it's a good idea. It's not supposed to be a big leap, essentially it's a slightly updated Sport which is now called an ST - but I think this will help broaden the ST nameplate which should be a good thing in the long run. I'm a fan of streamlined trim levels, the more logical the better. Why is a Limited F-150 top of the line while a Limited Explorer is not? Makes no sense.

Anyway, the Edge ST isn't for me, but there are plenty of people who say that about the RS for whom this may be a better fit.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hopefully, they install the correct head ...bolts! :ughdance:

Seriously, I think it's a good idea. It's not supposed to be a big leap, essentially it's a slightly updated Sport which is now called an ST - but I think this will help broaden the ST nameplate which should be a good thing in the long run. I'm a fan of streamlined trim levels, the more logical the better. Why is a Limited F-150 top of the line while a Limited Explorer is not? Makes no sense.

Anyway, the Edge ST isn't for me, but there are plenty of people who say that about the RS for whom this may be a better fit.
Pretty sure the Platinum is top for both, unless you count the Raptor or Explorer Sport (Even though both can cost less than Platinum trims).

·
Registered
400 Posts
my wife currently drives a '15 Edge Sport. While not the most exciting vehicle on the road, it's a pretty darn nice package if you like that form factor of a vehicle (and she does). It's surprisingly quick and packed with nice tech with a nice interior to boot. Not my cup of tea...but to each their own.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pretty sure the Platinum is top for both, unless you count the Raptor or Explorer Sport (Even though both can cost less than Platinum trims).
Incorrect. Limited is technically "top" of F-150 line, excluding Raptor. From the Ford order guide: XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, Limited, and Raptor. Explorer goes base, XLT, Limited, Sport and Platinum.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts
About this Discussion
214 Replies
73 Participants
jstein77
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing