Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Shift plate with heavier or lighter knob??

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Madokami 
#1 ·
Looking to buy the cobb adjustable shift plate. I don't have experience with any custom shift knobs yet, and don't know whether to go lighter or heavier than stock. I know that's a very personal-feel type of thing, but does anyone have experience one way or the other? I imagine heavier + shorter throws just shifts like butter, where a lighter knob may give a notchier feel? Any recommendations before I commit to one of these routes?

Also for knobs I'm specifically looking at the cobb one vs. this boomba heavier one. Might even go with a custom billetworkz if I go they heavier route, but they are much heavier than stock it seems.

#2 ·
I went with the Breedt 4 position shift bracket, a set of shift bracket steel inserts/bushings and the Boomba black (Delrin?) Shift ball....great combination.

The slightly weighted shift knob aids smother shifting. Breedt is easy to install and the shorter throws in the max reduction setting is a nice reduction.

If you want slightly more reduction add a Boomba short shifter along with the Breedt shift bracket.

#3 ·
Weighted shift knob will iron out the notchy feel, introduced by the bracket at max setting, to become more fluid. I run the likewise thicc boi knob with a full complement of Cobb replacement bushings and their bracket and it’s one of the best shifting set ups I’ve experienced.

#4 ·
Highly recommend getting a billetworkz shift knob, but would recommend staying clear of the shift knob adapter and get the new reverse lockout as it's bullshit and it provides a cleaner look. Mine is weighted and my reverse lockout is made from titanium and it's torched. I also changed the cable bushings with JBR's weighted cable bushings and it changes the feel of shifting into gears exponentially. Don't mind the dust build up it's been a little bit since i wiped it down.

#7 ·
Highly recommend getting a billetworkz shift knob, but would recommend staying clear of the shift knob adapter and get the new reverse lockout as it's bullshit and it provides a cleaner look. Mine is weighted and my reverse lockout is made from titanium and it's torched. I also changed the cable bushings with JBR's weighted cable bushings and it changes the feel of shifting into gears exponentially. Don't mind the dust build up it's been a little bit since i wiped it down.
Thanks for the pics! That shift knob is the exact billetworkz one I was eyeing

#6 ·
I have a FP RS knob on mine and I have not installed my JBR (weighted) shift arm yet.

However, IIRC some members did reports some challenges using shift plates (Cobb, Autostyled) as it does changes the angle of the shift cables.

Most users goes with replacing the arm and there are a lot more options out there.

YMMV.

Good luck

Reactions: BanditRS
#8 ·
Not my picture, but this is the shift knob I have. Raceseng Ashiko with a JRB shift arm and solid metal bushings on the shift cable ends, cable bracket, and shifter base. I had occasional issues shifting into second gear until I upgraded the rear motor mount, now it's smooth and precise every time. The OE shift knob didn't have this problem, but was notchy, so you can upgrade everything else before getting a heavy shifter and see if you like it, then toss the shifter in if you don't like the notch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.