Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm 18 in the national guard and i have dreamed of owning a focus RS for years my papa has a Saleen focus and i have loved that car since I was young i have loved the look of the 16-18 RS since I saw a youtuber driving it as his daily and he had no complaints but you know the internet and all that so I figured I would ask the Focus RS and ST Communities and no it will not be driven a lot of miles in a day about 300 miles. Thoughts and suggestions would be nice. And no modifications will be done other than rims and tires.

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
If you can afford it and can live with the quirks go for it.

First car and don't know how to drive stick........ its your $$.

Reactions: Crystals

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
Me personally, I start with an under powered car and hone your driving fundamentals.

Same started the kids in our household.

The RS is a great platform. Depending on the driver, they either respect it or get the power go to their head.

Just don't wrap it around a tree or made a drive way to a solid wall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me personally, I start with an under powered car and hone your driving fundamentals.

Same started the kids in our household.

The RS is a great platform. Depending on the driver, they either respect it it get the power go to their head.

Just don't wrap it around a tree or made a drive way to a solid wall.
i was taught to treat it like it is the only thing you will ever love take care not destroy by going crazy but makes sense

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Hey I'm 18 in the national guard and i have dreamed of owning a focus RS for years my papa has a Saleen focus and i have loved that car since I was young i have loved the look of the 16-18 RS since I saw a youtuber driving it as his daily and he had no complaints but you know the internet and all that so I figured I would ask the Focus RS and ST Communities and no it will not be driven a lot of miles in a day about 300 miles. Thoughts and suggestions would be nice. And no modifications will be done other than rims and tires.
Sounds like you’re a prime candidate to own one.
Just know, it isn’t an economy car.
BTW, a close friend won a state award from the N.G. for being the best volunteer Guard Mom ever, or words to that effect. Anyway, thanks for being there!
Move toward your dreams.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you’re a prime candidate to own one.
Just know, it isn’t an economy car.
BTW, a close friend won a state award from the N.G. for being the best volunteer Guard Mom ever, or words to that effect. Anyway, thanks for being there!
Move toward your dreams.
thank you for the inspiration and story it is appreciated

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
For a first car from the Ford Family where the teen wants some pah?

Fiesta ST. Cheap, plentiful, easy too fix, easy to mod. Then go from there.

The Focus RS is expensive, and I'd be hesitant to give it to a newbie driver, same as I would a new Mustang GT.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I’d say go for it. I know a few that daily it. Plus i
Look at it as you are 18 have a steady income. Even if it turns out to be a terrible mistake which it won’t you will love it. So what your 18. You will make many and at that age even if you lost the whole car somehow you have plenty of time to get things on track.
Better do it now and not regret then to not do it.
Man I made some terrible financial mistakes into my mid 20’s but I’m glad I learned young and never let it affect my credit. Glad I did it all when I’m young. It would be so hard to face an uphill now.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I daily my RS. I was averaging in the realm of 12k miles per year.

Now I'm WFH, so my mileage will drop significantly as roughly 9,000 miles of that was just the daily trips into the office and back.

I should only be putting about 4000 miles a year on my car now.

Reactions: bendyboy0402

·
Premium Member
2017 Focus RS (Canada) / 2009 VW Golf GTI / 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander LS AWD
552 Posts
Nope, terrible first car, and a compromised daily driver.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would not recommend the RS as a first car. The temptation will be too great to show it off to a buddy or girlfriend. The least it will get you is some tickets, or God forbid, injured or dead. You could have just as much fun, although at slower speeds, with a 4WD pickup or Jeep on your dirt roads. When I was in my 20's I had a 69 Bronco, one of the best. and most fun vehicles I've owned!

Reactions: bendyboy0402

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not recommend the RS as a first car. The temptation will be too great to show it off to a buddy or girlfriend. The least it will get you is some tickets, or God forbid, injured or dead. You could have just as much fun, although at slower speeds, with a 4WD pickup or Jeep on your dirt roads. When I was in my 20's I had a 69 Bronco, one of the best. and most fun vehicles I've owned!
i understand the concern of showing of to girlfriend or buddies and i thank you all for the insight y'all have because you have owned the car or own the car and you may have said one day in your life i will never treat this like a toy then you have teenagers like me who say it then actually treat it like a toy and go vroom vroom and end up dead.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I’ve seen too many kids locally kill themselves and friends by driving overpowered cars with no experience.

get a Honda Fit or a Yaris. Grow into your big boy pants
If he gets a fit our a Yaris I’d suspect heis more likely to grew into another mans pants.
Forget that. One thing I learned when young is kids will do dumb things with anything. It’s not always the car that does it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I’d juts like to point out to people
That are saying it’s not safe for a first car. Look at how many young people roll keeps and die.
Think about all the kids like myself that had snowmobiles and atv’s that did incredible speeds and yes the whole point was to show off.
Out of all the cars my cousin had he ended up dying by wrecking his dads f-250 with a v10 about the slowest thing you can get.
You can’t bubble wrap the world. Just encourage him to be safe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’d juts like to point out to people
That are saying it’s not safe for a first car. Look at how many young people roll keeps and die.
Think about all the kids like myself that had snowmobiles and atv’s that did incredible speeds and yes the whole point was to show off.
Out of all the cars my cousin had he ended up dying by wrecking his dads f-250 with a v10 about the slowest thing you can get.
You can’t bubble wrap the world. Just encourage him to be safe.
You get and i really agree with what has been said here by you and others saying get this car but be safe in said car i'm one to show off i am an outcast at school and in my family

1 - 20 of 85 Posts