Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to put a deposit down - I just sat in the RS at the NAIAS in Detroit and I have to say the shifter position is really bad - like bad enough to make me not want the car. It is way far out from the driver where you have to make a almost right angle of your elbow. It blows my mind that it is actually easier to shift in the passenger seat then the driver seat- they obviously designed the cabin for a econobox automatic setup and were not able to change it for the RS. Fifth gear is almost a full stretch and shifting hard into second and fourth you will hit your elbow on the arm rest every time. On an econobox I would not mind ( even tho the fiesta manual shifter is better!) but in a "track" car this is just embarrassing, the distance from the shifter to the steering wheel should be minimal because you are always going quickly back and forth between them. So yeah Id like to know if anyone has sat in one and what they think - I asked many people at the auto show who were in and around the car and they agreed with me. I also sat in probably twenty other manual cars at the show and there wasn't a single one that felt so akward ( Golf R, STI, BRZ).

Also the infotainment system is even farther away to the point where It is basically unusable if you are driving - I would opt out of the upgraded NAV package because it takes way too much time/concentration to do simple things (IMHO).

So yeah I suggest anyone preordering the car sit in/drive it before you buy, the ergonomics are quite terrible - this to me seems like a deal breaker on a purpose built sports car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have never sat in an ST I am not sure if it is the same - But the ST to me is not really a serious car.

I tried to move the seat around to the best position but the problem is not the height it is the distance from the driver center position to the shifter.
Even if Ken Block said "This is a **** shifter location" the engineers probably could not change it because of the cost to changing a huge tool chain to build a new center console.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Yeah I have never sat in an ST I am not sure if it is the same - But the ST to me is not really a serious car.

I tried to move the seat around to the best position but the problem is not the height it is the distance from the driver center position to the shifter.
Even if Ken Block said "This is a **** shifter location" the engineers probably could not change it because of the cost to changing a huge tool chain to build a new center console.
Yeah you can adjust the height, but the seats also move forward and back. Why is the ST not a serious car to you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you can adjust the height, but the seats also move forward and back. Why is the ST not a serious car to you?
Never mind what I think about the ST, regardless it is not in the same class as the RS so the argument should not apply . Also don't take my opinion just sit in the car and let me know if you agree.

·
5,628 Posts
Would there be a difference between LHD and RHD considering the shifter is not directly center but more right inclined therefore closer to right hand drivers (UK and Aus) than left hand drivers (US, Europe, Canada)?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Would there be a difference between LHD and RHD considering the shifter is not directly center but more right inclined therefore closer to right hand drivers (UK and Aus) than left hand drivers (US, Europe, Canada)?
No its just reversed

uploadfromtaptalk1452829451371.jpeg

Reactions: Paolo

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Never mind what I think about the ST, regardless it is not in the same class as the RS so the argument should not apply . Also don't take my opinion just sit in the car and let me know if you agree.
When I ever my get mine I'll report back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I tested the ST, didn't have any issues with the shifter so I think all is good for me.
This is a $35-40k car with an RS badge on it - there is a difference between not having any issues and being impressed and feeling confident in the driver position. Trust me I wanted to like this car - It may seem small but driver ergonomics are very important in a performance car and every detail matters, i.e. would you not have any issues if the pedals were too far apart to heel-toe? Or the steering ratio was way off?

I dont have any issues with a ford fiesta or a honda fit, doesnt mean I feel confident driving fast in them.

Also this is for people who are waiting to see reviews or in the market/cross shopping. The people who already have the car ordered probably do not want to hear anything bad about the car.

·
Registered
972 Posts

Reactions: braap and FoRS214

·
Registered
627 Posts
I can see how a difference of 1 or 2 inches may be huge for you but I have never had that problem

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I test drove the ST I noticed this as well, although I figured that I could live with it. As mentioned at the time I wish they had brought the shifter closer to the driver and moved the parking brake over to the right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guess you never drove a 94-04 mustang, eh? The shifter in those was way out to the right so I almost had to lean forward to out it in 5th, especially with a short shifter. You get use to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess you never drove a 94-04 mustang, eh? The shifter in those was way out to the right so I almost had to lean forward to out it in 5th, especially with a short shifter. You get use to it.
Touche sir, Ford has a history of terrible ergonomics. I remember the dog-leg shifter on those cars and almost slamming my hand into the console going into third. I think a lot of these cars were designed for automatics with the manual as sort of a careless afterthought, it is a shame that the RS seems to have fallen into this category.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dude, most hot hatches are like this. It's a bi-product of a transverse mounted engine and transaxle.

MS3's, mini coopers, and even Golf GTI's (to less of an extent) are forward with the upwards angle. The ST is probably the furthest forward, but it's not an incapacitating flaw.

I understand what you mean by wanting to feel confident operating the vehicle under performance conditions, but with all due respect, if that small of a change is something that's going to impact you or your times significantly, maybe use the 40G's for some more lessons instead.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Never even sat in the car, but it's not "serious". That's hilarious.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts