Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Should I powdercoat them white?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
183 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree on this one.

I thought I learned my lesson on the OZ's so when I got the Braids I decided to spend the extra money and had them ceramic coated (on the outside AND the inner barrel). The first few washes, yes, the brake dust and grime seemed to mostly wash off, but after a year or so, it started to stain, leaving a light yellow/brown tinge on the areas that got a lot of brake dust.

I went back to the shop that did the ceramic coating (big shop that does a lot of exotics) since I found a document saying I had a 3-year guarantee from them and was told that no, they could not honor it since I did not read the fine print. He pointed out the fine print saying that "ceramic coating is only semi-permanent" and that I had to have them do a special detail service on them at least 4 times a year for the 3-year guarantee to be honored. I was miffed, so they gave me a free wheel detail as a "courtesy" for my issue, but they were not able to clean off the staining.

Needless to say, I'm over ceramic coating...

OP, do what you think looks good. I said "no" on my original post assuming you like a clean look. I obviously don't give a $hit so I like my dirty @ss white wheels. To me, Braids look better dirty, they are more "rally" that way (plus it hides the stains ;))
What ceramic coat did they use? Also why would you have a shop do them when a five year old could handle a simple job like that. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
What ceramic coat did they use? Also why would you have a shop do them when a five year old could handle a simple job like that. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I believe it was opticoat, not sure on the specific application. I had it done by a shop because it was convenient (just dropped off my wheels on my way to work, pick up on my way home), plus with 2 little kids, it was one less thing to deal with and I wanted it "done right". I also thought having the "3 yr guarantee" meant I had some support if I had any issues. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus RS
183 Posts
Sounds like it was not properly applied. Something like ceramic coat on wheels literally takes 2-3 beers on a Sunday to complete right. Hope you have better luck next time, but to say ceramic coat doesn’t work overall I would disagree but understand where your coming from.
I believe it was opticoat, not sure on the specific application. I had it done by a shop because it was convenient (just dropped off my wheels on my way to work, pick up on my way home), plus with 2 little kids, it was one less thing to deal with and I wanted it "done right". I also thought having the "3 yr guarantee" meant I had some support if I had any issues. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
Stupid statement warning…
If, you’re, changing the color, you can always change it again if you don’t like it for whatever reason.
If you’re buying a different color, obviously that’s a bigger commitment, but that can be undone too. (💸)
As far as cleanliness, to me, these rims are like windows. They need cleaned often and thoroughly. There is no panacea.
Lots of, been there rolled on them, advice…any closer to a decision?

·
Registered
2018 NB
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Please do post the after pics! Looking forward to seeing them.
Will do! New Conti DWS arrived at the wheel repair shop yesterday so hopefully they’ll wrap em up by the weekend(?) I need to order new lug nuts too. I get the feeling the existing ones are gonna look like **** against the fresh powder coat :(

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Looks MUCH better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
2018 NB
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks folks! My detail guy was here when I put the stickers on & ceramic coated them immediately after…but yeah…they’ve already got some dust lol. Fortunately there’s a DIY carwash RIGHT next door to my company’s new warehouse :cool: Also, I went full retard and added a set of Ray’s FNII lugnuts to replace the rusty mutekis. MAN, they are NICE!!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts