Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a questions regarding Shift plates and Short-shift arms?

I'm slowly building my car up and have been scouring the net to see the best things to upgrade/mod to get the best driving experience, as I DD my RS and would love the best and smoothest experience. Now my question is I've a lot of people mentioning getting some kind of short throw upgrade.
The first thing I came across was the COBB package that had a shift plate, and bushings. Now the further I researched I found the Mountune Short-Shift arm.. now I'm confused on the differences, and what exactly I need to replace, or is it both or one or the other?

and lastly, is this mod even recommended

Thanks?

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Cobb shift plate you install on the OE shift arm, the Mountune you replace the OE shift arm with it.

Cobb has 3 settings on throw reduction and Mountune has 25% reduction.

Some had reported challenges with shift plates since it'll angle the cable a bit. With replacing the shift arm completly you hammer it out or look for a roll pin press you can use.

Recommended? It'll be a preference.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Cobb shift plate you install on the OE shift arm, the Mountune you replace the OE shift arm with it.

Cobb has 3 settings on throw reduction and Mountune has 25% reduction.

Some had reported challenges with shift plates since it'll angle the cable a bit. With replacing the shift arm completly you hammer it our or look for a roll pin press you can use.

Recommended? It'll be a preference.
The roll pin isn’t impossible, but will test your patience. If you go that route, cut a punch shorter so you can tap, tap, tap, cus there ain’t no room To swing a hammer. Or get the right tool (?) ⬆

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I have a better understanding now.
I just have a follow up question regarding the bushings, I'm going to purchase these COBB Shifter and bracket bushings.. I'm just wondering can I replace both, or is it one or the othere here?
and

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
They have different locations.

The shifter cable bushing is at the end of the cable itself that connects to the shifter arm while the bracket bushing is mounted on the transmission on a bracket (as the names states).

You can replace both, either or neither. They are independent upgrades.

The Shifter cable bushing, Mountune also makes their own branding. NOTE: this is a irreversible upgrade as you will tear/cut the OE plastic bushing and re-use the rubber insert.

The shifter bracket bushing From Cobb I like since it gets pressed in placed compared to like Boomba's that you need hold in place when you bolt it on or use glue.

If you are exploring the shifter components, the shifter base in the cabin itself has bushing upgrades as well as short shifters (Ford Performance and Boomba are the most popular options).

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have different locations.

The shifter cable bushing is at the end of the cable itself that connects to the shifter arm while the bracket bushing is mounted on the transmission on a bracket (as the names states).

You can replace both, either or neither. They are independent upgrades.

The Shifter cable bushing, Mountune also makes their own branding. NOTE: this is a irreversible upgrade as you will tear/cut the OE plastic bushing and re-use the rubber insert.

The shifter bracket bushing From Cobb I like since it gets pressed in placed compared to like Boomba's that you need hold in place when you bolt it on or use glue.

If you are exploring the shifter components, the shifter base in the cabin itself has bushing upgrades as well as short shifters (Ford Performance and Boomba are the most popular options).
Thanks so much, your replies make everything make much more sense!

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
That's what the community is for.

Do your research to make your best decision of what you want to achieve.

I highly recommend the following thread for new members:

I wish you luck.

Reactions: Moxboost

·
Registered
56 Posts
I vouch for the complete Cobb shifter bushing mods around the transmission and less so the bushings located in the shifter mechanism inside the cabin - IMHO that mod is pretty useless for the effort. Those bushings around the trans increases your connectedness to the driveline and it’s a very reassuring feeling when WOT. Those OEM rubber pieces will wear out with time and eventually results in that sloppy shift feel you get with used or high km cars.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Short shift arm, all bushings (esp around the transmission) NO shifter plate

And before all the above - the rear motor mount

1 - 9 of 9 Posts