Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Should I powdercoat them white?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 NB
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sending off my black TE37’s for curb-rash repair tomorrow (fkn ATL “variable width” sidewalks…don’t get me started….)

I’ve always loved the look of NB with white tarmacs but can’t stomach putting wheels that heavy on the car.

What do y’all think? I’d want to re-sticker them as well.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Unless you like washing your wheels, I'd say no. This is coming from someone who has owned 2 sets of white wheels lol

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I like white on blue, but I think it would be too bright on a 6 spoke rim and highlight the gaps. Looks ok on the Tarmacs since they are almost completely solid. I wouldn't even try that on my CE's with far more spokes, for the same reason.

·
Registered
2018 NB
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I wish I could find a set of white wheels I liked for DD use that didn’t weigh a godzillion pounds. I’ve considered getting a set of NT03’s and spraying them white with appliance epoxy but talk about “tough to keep clean” :(

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
NO

·
Registered
2016 RS
68 Posts
YES go with white! I was going white myself, for my winter wheel set. Like the OZ tarmac, but prefer spoke type wheels. Was going with fifteen52 Chicane in silver then paint them white myself. However.... after 2+ months on backorder I change over to that wheel in gold and will stick with gold, it was my #2 color choice. I don't worry too much about cleaning I do detail it out time to time but don't freak out when dirty like the above photos. Better dirty and white vs silver and not looking dirty. That is just me.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
My GTA has white SS rims, and I like it, but only when its clean. A trip to the gas station will put brake dust on them lol.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,507 Posts
Gotta agree with @BigFatFlip on this one. I got white Work Emotions on my Civic Si. While they looked sexy when they were clean, never again will I buy white wheels. Takes too much time keeping them clean. On the other hand, if a lot of free time is a luxury you happen to have, I say go for it!

If I were to powdercoat my matte black TE37s, I'd probably go with bronze. Or, if I had a NB RS, gold.

Reactions: Wiley Marmot

·
Registered
414 Posts
I suppose I could have been a "bit" more specific in my heartfelt, but overly emotional first response. Had a '98 Z28 back when; bright metallic green; chrome Borbet OEM wheels. Tire Rack had the same exact wheel on fire sale as they were white. Snapped up a set of four and had Blizzak snows mounted on 'em. Those photos of his white OZs; BigFatLip posted above are the spitting image of my white Borbets for the entire time they were on the car; except for the first 10-20 minutes they were on the Z; every season. NOT a pretty sight!

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Worried about dirt just ceramic coat them. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I'm gonna have to disagree on this one.

I thought I learned my lesson on the OZ's so when I got the Braids I decided to spend the extra money and had them ceramic coated (on the outside AND the inner barrel). The first few washes, yes, the brake dust and grime seemed to mostly wash off, but after a year or so, it started to stain, leaving a light yellow/brown tinge on the areas that got a lot of brake dust.

I went back to the shop that did the ceramic coating (big shop that does a lot of exotics) since I found a document saying I had a 3-year guarantee from them and was told that no, they could not honor it since I did not read the fine print. He pointed out the fine print saying that "ceramic coating is only semi-permanent" and that I had to have them do a special detail service on them at least 4 times a year for the 3-year guarantee to be honored. I was miffed, so they gave me a free wheel detail as a "courtesy" for my issue, but they were not able to clean off the staining.

Needless to say, I'm over ceramic coating...

OP, do what you think looks good. I said "no" on my original post assuming you like a clean look. I obviously don't give a $hit so I like my dirty @ss white wheels. To me, Braids look better dirty, they are more "rally" that way (plus it hides the stains ;))

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Gotta agree with @BigFatFlip on this one. I got white Work Emotions on my Civic Si. While they looked sexy when they were clean, never again will I buy white wheels. Takes too much time keeping them clean. On the other hand, if a lot of free time is a luxury you happen to have, I say go for it!

If I were to powdercoat my matte black TE37s, I'd probably go with bronze. Or, if I had a NB RS, gold.

Let me know if you are ever getting rid of the Blue ones. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Si2RS
1 - 20 of 38 Posts