Ford Focus RS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Oh, 300 miles a month is nothing. The average US person was driving 1000/month (aka 12,000 miles / year).

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Hey I'm 18 in the national guard and i have dreamed of owning a focus RS for years my papa has a Saleen focus and i have loved that car since I was young i have loved the look of the 16-18 RS since I saw a youtuber driving it as his daily and he had no complaints but you know the internet and all that so I figured I would ask the Focus RS and ST Communities and no it will not be driven a lot of miles in a day about 300 miles. Thoughts and suggestions would be nice. And no modifications will be done other than rims and tires.
Keep in mind, if common sense entered into car buying, horses would be more popular.
Follow your heart, but your wallet is your compass.
There is no perfect car. Most people own two.
There have been some good alternate car brand suggestions. Spend some time in their forum. Ask the same question. Keep an eye on brands that are mentioned more than once across the car community. Honestly, the RS probably won’t be one of them.

·
Registered
2018 Race Red Ford Focus RS, Chicago
627 Posts
I am going against the consensus here and if you have the cash to afford the RS go for it. This is a moment in time where this car is available and you can find lots of them with low miles right now, I just took a peek online. A lot of RS’s are modded and I would avoid one of those although others might disagree. With the push towards BEV and or green vehicles this type of vehicle may be rare and making it more expensive and possibly outlawed or at least restricted, remember “Cash for Clunkers”? Could Cash for Gassers in the future, how soon that happens I don’t know but the RS is available now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Keep in mind, if common sense entered into car buying, horses would be more popular.
Follow your heart, but your wallet is your compass.
There is no perfect car. Most people own two.
There have been some good alternate car brand suggestions. Spend some time in their forum. Ask the same question. Keep an eye on brands that are mentioned more than once across the car community. Honestly, the RS probably won’t be one of them.
i am leaning toward a awd or fwd vehicle less than 100,000 if possible but like someone said before i will possibly have time to buy one in a year or so when the car's value depreciates more

·
Registered
67 Posts
Take it from someone who has gone through an RDU, 2 headgaskets, a turbo, a cam profiler, and a right front wheel assembly. If you plan on hooning the car a little bit it will come back on you. Stuff is expensive and E-2/E-3 pay isn't all that much. Insurance on it is going to be a good bit and im sure they are trying to sell them for 30k now with all the used car craziness going on.

If you can try to get one that doesn't have a sunroof or the maps package. Maps are pretty useless in my opinion as Android Auto/Car Play is easier to use and does so much more than ford stock.

Plus if your doing dirt roads i would suggest swapping the underside tray with a metal one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I'm 18 in the national guard and i have dreamed of owning a focus RS for years my papa has a Saleen focus and i have loved that car since I was young i have loved the look of the 16-18 RS since I saw a youtuber driving it as his daily and he had no complaints but you know the internet and all that so I figured I would ask the Focus RS and ST Communities and no it will not be driven a lot of miles in a day about 300 miles. Thoughts and suggestions would be nice. And no modifications will be done other than rims and tires.
At just 18 years old, I highly recommend that you look into the cost of insurance before you buy one. I don't think it's going to be cheap!

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
At just 18 years old, I highly recommend that you look into the cost of insurance before you buy one. I don't think it's going to be cheap!
If you are not a member yet, try to get USAA (insurance) and NavyFed (for future financing, i know you said you're planning to pay cash)

Reactions: bendyboy0402

·
Registered
7 Posts
I daily my RS, I'm at ~101,000 miles
The car sucks on roads that are not perfectly smooth.
Rally Sport might be the name but, it's not the case.

I love the car but, just going down my driveway sometimes makes me wish I didn't have it.
If you can afford it I would recommend some KW suspension so you don't hate your life but that's an additional 2500 to 3000 dollars.

Unmodified I had the following issues
Throttle body got stuck open had to tow the car since it wouldn't start
3x rear main seal leaks
Head gasket blew
Turbo blew up at 50k miles, some of the spline broke off, so I got 7psi of boost instead of 20+
Front right wheel assembly almost broke off, control arms
Front axel seals leaking, 2x times

That being said, for the last 40k miles I've had a dyno tune from Brentuning and the car has been ok.
I am currently trying to figure out why I keep misfiring in overboost condition. I think the spark plugs are bad.

This is probably just my case since I've put so many miles on the car.

IMO, there are many better cars out there.
The RS is cool not because it does everything the best. It's cool because it disrupted the American market of subaru and gti owners.

If the corolla GR is as cool as I think it will be. That will most likely be a better car, daily driver wise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Take it from someone who has gone through an RDU, 2 headgaskets, a turbo, a cam profiler, and a right front wheel assembly. If you plan on hooning the car a little bit it will come back on you. Stuff is expensive and E-2/E-3 pay isn't all that much. Insurance on it is going to be a good bit and im sure they are trying to sell them for 30k now with all the used car craziness going on.

If you can try to get one that doesn't have a sunroof or the maps package. Maps are pretty useless in my opinion as Android Auto/Car Play is easier to use and does so much more than ford stock.

Plus if your doing dirt roads i would suggest swapping the underside tray with a metal one.
thnks

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I daily my RS, I'm at ~101,000 miles
The car sucks on roads that are not perfectly smooth.
Rally Sport might be the name but, it's not the case.

I love the car but, just going down my driveway sometimes makes me wish I didn't have it.
If you can afford it I would recommend some KW suspension so you don't hate your life but that's an additional 2500 to 3000 dollars.

Unmodified I had the following issues
Throttle body got stuck open had to tow the car since it wouldn't start
3x rear main seal leaks
Head gasket blew
Turbo blew up at 50k miles, some of the spline broke off, so I got 7psi of boost instead of 20+
Front right wheel assembly almost broke off, control arms
Front axel seals leaking, 2x times

That being said, for the last 40k miles I've had a dyno tune from Brentuning and the car has been ok.
I am currently trying to figure out why I keep misfiring in overboost condition. I think the spark plugs are bad.

This is probably just my case since I've put so many miles on the car.

IMO, there are many better cars out there.
The RS is cool not because it does everything the best. It's cool because it disrupted the American market of subaru and gti owners.

If the corolla GR is as cool as I think it will be. That will most likely be a better car, daily driver wise.
lmmfao....why are you suffering dump that Biatchhh..if its such a pain?...I daily but only have 70K+, I was getting bored with my commute 43 miles each way and decided to use track mode...it woke the little Biatchhh up and I'm enjoying the drive again, is it Lexus smooth no, but its not a Lexus ...Issues: head gasket (duh) and associated stuff, oil leak, she farts on occasions....thats it so far...And I beat the snout out of it...So if its ever listed for sale..its been beat on and driven in the rain, snow and sleet...I would buy it again in a Heart Beat...jmho

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I switch back and forth between Sport and Normal dampers all the time.

I usually drive the car in Track Mode - Sport Shocks like most everyone here. I also spend some time in Drift mode, cause its fun.

·
Banned
16 Posts

300 miles per/day or 30 miles per/day? I’m just wondering if that’s a typo…. I only ask that because the RS isn’t great on MPGs & so you’ll be filling up all the time.

I definitely don’t want to steer you in a different direction, however it is a high performance street legal rally car & I wouldn’t say it’s a great commuter.

Have you had an opportunity to drive an RS yet? I’d recommend that before you go buying one sight unseen from Carvana etc. I’m not sure how big of a guy you are, however the heavily bolstered seats may or may not be an issue for you as well.

Any particular color you’d prefer? If I may recommend one thing, I’d say try for an RS2 pkg., so you can get that power-drivers seat. I’ve always felt it was easier to get comfortable in the RS with the power seat, as opposed to the manual level on the RS1.

Here’s mine: $6.19 $35 for 6 gallons of 91 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
300 miles per/day or 30 miles per/day? I’m just wondering if that’s a typo…. I only ask that because the RS isn’t great on MPGs & so you’ll be filling up all the time.

I definitely don’t want to steer you in a different direction, however it is a high performance street legal rally car & I wouldn’t say it’s a great commuter.

Have you had an opportunity to drive an RS yet? I’d recommend that before you go buying one sight unseen from Carvana etc. I’m not sure how big of a guy you are, however the heavily bolstered seats may or may not be an issue for you as well.

Any particular color you’d prefer? If I may recommend one thing, I’d say try for an RS2 pkg., so you can get that power-drivers seat. I’ve always felt it was easier to get comfortable in the RS with the power seat, as opposed to the manual level on the RS1.

Here’s mine: $6.19 $35 for 6 gallons of 91 lol

300 miles a month i don't drive around a lot was throwing a number out my butt

·
Banned
16 Posts
300 miles a month i don't drive around a lot was throwing a number out my butt

That averages out to less than 4K miles per/year. So that’s extremely low. Any luck with your search? Keep checking your local CarMax also & possibly take advantage of a free transfer or $500 transfer with no obligation to buy. They make it very convenient…. Otherwise you’ll probably have to fly to go get one & then have to deal with an inspection etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
That averages out to less than 4K miles per/year. So that’s extremely low. Any luck with your search? Keep checking your local CarMax also & possibly take advantage of a free transfer or $500 transfer with no obligation to buy. They make it very convenient…. Otherwise you’ll probably have to fly to go get one & then have to deal with an inspection etc.

found ones close to me off all colors

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would say buy it now. The last ones were made what, 3-4 years ago? Low mileage examples are getting rarer and rarer, as are the unmodded ones.

Just be diligent. Don't settle for one. Look for the right one.

That goes for both the dealer and the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I would say buy it now. The last ones were made what, 3-4 years ago? Low mileage examples are getting rarer and rarer, as are the unmodded ones.

Just be diligent. Don't settle for one. Look for the right one.

That goes for both the dealer and the car.
i'll have to wait till next year when i get paid after basics the day i get back

61 - 80 of 85 Posts