Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm located in central Missouri and the other day I realized it was time to sell my dysfunctional 2014 Fusion SE. After time pondering my options I decided I was finally going to go for the RS! I learned to drive on a stick as a child and about 4 years ago when I got stationed in Missouri, I decided to downgrade to a family friendly gas saver. I bought the 2014 Fusion for 15K with 0 down and a 2.3% interest rate (great for a first car loan). It's time to upgrade again and ditch the automatic life and get behind something with some balls again.

My recent adventures took me on a 6 hour drive to view and test a 2016 going for $29,500. Sadly the dealer was absolute garbage and the deal fell through. They said things like:

" Your interest rate is too low just finance through us"

"A key Fob is only about $125"

"We don't negotiate here at our dealership"

"You're really gonna walk out over $300?"

"We don't use KBB here for trade-ins" (Proceeds to value my trade-in off of KBB)

"We didn't compression test the car due to the recall because it would have thrown out a code" (They got the car well after the HG replacement close out date)

Not to mention that I did my homework and ran the VIN only to find the car had had moderate damage to the passenger front side, only to ask again for the car fax in the dealer and all that information was redacted from their version of the car fax.

Besides all the lies the car was amazing and really has gotten me into searching for the right one!

Later that day after the fiasco with the dealer, I contacted Vroom about a 2016 they had listed. I put my retainer down and uploaded all my information and a day later, (today) they told me they don't work with my bank and I would have to finance through them instead with nothing lower than a 6.3% interest rate. (compared to my 2.53% on my pre approval for 31K).

I got my Retainer refunded and when I did, Miraculously, The dealer I dealt with originally contacted me again willing to go down on the original price of $29,500! I was excited so I did some text negotiations and got the price down to 29K and my trade in up enough to break even on it being I still owe $7,500.

Well they wanted my bank to send them a Lien Release before they would take my trade-in but unfortunately, the way my bank works (being a FL bank) they weren't going to release the car until they received payment and the dealer wasn't going to release the RS until they could sell my Fusion. At least I think that was the issue (first time trading in a car and it was extremely confusing). So the dealer said " Hey just finance through us then finance through your bank and use your banks to pay off ours! we can match their interest rate" even though prior according to them 2.53% was unheard of. Not a lot of confidence in them getting that low.

Needless to say, I refused and the 2016 remains for sale :(

As of today, I have plans to drive tomorrow, 1 hour to look at a 2017. The only downside is the Title is reported as a California buy back from Ford. The car fax said the head gasket was replaced as well as a belt tensioner already which is good but I'm not sure the reason for the buyback. I tried to contact ford directly to see why it was bought back but they cannot access the records until the previous owner releases them. I read some good information on Buybacks/Lemons on:

But I won't know until I see it for myself.

I plan to try and get the car inspected by a local 3rd party, prior to purchase (this car is kind of a last resort depending on what I find out tomorrow) but I fear this might be the last one I can possibly get my hands on for a while until one comes up for sale again.

Here is the Buy-Back:

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Good cars come up on the forum fairly often. Being willing to travel, really opens more doors for you.
A buyback car sounds sketchy at first, but with this cars personality, it could have as much to do with the owners personality. Granted if it’s a DD, you don’t want to constantly worry. But, these cars haven’t developed a history of blowing up or suffering other major failures, outside abuse that is, ahem.. A code here, a leak there, can lead to fear, impatience and distrust of car and dealer. The, just ditch it mentality, is common today. (In all types of relationships)
Having said that, if you bide your time the right one will come along.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Good cars come up on the forum fairly often. Being willing to travel, really opens more doors for you.
A buyback car sounds sketchy at first, but with this cars personality, it could have as much to do with the owners personality. Granted if it’s a DD, you don’t want to constantly worry. But, these cars haven’t developed a history of blowing up or suffering other major failures, outside abuse that is, ahem.. A code here, a leak there, can lead to fear, impatience and distrust of car and dealer. The, just ditch it mentality, is common today. (In all types of relationships)
Well said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would recommend looking for a late 17 or 18 car. VIN number that is after the recall. I have an early 16 and love the car. Did not have any issues prior to head gasket recall had a great dealer with a mechanic that was proficient on working on these engines replace the head gasket. No issues since then 37K miles. I do not think everyone is so fortunate.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd hold out and look for a car for sale either on here or on a Focus RS related Facebook group. Then you can get into the history of the car (how it was driven, mods, etc.). The RS is just something, personally, I wouldn't buy used from a dealer - especially one like you visited the other day - unless you have worked with that dealer before and trust them implicitly. If you don't have a trusted dealer, I'd stick to CarMax knowing how they vet their cars coming in.

You'll find what you're looking for, just be patient!

EDIT: There are 3 cars on CarMax right now with fairly low miles. Price is a little higher than what you're discussing, but might be worth checking out. If you're in the service, as it sounds like you are, I'd call USAA if you need financing help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been getting ready to sell mine for the last week or so, the weather has been pretty crap here (NE Ok)the last few days. 2016 NB RS2 w/ 35k, head gasket/head were replaced early last year at a local ford dealership, I think it was at roughly 22k miles. If the one you're looking at falls through shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
172 Posts
I love my buyback.

The issue with mine was the timing chain, and every time the original owner brought it back was something related to that initial issue (i.e. clogged cat from running rich).

A reputable dealer will give you the entire service history of a lemon, and since mine made logical sense I was confident buying it. I also added on a 3 year / 24,000 mile warranty extension for peace of mind for only $750.

$30k seems like the going rate for a quality RS right now. I got my lemon for $5k less so the risk was worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
FWIW OP...If buying from a FOCUSRS member make sure they didn't join just to list...Do your Home work and I'm sure you find the perfect Baby Beast for YOU.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a lemon ‘18 back in September. My dealer was pressed to sell the car so I got what I believe is a decent deal with a bumper to bumper warranty up to 7years/100k. My base price was $34.6k for the car with about 9k miles. With TTL and warranty it was almost $40k. I asked for the entire service history from the dealer (which they provided) to figure out what happened and then ran the Car Fax myself to fill in the gaps on ownership. My car had two owners, the first owner windowed the motor in about 1k miles and lemoned the car. The car got a completely new long block and firewall replacement because the piston blew through the back of the engine and started a small fire in the engine bay. I was told the second owner rode around in it for about 8k miles and then turned it in for an Explorer ST. I think it was a pretty good deal for me. I have had minor trouble with the battery and fuses but all of it was covered under warranty and I have since put about 5k miles on the car.

You should expect a 10-15% minimum discount and they should throw in the best warranty at a discount as well as be completely transparent on the car service records. If they don’t have the records they need to find them and the records should confirm the CarFax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would suggest searching for a late 17 or 18 vehicle. VIN number that is after the review. I have a mid 16 and love the vehicle. Didn't have any issues before head gasket review had an extraordinary seller with a repairman that was capable on taking a shot at these motors supplant the head gasket. No issues from that point forward 37K miles. Isnaptube vidmate word to pdf don't think everybody is so blessed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Congratulations!
Enjoy it and make sure you give it more attention than you would your partner or yourself.
Once you do that you are truly and RS owner.

PS: have people take their shoes off when they go in the car and you get bonus points :)

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Congratulations!
Enjoy it and make sure you give it more attention than you would your partner or yourself.
Once you do that you are truly and RS owner.

PS: have people take their shoes off when they go in the car and you get bonus points :)

Just the shoes? I ask women to take their "clothes" off when they get in my RS!

(That sounded soooo bad, sorry!)

Reactions: FU3LD

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Just the shoes? I ask women to take their "clothes" off when they get in my RS!

(That sounded soooo bad, sorry!)
Pic or it didn't happen :)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS2
29 Posts
What he said. You will love it when you find it. Driving an RS is so much fun.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I second that if I were in the market, I’d buy from a forum member over a dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations! And get used to the leaves in the lower grille. As soon as I pick them out, more seem to accumulate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts