Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I installed the Boomba short throw shifter (after a bit of cursing and a few drops of blood) and I noticed that when going into 1st or 2nd the shift boot can get caught in the reverse lockout mechanism. Everything still goes into gear properly and that's not an issue, but I can definitely see this wearing a hole into the boot eventually. Is anyone aware of a smaller boot, or how I could potentially customize the current one so it doesn't have quite so much extra?

Side note.. I love the new shifter and bushings. shifts are really precise and solid. it takes a bit more force to move it around but you know exactly where it is. just gotta decide on a new shift knob now to go with it.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Even with stock lever my boot was wearing fast. Noticed it when installing the boomba lever.

I used the redline goods boot, 1in shorter version. Mine is black alcantara with blue stiching, it seems more durable than stock material and does not get caught near the reverse lockout mechanism.

Had it in my st too, would recommend! Note that you will most likely destroy your stock boot during removal. Avoid the e-brake boot though unless you really want them to match. Done that one in the ST and it was a pain glueing it in position. Shift boot is easy though!

If you seat are squeaking against the center console you can pick their armrest cover at the same time!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks awesome! thank you. I'll definitely look into it. And I might need to do the E brake anyways. I accidentally scratched it while taking out the centre console.

·
Registered
142 Posts
After swapping out my reverse lockout and shift knob last week I noticed the reverse lockout mechanism wearing a hole in the shift boot. I did as mentioned above though and cut some of the top off to tighten the shift boot and it seems to work OK. Next time I have any of that apart I'll make sure its not still wearing but I would think this should work for you. The one dilemma would be if you cut too much off the hole at the top would start to get much larger.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Even with stock lever my boot was wearing fast. Noticed it when installing the boomba lever.

I used the redline goods boot, 1in shorter version. Mine is black alcantara with blue stiching, it seems more durable than stock material and does not get caught near the reverse lockout mechanism.

Had it in my st too, would recommend! Note that you will most likely destroy your stock boot during removal. Avoid the e-brake boot though unless you really want them to match. Done that one in the ST and it was a pain glueing it in position. Shift boot is easy though!

If you seat are squeaking against the center console you can pick their armrest cover at the same time!
Interior looks so good with the Euro radio and cup holder, I still need the cup holder but then can't wait to install them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a couple holes in my boot from the boomba short shift reverse lockout (~22k miles installed). Last time I opened it up, i sanded down the corners since they were pretty sharp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts