Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Anyone thinking of getting custom shift knob for RS with heavier weight or just stick with OEM. Any thoughts?
This is the best picture I have, but I'm taking the knob from my Fiesta and putting it in the RS. It's from WC Lathe Werks and was $100. Solid steel and feels amazing. The craftsmanship is perfect.

http://lathewerks.com

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the best picture I have, but I'm taking the knob from my Fiesta and putting it in the RS. It's from WC Lathe Werks and was $100. Solid steel and feels amazing. The craftsmanship is perfect.

http://lathewerks.com

Was looking at WC Lathe Werks earlier in the day and will probably go with the Stainless Steel but haven't been able to pull up there website in the past hour.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Was looking at WC Lathe Werks earlier in the day and will probably go with the Stainless Steel but haven't been able to pull up there website in the past hour.
Yeah I haven't been to their website since I bought the knob early last year and it's not working for me either...

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's pricey so was it worth price you paid for it performance wise. Have read it really makes the shifts smoother.
The extra weight does make it feel smoother and the shifts feel more solid. I've been completely satisfied and would buy it again. There's a reason I'm taking it with me to the RS...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The extra weight does make it feel smoother and the shifts feel more solid. I've been completely satisfied and would buy it again. There's a reason I'm taking it with me to the RS...
Any issues with fitment with the reverse lock ring?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't do the metal, so I'll be swapping the COBB knob from my ST:

291350-v_1.465.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'll probably stick with oem. Factory shifter will feel precise enough, spending 50-100 bucks on a knob probably won't be worth it. But then again I'm a cheap bastard.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If the RS needs a shorter throw shifter then I'll poll get a new knob to go with it. Something from TWM most likely. If the throw is fine I'll leave it alone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmm, that white/black Cobb would go nice with the Frozen white RS. I'm also curious about weight. Is it plastic on the outside?
It is much lighter than stock, and a little taller. Its Delrin Polyoxymethylene on the outside. I've used a bunch of knobs on a bunch of different cars, and this is my favorite one. Here are the specs:

Ford Focus ST Fiesta ST Shift Knob
Anodized Aluminum Base, Laser Etched Logo
Satin Black Delrin Knob Stays Comfortable in Hot and Cold
Maintains Factory Reverse Lockout
Factory Knob Height: 1.95", COBB Knob: 2.65"
Factory Knob: 153g, COBB Knob: 113.5g

Many people like the heavy knobs for there ease of movement, but you lose a lot of the feedback the transmission can provide. I've always liked lighter knobs for the quick, precise shifts, as well as the fact you can feel more of that feedback. Also, Delrin vs Metal is as simple as location for me. I don't have time to wait for my knob to "cool down, or heat up", and I'm not about to start wearing driving gloves everyday, all winter.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts