Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be moving to Boise Idaho from California.

There are a few concerns that I have with moving. My buddy was mentioning to me that he used to live in Idaho and that my car will be to low to use as a daily. I am not looking to sell it so it would be rather unfortunate if I had to.

If I cannot use it as a daily I will have to sell it as well. . . . .

With this being brought up I was also thinking of the amount of salt and corrosion that could occur from the undercarriage due to the chemical and salt from the winter months.

I am looking for some input from some fellow RS owners that are in a similar situation.
Do you use it as a daily?

Have you had any issues in the winter months?

What have you done to be proactive?

Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The RS will be fine in snow covered areas, unless maybe in some occasional massive storms if the streets/highways dont get cleared at least once in a while during the storm. I never had to stay home due to a storm since owning the RS, snowdays are the best days with the RS actually for me!

There a few good threads about snow duty. Main tips I can think of are (+/- in order):
1) Dedicated snow tires (and wheels preferably, 18in is most common, there are 17in wheels that will also fit and make for a great winter setup)
2) Aluminum skid plate (ADF or DMGfab)
3) Yearly rustproofing (I use Krown, many other options mentionned across the forum)
4) Mudflaps (again many options)
5) PPF (at least bumper and half hood/fenders and mirrors)
6) Avoid lowering and adding front splitters!
7) Avoid tailgating!

All of the above will minimize wear. Personally I wont lower the car to avoid making the ground clearance worse, those chunks of frozen ice/slush hit the skidplate hard but will usually fit below the stock front spoiler, any lower might yield a different result! The lowest point is actually not the bumper spoiler but somewhere below the engine (4in clearance I think I measured when I did). I’ll be taking my flowdesign front lip off for winter to avoid damage. I keep even greater distances to cars in front in winter to avoid salt chunks/rocks hitting the front of the car.

Here are some of the related thread that might help you with this topic:

https://www.focusrs.org/#/topics/39562

https://www.focusrs.org/#/topics/262

https://www.focusrs.org/#/topics/58913

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
The RS will be fine in snow covered areas, unless maybe in some occasional massive storms if the streets/highways dont get cleared at least once in a while during the storm. I never had to stay home due to a storm since owning the RS, snowdays are the best days with the RS actually for me!

There a few good threads about snow duty. Main tips I can think of are (+/- in order):
1) Dedicated snow tires (and wheels preferably, 18in is most common, there are 17in wheels that will also fit and make for a great winter setup)
3) Yearly rustproofing (I use Krown, many other options mentionned across the forum)
7) Avoid tailgating!

All of the above will minimize wear. Personally I wont lower the car to avoid making the ground clearance worse, those chunks of frozen ice/slush hit the skidplate hard but will usually fit below the stock front spoiler, any lower might yield a different result! The lowest point is actually not the bumper spoiler but somewhere below the engine (4in clearance I think I measured when I did). I’ll be taking my flowdesign front lip off for winter to avoid damage. I keep even greater distances to cars in front in winter to avoid salt chunks/rocks hitting the front of the car.

Why is the RS outside? It's white, you can barely see it under that snow, good thing it didn't get plowed!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am going to be moving to Boise Idaho from California.

There are a few concerns that I have with moving. My buddy was mentioning to me that he used to live in Idaho and that my car will be to low to use as a daily. I am not looking to sell it so it would be rather unfortunate if I had to.

If I cannot use it as a daily I will have to sell it as well. . . . .

With this being brought up I was also thinking of the amount of salt and corrosion that could occur from the undercarriage due to the chemical and salt from the winter months.

I am looking for some input from some fellow RS owners that are in a similar situation.

Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

Thank you
I live in northern Canada and drive it as my daily all year round, so it definitely can be done. However, that's not to say there aren't potential issues with driving the RS in snowy conditions. First and foremost good winter tires are important. Secondly, it just takes some practice to get used to navigating the conditions. I've been stuck once in two winters and that was because we had a heavy snowfall overnight and the snow was actually about 3-4 inches deeper than the clearance on the car so I bottomed out and lost all traction. Other than that I've had no problems, but I think a lot of that is just experience driving in winter and the fact that we have some pretty decent road clearing equipment and crews.

If you're not used to driving in snowy conditions, the best advice is to go slower than you think you have to. Everything takes longer to do. braking, turning, accelerating are all impacted. you have to be more aware of the conditions of the road and other drivers. Also it's a good idea to keep a spare set of warm clothing or a blanket in the back with some emergency equipment just in case you get stuck somewhere. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a winter emergency kit somewhere that'd have everything you would need.

If you have any other questions just let me know, I'd be happy to help.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Why is the RS outside? It's white, you can barely see it under that snow, good thing it didn't get plowed!
We share our garage in a weird way!

The GF uses it in winter so her car is nice and warm all the time! I use it in the summer so the RS is inside when I ride the bike to work!

I dont mind clearing snow and the GF is happy! The guy that clear our driveway always leaves at least two feet of snow next to the car it’s fine!

Great advice mentionned above about driving techniques too! If there are any in that area invest in a winter driving course! They are fun and cheap and you get to learn a lot about you car’s behavior!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have family out in Boise and go out that way a few times a year. With all that has been said and shared. You'll be more then ok with the RS in Idaho. Boise really doesn't get all that much snow and the RS is a blast in the snow I have to drive it up to the mountains to just have fun with it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've driven in snowy conditions ever since I've gotten my liscense. That said I had a Subaru wrx for 10 years prior to owning the RS. So far I drove for one winter. It's my daily driver.

No. It's been great. Only negative it's lower then I'd like. I've nailed some large slush/ice chunks from transport trucks. Although unsettling to say the least the RS received no damage!

I have done a few things to prepare for winter service.

-Put two coats of fiberglass resin on the undertray, inside and outside, otherwise it would of filled with slush and collapsed.

-It came with a block heater and I added a oil pan heater. Works absolutely fantastic with both. -38C start ups were fine.

-I definitely use the winter tires it came with, they worked awesome, even on dry pavment.

-I installed Rally Armour mud flaps and had paint protection film package installed on the entire front hood, bumper, fenders and rocker panels

-I plan on adding wheel arch trim after I touch up the several rock chips I received on the inside lip of the back wheel arches. The fronts has ppf curled around them so they were fine

-I had a Krown rust coating done which involves some holes being drilled and penetrating oil getting sprayed into all body panels and externally underneath the entire vehicle. This will be repeated yearly at the end of the summer. It makes a mess but far far better then rust occurring from road salt.

If I had a choice I'd get a used Honda Civic or some kind of winter beater but that said the RS is absolutely fantastic in the snow. AWD drifts are so much fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts

The RS is great in the snow. Drift mode + inches of snow is a great way to have fun without shredding $$ tires! I've practically used it as a snow plow, too.

Some things that work for me:
1. If the nice aluminum trays mentioned are beyond your budget then coating the undertray in straight epoxy resin is a great option. I used West Systems' 105A epoxy (1 qt) and 206A slow hardener. Put a couple coats on each side and haven't had an issue yet. Don't need to add fiberglass. It adds a lot of strength and waterproofing without much weight.
2. For corrosion mitigation I spray the underside of the car with SaltAway when washing the car in the winter. It helps dissolve the salt and leaves a thin coating to prevent corrosion. I made an undercarriage sprayer out of PVC for less than $20. I see surface rust on the undercarriage but that's pretty normal.
3. Having touch-up paint to fix any chips as soon as possible.
4. Paint protection film, especially on the wheel arches.
5. Snow tires and dedicated wheels.
6. Small folding shovel that stays in the car in the winter.
7. Breathe, remember the entropy of the universe only increases, cars eventually rust, drifting in snow is happiness and life is short.

Best of luck with the move!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

7) Avoid tailgating!

Wonderful information my friend! Thank you all very much. Glad to hear that she will be fine through the winter! My only thing is the wheels. I went ahead and bought some DSW 06 Continental tires to plow through the snow but I am still running 19's

Is this an issue and if so why? Would it just be build up of snow in the wheel well?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wonderful information my friend! Thank you all very much. Glad to hear that she will be fine through the winter! My only thing is the wheels. I went ahead and bought some DSW 06 Continental tires to plow through the snow but I am still running 19's

Is this an issue and if so why? Would it just be build up of snow in the wheel well?
No issue with 19's. People choose 18's for a few reasons:
1) $$$ - 18's are usually cheaper
2) The larger sidewall will handle a pothole better

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you sell your RS because you're afraid of having to drive it in the snow, then boy are you cheating yourself out of some fun. Speaking from experience.
No no! I was worried of ruining the car. I set it up to drive in Mammoth when I bought the tires for it. Its a ridiculous amount of fun in the snow for sure. Just Don't want it to rot away from the salt. Now that I see there a ton of ways to prevent the reckage havoc will be sought as the snow falls and the roads slick!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No issue with 19's. People choose 18's for a few reasons:
1) $$$ - 18's are usually cheaper
2) The larger sidewall will handle a pothole better
That makes sense. Maybe I will look into some smaller wheels for the Winter.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
No no! I was worried of ruining the car. I set it up to drive in Mammoth when I bought the tires for it. Its a ridiculous amount of fun in the snow for sure. Just Don't want it to rot away from the salt. Now that I see there a ton of ways to prevent the reckage havoc will be sought as the snow falls and the roads slick!
Well I tell ya what man, wouldnt you rather have it and it slowly go through the wear and tears of DD'ing a car you love than not have it at all just because of a fear of it being ruined?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Live in Michigan with salty winters.Had a WRX that I bought as a daily driver. Modded it and drove the snot out of it and took care of it. Upgraded to the RS for the same duty. Love my car and it will get a little beaten up from the Winter's in the end but it's for having fun in the snow and getting me up to northern Michigan to snow ski. PPF for the front clip, aluminum undertray an of course snow tires. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts

18's are better than 19's when dealing with potholes and rough roads in the winter..... taller sidewall and the cost of replacing the forged rims if you have them. They list at $1995 CAN or $1400 -$1500 US.

·
Registered
460 Posts
if a buddy of mine suggested that, I'd think he was an idiot. Other replies have covered my recommendations. We get ~100"+ per season in Western NY where I am... no issues. I did, however, feel one trip out might have been a mistake when I deliberately chose the unplowed back roads just after a storm. Every other time I had zero trouble following the approach described in this thread.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
158 Posts
Buy a beater for the winter. I drive a 07 Subaru Legacy and love it. Put some snows on it and it drives through anything and I could care less about the salt. Just run it through a car wash with a underbody wash and ?. I know I’ll get hate from some rs owners for saying buy a beater but I didn’t spend 45k on a car to let Michigan winters tear it apart.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts