Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read that the RS will have a shift light in the cluster. Has anybody seen any detail on this? Curious if it will be programmable and if it will be part of the multi-function screen or a dedicated light? I haven't seen it in action on any of the videos.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The Focus ST has this and is located on the bottom left of the digital display between the tachometer and speedometer. It shows as a little green "up" arrow and it defaults to shift points at 2,000rpm in order to improve your fuel economy. It can't be changed unless you use a reflash tool, at least in the ST.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I think it might be different in the RS, I read it will default to 6k when torque is starting to fall off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That would be really great if it did trigger at the drop off. In a car like this I cant see them doing much to tell you to be green :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Looking at the dash in this video

I don't see any specific lights, so they might use the information screen in the center.

I'm sure Cobb will be able to adjust that, if Ford doesn't allow you to do so already through the infotainment system.

Hi all,

I've read that the RS will have a shift light in the cluster. Has anybody seen any detail on this? Curious if it will be programmable and if it will be part of the multi-function screen or a dedicated light? I haven't seen it in action on any of the videos.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The ST's shift light takes into account more than just RPM. From what I can tell they use a similar logic to an automatic trans to trigger the shift light. Low accelerator pedal input = shorter shifts, greater input = longer shifts. You can see this by accelerating slowly up to 2k rpm, the shift light will turn on, then you press the accelerator pedal more and it will turn off. I imagine the RS will be the same. I think I heard that launch control mode sets the light at a static 6K RPM.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Would be cool if the shift light flashed color on the windshield. If it was like in the lower left corner of the glass that would be a good spot.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
p1.jpg

I was thinking of using an Ecliptech Shift-I, but not sure on placment/wiring/etc..

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
^^^ That would be awesome ^^^

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The shift light in the RS isn't stuck I. Eco mode like it is on the ST. Ford would give a strait answer about track apps

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hell ya i hope it comes with this

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The lack of information on what exactly the shift light is, is kind of concerning. I'm just thinking the RS being marketed as the same class Ford placed the GT350 in their performance line up, that it would make sense. So until we know for sure, I'm 80% leaning towards this type of system.

You think we should know everything by now, but we still don't :(

I agree this would be awesome but it would have shown up in the marketing info by now if it was happening. I think it will be a simple dash light.

Jim

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The lack of information on what exactly the shift light is, is kind of concerning. I'm just thinking the RS being marketed as the same class Ford placed the GT350 in their performance line up, that it would make sense. So until we know for sure, I'm 80% leaning towards this type of system.

You think we should know everything by now, but we still don't :(
It won't happen. The Mustang's shift light is an adaptation of the FCA (Forward Collision Alert/Warning) light already in the regular Mustang. The Focus, as far as I'm aware, has no option for that system. They won't redesign the dash to accommodate something like this. It costs too much money and they already have a light that "works".

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It won't happen. The Mustang's shift light is an adaptation of the FCA (Forward Collision Alert/Warning) light already in the regular Mustang. The Focus, as far as I'm aware, has no option for that system. They won't redesign the dash to accommodate something like this. It costs too much money and they already have a light that "works".
The light that works just goes against their own philosophy of the point of a shift light, as in not taking your eyes off the road. I totally agree about the cost, but the way Ford is marketing this vehicle using something in the I/P cluster is honestly pointless. We will see, but I am hoping for a proper light.

As long as the exhaust is loud enough and the engines mounts are stiff, I suppose it doesn't matter. In a bout a month of driving you get a good rhythm down of when to shift and where your points are.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I bet its a simple thing like where the tachometer backlight switches red

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The light that works just goes against their own philosophy of the point of a shift light, as in not taking your eyes off the road. I totally agree about the cost, but the way Ford is marketing this vehicle using something in the I/P cluster is honestly pointless. We will see, but I am hoping for a proper light.

As long as the exhaust is loud enough and the engines mounts are stiff, I suppose it doesn't matter. In a bout a month of driving you get a good rhythm down of when to shift and where your points are.
I agree with you. That shift light is really just an ECO thing. It's not meant for racing. Regardless, every feature has to have a cost benefit analysis. If they were going to do a shift light I think they would have done something with the triple gauge cluster on the center of the dash. That's a much smaller piece specific to the ST/RS which would be cheaper to redesign.

I bet its a simple thing like where the tachometer backlight switches red
Perhaps slightly less impossible but again, I doubt it. The back light on the IPC is not tricolor and would require new hardware. For the RS they did make changes to the IPC, but it looks like they just made a new face plate.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts