Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order my short-shift mod, and was fairly decided on the Breedt one because of the customization. However, I just ran across this JBR arm and it's the only one to mention counter-weights. I'm wondering from those who have installed either the Breedt, Mountune, or Cobb pieces how the weight of the shifter feels post-mod without adding a weighted knob. Does anyone have experience with the JBR?

Reactions: Immediately

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm getting ready to order my short-shift mod, and was fairly decided on the Breedt one because of the customization. However, I just ran across this JBR arm and it's the only one to mention counter-weights. I'm wondering from those who have installed either the Breedt, Mountune, or Cobb pieces how the weight of the shifter feels post-mod without adding a weighted knob. Does anyone have experience with the JBR?
I have the Mountune one. It was noticeably harder to shift after installing but nothing too extreme. I have a heavier shift knob now and it shifts like butter.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The stock piece has counterweights on it, too. I also put on the Mountune and didn't notice it was harder to shift. If you do the short-throw arm, consider doing the shifter cable base bushing and putting in the solid aluminum shifter cable ends, all at the same to while doing the arm. HUGE overall difference. There's a separate thread with all the details.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Installed the Breedt, max 40% position....feels great, not too stiff....easy install. Do the bushings at the same time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have the Breedt with the stock knob at the min 25% setting. Shifting feels much better, it's not overly difficult to shift, although it's a bit notchier.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Installed the Breedt, max 40% position....feels great, not too stiff....easy install. Do the bushings at the same time.
I have the Breedt at 40% too. Throws are short and solid. Love it. As @lfouie said and I agree if you are going to go to the trouble of taking everything apart to get at the shift arm you might as well do the bracket bushings and the cable bushings at the same time. I did all three and added a weighted knob and it's awesome.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mountune with all cable and bracket bushings upgraded as well. Even with stock shift knob, it is very smooth, about 25% shorter and very solid. Add a heavy shift knob and you will never look back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Breedt arm is lighter, less mass to start swinging around. This is why it feels different from the plates added to the stock arm

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've been browsing around and saw the TWM performance short short shifter. Anyone have experience with them? Seems to be adjustable for weight and throw.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I installed my underhood boomba parts today. The bolt on short shifter took 5 minutes to install. The aluminum bushings took a bit longer due to having to pull the battery and its box.

I used the 30% option. I like the results. Obviously a much shorter throw, which takes a bit more effort, but things still have a rubbery feel.

Next time I get some spare time I'll install the boomba shift lever and associated bushings. But I think I'm going to purchase cable bushings before I go there, so that I only have to pull the interior apart once.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been browsing around and saw the TWM performance short short shifter. Anyone have experience with them? Seems to be adjustable for weight and throw.
This looks like just what I'm looking for! I'm gonna order it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive got JBR, the weights are less than that of the stock shift arm, so the stock will shift/slot into gear easier whereas the JBR has a more mechanical feel to it. Personally i dont mind it, i feel more as though im driving the car but it is personal preference. Mine is 40% as well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This looks like just what I'm looking for! I'm gonna order it and see how it goes.
Let me know how it works out! I was hoping someone had experience with it on a ST, it seems like it should work fine.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the Breedt (I have it installed) because it also allows you to move the centre position of the shifter fwd a bit. It just feels a bit better to me that way.

That being said, I am considering adding a small amount of weight to the ends to "smoothen out" the notchy shift a bit. It's not a show-stopper, but imo it could be better.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
After a few days of playing with the above setup(just underhood bits), I'm really digging it.

Everything is better now, when it comes to shifting. It's easier to accelerate quickly, keep in boost, and even heal/toe downshifts are easier. My little cnc shop peddle spacer helps too, but I installed that on delivery day.

Surprising how a few small changes can really dialed things in.

Reactions: DeltaT

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a few days of playing with the above setup(just underhood bits), I'm really digging it.

Everything is better now, when it comes to shifting. It's easier to accelerate quickly, keep in boost, and even heal/toe downshifts are easier. My little cnc shop peddle spacer helps too, but I installed that on delivery day.

Surprising how a few small changes can really dialed things in.

Can you link me to the components you swapped out under the hood? I'm probably going to hold off on taking the interior apart for now, but I'd like to get the rest sorted out while I'm installing the short shift adapter.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Of course!

I swapped out the underhood cable bracket bushings.
2016 + Focus RS Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings - Boomba Racing, Inc.

And bolted this widget on top of the factory transmission shift arm.
Focus RS Short Shifter Transmission Adapter Plate - Boomba Racing, Inc.

I went with boomba's bolt on bit instead of other manufacturers replacement arms simply because the installation looked simpler and easier to unwind(if ever needed). It accomplishes the same thing: adding more wieght while reducing shift throw.

I'm sure there are prettier solutions, but in my short experience, it works Great!

In hindsight, if I only wanted to pull that area of the car apart once, I would have had shift cable bushings on hand. But it's really not a big deal to pull the air cleaner bits later. Definitely less of a deal than pulling the interior jive.

Reactions: jmelinte

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I installed my underhood boomba parts today. The bolt on short shifter took 5 minutes to install. The aluminum bushings took a bit longer due to having to pull the battery and its box.

I used the 30% option. I like the results. Obviously a much shorter throw, which takes a bit more effort, but things still have a rubbery feel.

Next time I get some spare time I'll install the boomba shift lever and associated bushings. But I think I'm going to purchase cable bushings before I go there, so that I only have to pull the interior apart once.
With an offset ratcheting box wrench, you can avoid the hassle of removing the battery & box. Saves a bunch of time.

Jim

Reactions: NitroBlueFTW

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I thought about that and even have said tools. I guess I'm just being wierd about wrenching on my first special(read iconic) car.

Great info though for the next installer of cable bracket bushings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me know how it works out! I was hoping someone had experience with it on a ST, it seems like it should work fine.
I did the install today. The pin was a pain in the ass, as everyone knows, but liberal use of penetrating lubricant and patience helped. The bushings were kind of a pain in the ass, mainly because I had gotten this far without removing the battery box, and was determined to leave it in place. Removing the engine cover and battery lid gave my arm a bit more room, and a ratcheting wrench did the trick for the back screw. You just have to be careful not to drop it. When installing the bushings, I put a couple of small drops of glue on each bushing piece and clamped them for a few minutes. This way, I didn't have to worry about them falling off as I twisted the bracket back in place. Another helpful tip I got from a YouTube video is that one of the 3 screws is longer, and it belongs in the location closest to the battery. Installing the short shifter was a piece of cake. It comes with a pin that replaces the factory one. It's longer, but I found that it was really easy to push into place, so I think I'll replace it with a screw and locking nut just to be safe. Although the TWM web site states you can switch between 25%, 40%, and 55% reduction, the techs there said that info is old, and that they got rid of the 25% option. The default setting is 55%, and it feels great, but the throw is definitely heavier even with all the weights on. I think I'm going to try the 40% option when I replace the pin. Overall, I'm very happy with it. Shifting definitely feels notchier, and I think backing off a little on the throw reduction will vastly improve the stiff feel. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts