Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue, just wondering if anyone knows what this is/any ideas. Basically, the previous owner installed a Mountune Short Shift arm, I’m trying to take it off and put a Breest shift arm on it (even shorter throws), but I can’t seem to get the pin out. Spent a good hour hammering away. I used WD40 but it hasn’t moved a millimeter. Any ideas? Pics attached for reference. I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jon - a car noob

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Jon,
I didn’t see any of your pics come through. When I installed my short shift arm I used a small harbor freight air hammer on that pin.

See my dedicated build page below:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hey guys, I have a bit of an issue, just wondering if anyone knows what this is/any ideas. Basically, the previous owner installed a Mountune Short Shift arm, I’m trying to take it off and put a Breest shift arm on it (even shorter throws), but I can’t seem to get the pin out. Spent a good hour hammering away. I used WD40 but it hasn’t moved a millimeter. Any ideas? Pics attached for reference. I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jon - a car noob
Eeeew...Looks like the end of that pin is pretty smashed from what I can see on the pics, so I doubt you'd be able to hammer it out from the bottom. You'll have to hammer it out from the other side (coming from the top on your pics), which will be near impossible since there is really no room in that direction.

One option is to take out the shift selector housing all together, pretty easy, just 4 bolts, then you can have all the room to hammer out that pin.

Just remember that you'll have to re-seal that surface with some sealant (Ford p/n TA-16) when reinstalling.

Not really that bad, it's basically what I had to do to fix my trans leak.

Or... just return/sell that Breedt and save yourself the headache. Just be happy with the Mountune, it does the same thing anyway lol

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've always found it hard to believe people hammer these pins in and out,really. Its a shifter assy and what I would class as a precision piece so it doesnt need hammering insitu. "Maybe" out of the car and on the bench properly supported if absolutely necessary. The gold standard is a small "G" clamp shaped tool that used to be sold as part of a short shift arm kit that slipped over the std arm and had a threaded bolt with an end turned down to just under the pin dia so you pressed the pin in and out.
By the look of things unless you dress off the end in the images to remove the peened over edges you'll need it to come out from the opposite direction.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I used one of these. Put a vise grip on the large side and hammered it out with a 2.5lb sludge hammer. You would probably have to hammer from the side that isn't showing.

1/4" Arbor Drill Adapter with 5/16"-24 Thread Female End

1588075395206.png

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A c-clamp with a rod on 1 side to push the pin out, and a long socket on the other side for the pint to go in. Should slide right out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I second the palm hammer from Harbor freight with a drift pin. Mountune even suggests that. If you've been wailing on it with a regular hammer, you may have to reseal that tower anyway. Side note, that Mountune shift arm is really nice, and is one of the few ford performance warrantied parts, why get rid of it for an even slightly short throw?

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
At first I thought it was a screw that the head got sheared off.

Yep, you either take the unit off the tranny and press it out, or use an air hammer with a drift pin as other said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts