Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know for sure if the sideskirts from other focus of the same generation are identical or different to the ones on the RS? Just like the 2015 SE in the attached picture for instance?

15+ focus with the color matched skirts sure look identical to me. But online references always say “without RS”. Can’t imagine Ford made RS specific skirts...

Need to replace the driver side and found one for cheap, plus it’s white just like my RS (not the proper white but it’s a better base to have it painted to match than black for instance).

Thought I could repair it but looking more closely it has cracked along the edge quite bad! Ice driving was fun though!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
It certainly looks the same. Depending on the price, I would say just go for it!

Also, I really want to try ice driving...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s worth it thrust me! I had so much fun I wasnt even mad about the damage! I also dented my front driver door quite a bit when I hit the snowbanks sideways at the end of the straight! Cant get it fixed until the confinement is over!

Get some good rest the days prior to the event and prep in advance! This was my mistake I was on the waiting list for the event and waited to the last minute to prep the car (was sure nobody would cancel). I went to bed late, got up early, lost an hour due to daylight saving time change...

I was going to give the sideskirt a try but figured I could ask first if anyone knew for sure!

If they had made an RS specific skirt I sure hope they would have made it look different...probably is just the same!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know the RS matches the side skirts from the ST, Rebel Devil replaced my right side one with one from an ST when I had my car rebuilt. So if the ST matches the RS, and the ST matches base models, then base models match RS. But I can't say for certain if ST matches base models but it certainly looks like it does.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @procitysam this is useful information.

I saw people on other focus forums fitting ST sideskirts on base models that didnt come with the nicer skirts. So that probably confirms they are all interchangeable.

Weird thing is all Ford parts site have a different P/N for the RS which more than twice the price than base/ST models side skirts.

I’m getting closer to simply buying the skirt I found for cheap and reporting back later if if fits or not! I saw on the pictures they have a small plastic flap installed at the aft end that we dont have on the RS (just fwd of the aft wheel) bit it seems removable and otherwise I cant spot any noticeable difference in the pictures, everything is shaped exactly the same.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have doubts, reach out to Mike Johnson at Rebel Devil Customs on Facebook, man's a Focus genius lol. He'll definitely be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There are some RS specific parts that aren't so RS specific. Even though the rear passenger door is RS only, I had one replaced from a SE and it looks the same. I imagine there is an odd trim piece that is RS specific and was moved over.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m in the process of buying that skirt I found. Not much doubt left actually. Some guys even swapped ST skirts to sedans and there is no way the RS skirts can be any different than other models.

Probably has to do with some clip that can be transferred to the new skirt as @phillofoc suggested. Maybe has to do with the foam piece inside out skirts, havent seen this pieces in most skirts I looked at. This can be moved over to the new skirt easily if that’s the case.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the offer I made on the skirt was rejected, seller seems to think I wanted shipping to be included in my offer which was clearly to be added on top of my offer. I wrote back but havent heard back yet...which gave me time to take a closer look and actually fix my skirt.

The Flowdesign skirt extensions mounting hardware basically ripped the bottom of the skirt inboard to varying degrees at each mounting point. I bonded the skirt pieces back in with quick curing epoxy adhesive and used 1.5in diameter stainless washers on the inside to spread the load further around where the skirt has ripped off.

At the front where it had cracked was mainly on the bottom so bolting the extension back on gave it more than enough rigidity, I also reinforced the crack with a good amount of epoxy in the broken radius. It really is as solid as new now.

Only visual defect is on the outboard upper edge where there is a tiny crack in the paint, approximately 18in long, mostly looks like a tiny scratch for anyone that doesnt know what happened. And is not noticeable for anything more than 2 feet.

The skirt also cracked at the weakest point just below the joint between the front fender and door, which I also bonded back with epoxy. Gave it a coat of touchup paint and will give it another coat later. I can live with so little visible defect for saving buying the skirt and having it painted!

Didnt take pictures of the actual repair I did cause my phone was upstairs and my hands were too dirty/sticky to go up and grab it!

I looked at the skirt closely and cant seem to find any difference with any other model skirts. MAYBE just has to do with the foam insert in the middle of the skirt (havent seen it on the ones from base models but doesnt mean they dont have them), the paint protection film at the back and the missing little flap at the back that base models have. Clearly not a reason to be 3x the cost for the supposedly RS specific skirt!

Thanks for your input to those that have replied! If I ever go sideways in the snowbank again I’ll probably have to replace it and I’ll clearly look for a cheap base model skirt for replacement. Totally planning to go back next year so you never know!

Got to get my door fixed after that virus is over though!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
So the offer I made on the skirt was rejected, seller seems to think I wanted shipping to be included in my offer which was clearly to be added on top of my offer. I wrote back but havent heard back yet...which gave me time to take a closer look and actually fix my skirt.

The Flowdesign skirt extensions mounting hardware basically ripped the bottom of the skirt inboard to varying degrees at each mounting point. I bonded the skirt pieces back in with quick curing epoxy adhesive and used 1.5in diameter stainless washers on the inside to spread the load further around where the skirt has ripped off.

At the front where it had cracked was mainly on the bottom so bolting the extension back on gave it more than enough rigidity, I also reinforced the crack with a good amount of epoxy in the broken radius. It really is as solid as new now.

Only visual defect is on the outboard upper edge where there is a tiny crack in the paint, approximately 18in long, mostly looks like a tiny scratch for anyone that doesnt know what happened. And is not noticeable for anything more than 2 feet.

The skirt also cracked at the weakest point just below the joint between the front fender and door, which I also bonded back with epoxy. Gave it a coat of touchup paint and will give it another coat later. I can live with so little visible defect for saving buying the skirt and having it painted!

Didnt take pictures of the actual repair I did cause my phone was upstairs and my hands were too dirty/sticky to go up and grab it!

I looked at the skirt closely and cant seem to find any difference with any other model skirts. MAYBE just has to do with the foam insert in the middle of the skirt (havent seen it on the ones from base models but doesnt mean they dont have them), the paint protection film at the back and the missing little flap at the back that base models have. Clearly not a reason to be 3x the cost for the supposedly RS specific skirt!

Thanks for your input to those that have replied! If I ever go sideways in the snowbank again I’ll probably have to replace it and I’ll clearly look for a cheap base model skirt for replacement. Totally planning to go back next year so you never know!

Got to get my door fixed after that virus is over though!
When you say the Flow Designs Skirt Extensions ripped your skirt, you mean it added additional pressure to the sort because you ere ice driving?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say the Flow Designs Skirt Extensions ripped your skirt, you mean it added additional pressure to the sort because you ere ice driving?
I braked too late at the end of the straight and ended sideways in packed snow up to the bottom of the windows...dont worry it wont happen under normal circumstances they are very solid once mounted. Wouldnt have happened either just by ice driving all day. It all is due to going off track and the associated impact on the bottom of the skirt.

Since the extensions hang out the bottom of the skirt and are mounted at their inboard edge without much material protruding towards the center of the car, it was the first thing to hit and had a good moments arm to just rip the plastic off the skirt around each washer on the inside.

I was wondering today while fixing the skirt if somehow even though the extension mounting bolts ripped holes at the bottom of the skirt it might have contributed to saving the rest of the skirt by distributing the impact, but I’ll never know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts