Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here is into sim racing as I'm debating getting into it?

Would love to increase my seat time, but it seems it's far more cost effective to do so from my living room. Been playing racing games since a kid, but have been playing Gran Turismo 4 on PS4 using a controller a lot recently (annoying there's no mk3 RS in the game though!). Would love to sit in an actual seat, use a 3rd pedal and shifter, get some realistic feedback and all that good stuff. Any recommendations for a $500-1,000 setup (excluding TV and computer/gaming system) for PS4 and GT4? Is PS4 and GT4 a good place to start? What else to think about? TV stand (~$150-200?)? Been trying to google for some out of the box setups, but not really seeing anything? Finding chasis and wheels, and pedals, and plenty of bits and pieces, but trying to simplify it.

Seeing stuff like this, but just overwhelmed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wondering if anyone here is into sim racing as I'm debating getting into it?
I basically skipped college for sim racing. There are better forums to ask but I'll answer your questions then provide some thoughts.

As with any hobby there are depths to it. How deep do you want to go?

Is PS4 and GT4 a good place to start?
I'm pretty sure one of those numbers is a typo. You're either playing on a PS2 or you're playing GT Sport.

Yes, GT Sport is a great place to start for many reasons, not least of which is you already have the game. I think they did a great job with the online platform and the sportsmanship ratings.

Wheel and Pedals
For a $1000 total rig I would go with a Logitech setup that best fits your budget. They have great customer service and are accommodating with their warranty. I'm not sure on price since I haven't looked at them for a while. My first wheel was a Logitech Driving Force GT. Fantastic wheel for the price. Actually, fantastic wheel full stop. Only complaints were the paddles. They're a bit old and no longer produced.

However pedals in this price range will always be basic. Some people like Thrustmaster, but I found their pedals to be even worse than Logi and more expensive.

Fantatec is fantastic, but wheel+pedals will cost you around $1000.

Skip the third pedal and go with paddles; it won't help you shift better. With paddles you'll learn shift points anyway.

But if you really want it, there are DIY options out there where you can use an actual H-pattern.

If you're not looking to get too deep I would use whatever is left over from the wheel budget to look at rigs.

There are many manufacturers out there, especially in Europe. 4PLAY, RSeat like you posted, Sim-Lab, Pro-Sim, Simetik, etc. A cursory search on Amazon and EBay returns many results.

It's very easy to spend $1000+ on a setup. I can't tell you for sure since I've always built my own.

If you just want to try it out, you can go with just a stand, and use whatever comfortable chair you like.

Going Native
If you want to go deeper iRacing is the best. It's expensive, but I find it most accurate. Obviously I can't compare the Formula or Stock cars, but the GT3 cars I can. It definitely does a better job replicating real life conditions than the other offerings. However, you can play Assetto and Project Cars on consoles, unlike with iRacing.

Resources
As always, Reddit has a pretty fantastic wiki.

·
Registered
659 Posts
^ Those are all good suggestions. Except you can get a $600 Fanatec setup for PS4 that can also work for computers. Just beware that if you buy Fanatec setup second hand you need to get the original invoices because otherwise they won’t give you tech support.

I have the comparable setup for Xbox one. I do think it has helped my consistency and reactions at track days. It was especially fun to learn Big Willow on Project Cars 2 and then go drive it in real life. I haven’t done much online competition - just do my own practice from time to time. I built my own collapsible wheel stand for it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
you can get a $600 Fanatec setup for PS4 that can also work for computers. Just beware that if you buy Fanatec setup second hand you need to get the original invoices because otherwise they won’t give you tech support.
Yes, thanks for the correction. I meant to say it'll cost more than your PS4.

Either way I'm a huge fan of Fanatec because they are just absolutely dedicated to cross platform compatibility. I might go back to a Fanatec Podium when GT7 comes out.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, super helpful @SenderPiggins and @Camper Van Someren !!! And yea, I thought the current version of Gran Turismo was 4? No idea why, but I'm playing the latest version on PS4. So that's sport. Nice setup though @Camper Van Someren That's some handy work!

I did come across the Fanatec website in my searches, so will go take another look there. Cross-platform sounds like a good idea as I may upgrade or change to PC longer run. It's pretty apparent one could spend more money on a setup than on a Miata! :p

Was really interested in using a clutch and actually shift knob like I would in my RS. I want to get better at heal toe and shifting in general while also getting more comfortable shifting while driving on a race track. But I could see how a cheaper setup would not feel mechanical and not be worth it.

Should also check with the wife to make sure I'm going to allowed to set this up in our loft/heft office.

Not a redditer, but got on the simracing subreddit on that and got a tremendous amount of info as well.

Came across this locally as well: https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/aurora-fanatec-sim-racing-gear-and/7001186821.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
Should also check with the wife to make sure I'm going to allowed to set this up in our loft/heft office.
Famous last words. lol.

Rev matching is easy enough to practice on your commute. YMMV. Plus, once you've gotten use out of it, you'll probably never use it again. I'm pretty sure GT doesn't simulate clutch action.

I suppose I can't say I ever sim race cars with manual gearboxes. I'm mostly on the Endurance and Formula cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm a big sim racing person. I started off small and homemade and similar to @SenderPiggins I had a Logitech Driving Force GT. Definitely don't buy one of those today :)

Then I got more serious and treated myself to a Fanatec setup. I have friends with a Logitech rig and they now want Fanatec stuff. It's fantastic.

I do enjoy shifting especially on slower cars, it adds another level of challenge so I have a 7 speed shifter from Fanatec.

I also have more fun than my friends when doing rally racing because I have the handbrake. It's a great addition.

The nice part about this stuff is you can start small and build on. For example, I have the Next Level Racing seat/enclosure, you can buy a simple seat with a post, then keep upgrading to a full rig as you go.
FirstRacingSeat.jpg
WP_20180108_14_00_27_Pro.jpg

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn! That's a nice setup @stevenhook !!!

Probably putting the brakes on this purchase for a few months. Wife and i got a puppy last week and well, it's time consuming. Have barely had a minute to pee when at home. Hoping the pup doesn't need to go out every 10 minutes at some point in 2019. Cute as heck, love her to death though. Will probably start with a wheel and pedal setup, then add from there. Hopefully for the Holidays!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts