Ford Focus RS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
I don’t see any bad advise here.
Cars are so ”safe” today. I had a horrific crash at 19, that was due to inexperience. I’m pretty sure the RS would have nannied me through. If not, the crash protection is there.
@bendyboy0402 is at that transition age where he’s old enough to deploy to a war but he’s to young to buy a beer. He’s issued a weapon, but is 3 yrs. from owning a suppressor. (as a civ.)
Its tuff to advise someone you don’t know.
@dejan is way right. Our granddaughters are 18 & 21, and never..as in Never.. have been in trouble. (except for a broken rubber, which is different, but she fessed up, just in case, a good thing.😳)
So my advise is still, give it a shot. It will be a learning experience. If it would be a failure, you’re young, and will recover. (the other thing..Trojans)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Cars are so ”safe” today. I had a horrific crash at 19, that was due to inexperience. I’m pretty sure the RS would have nannied me through. If not, the crash protection is there.
@bendyboy0402 is at that transition age where he’s old enough to deploy to a war but he’s to young to buy a beer. He’s issued a weapon, but is 3 yrs. from owning a suppressor. (as a civ.)
@dejan is way right. Our granddaughters are 18 & 21, and never..as in Never.. have been in trouble. (except for a broken rubber, which is different, but she fessed up, just in case, a good thing.😳)
So my advise is still, give it a shot. It will be a learning experience. If it would be a failure, you’re young, and will recover. (the other thing..Trojans)
thanks for the story and support in my efforts to but a focus rs i would love to get one in blue grey or black any of the three years would be fantastic

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
i fo
found one for $26,307 on car gurus i will just have to wait and get it sadly need to save and buy it straight up instead of payments

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I missed the 300 miles a day bit. forget the RS. Id get a Prius or volt.

The RS is costing me about $1 / 5 miles to drive right now. Usually its $1 per 6.3 miles.

Thats $60 a day, a Prius will cost you significantly less.

Look at Fuelly.com and compare. Average MPG for a RS is around 21MPG, about 23mpg highway (best I've ever seen was 27mpg).

A Prius will top that in stop n' go traffic.

If you don't want any hybrid, look at Mazda 2, Fit, or Yaris.

At 300 miles a day, you need a fuel efficient car, that is cheaper on parts.

RS brakes are significantly more expensive than a Fit/Prius/etc. Tires much cheaper, and last longer..etc.

The RS costs more than just Fuel, the consumables cost much more too, tires, brakes...etc. Shocks are way more.

If you can afford the RS, and a beater, go for it. Otherwise, save the pennies for when you are a little older and can afford the expense, or don't drive as much anymore.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It depends on your finances. 300 miles a day for 2-3 years will seriously depreciate an RS. Also with a tune and aggressive driving it will need serious maintenance.
I love my RS as a daily 4 season driver and its cheaper miles that a Porsche or Ferrari which I would rather drive drive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think an RS would be a poor choice given your use case. 18 and driving 300 miles a day including dirt? The insurance and gas costs will be astronomical. Our car is a FWD based AWD with stiff suspension, low ground clearance, and no underbody protection, I guess it depends on what you mean by off road but unless it’s fine gravel it’s going to be uncomfortable in stock form.

I’d go for an old F150 or Ranger (if off road capability is important), or an old Prius (if fuel economy is more important). You’re 18, save your money and put it somewhere with compounding interest and thank yourself later. There has never been a worse time to buy a car, and you would be buying an RS at peak price and then it will be back to being a depreciating asset. Especially if you’re adding miles and using it as described.

Sorry to be Debbie downer. But save your money and bide your time, they made a lot of these cars and they’ll be available for a few years yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,574 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a Ford maverick, does really good MPG. As someone that once served, getting a cheaper car, even a beater is the way to go.

I had a 2006 GTO, getting e3 pay, there were times I used a credit card to pay for gas since I was making **** pay. This was back in 2007.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hey I'm 18 in the national guard and i have dreamed of owning a focus RS for years my papa has a Saleen focus and i have loved that car since I was young i have loved the look of the 16-18 RS since I saw a youtuber driving it as his daily and he had no complaints but you know the internet and all that so I figured I would ask the Focus RS and ST Communities and no it will not be driven a lot of miles in a day about 300 miles. Thoughts and suggestions would be nice. And no modifications will be done other than rims and tires.
just to let y'all know it will not actually be 300 miles a day i was just throwing out an estimate of monthly it was confusing how i put it

41 - 60 of 85 Posts