Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm hoping someone can help me find a part number for the stock shift cable bushing. (the green/white part that clicks on to the transmission bracket)

I just picked up my RS used, and the previous owner installed an aftermarket solid bushing, which was fine until it backed out as I was driving down the highway and I lost all gears. I got very lucky that the bottom piece fell into the transmission and stayed there until I pulled over, or i would have been riding in a tow truck right now.
I can shift, but nothing is holding the cable in place. Now i need the little green piece from the stock one to repair it so it 'clicks' in again. See below.

Output device Peripheral Gadget Camera accessory Machine

The piece im looking for is this one:
Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Circle

The only part number i've been able to find is for the whole shift cable assembly, CV6Z7E395P .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked into this in the past. There is no separate part number, you'll have to get the whole shifter cable assembly.
Thanks for your answer.
Damn, thats such a waste, a 70 dollar cable for a 3mm ring of plastic. I wonder if there are any suitable off the shelf washers or bushings I can use as a replacement.
Ill call ford tomorrow and see if they can provide any options.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Maybe you can get lucky and the dude has one of these on the shelf:

Or sounds like you're going to the wrecker and pulling a cable.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
2018 ford focus RS
54 Posts

Replacing the oem part is my next mod. How is that part aside the aftermarket solid bushing

This might be my next mod. How much difference is this one from the aftermarket solid bushing?

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,467 Posts
Thanks for your answer.
Damn, thats such a waste, a 70 dollar cable for a 3mm ring of plastic. I wonder if there are any suitable off the shelf washers or bushings I can use as a replacement.
Ill call ford tomorrow and see if they can provide any options.
I agree it's a waste. It's the same thing if you need the grommet that holds the intake to the valve cover, or the clip that holds the vacuum hose behind the intake.
Font Art Rectangle Urban design Scaled reptile

Don't lose or break either of these, because if you do, you'll need to buy the whole intake assembly if you want to replace them. I also encountered another instance where I broke a coolant hose clip, and the only way to get another was to order the whole hose assembly for that section. It's stupid that you can't just get the clips on their own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This looks like a possible solution, thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
....Someone has got to be able to 3D print those things right? If I can get my hands on a spare I would definitely be down to 3D print them. It would be great to be able to buy solid bushings and buy a separate inner ring, and not have to shred the old bushings apart to get that little piece..

·
Registered
719 Posts
They can either be printed directly or a mold made via 3d print and then reproduced. I can look at the part desired and come up with a strategy to re-create each item desired. Give me a list and I will whip them up in fusion. For me it was the fog light connector waterproofing rubber...need that...buy a whole harness...

·
Registered
12 Posts
do you think a 3d printer part would hold up to harsh conditions like power shifting? I am actually a plastics engineer that spends all day with injection molding. I don't know about having a brittle PLA bushing being my deciding factor from getting where I need to go or being stranded on the side of the road..

I suppose one of us here is going to have to be the guinea pig on this one and just have a spare good bushing in your car and just test them over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a buddy with a 3d printer, going to try to to take some measurements and print something.
Not sure PLA is the best material, Nylon or ABS are probably better options.

While not ideal, you can still drive and shift comfortably without the little green piece, you just cant slam gears or it will pop off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I came across this in my googles.

I just ordered it, should be here in a week, I will update with results.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Let me look in my parts bin, when I replaced my bushings I bought a whole assembly to test first, so I should have 4 spare of those green centers
Hey all,
I'm hoping someone can help me find a part number for the stock shift cable bushing. (the green/white part that clicks on to the transmission bracket)

I just picked up my RS used, and the previous owner installed an aftermarket solid bushing, which was fine until it backed out as I was driving down the highway and I lost all gears. I got very lucky that the bottom piece fell into the transmission and stayed there until I pulled over, or i would have been riding in a tow truck right now.
I can shift, but nothing is holding the cable in place. Now i need the little green piece from the stock one to repair it so it 'clicks' in again. See below.

View attachment 356334

The piece im looking for is this one:
View attachment 356335

The only part number i've been able to find is for the whole shift cable assembly, CV6Z7E395P .
Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Let me look in my parts bin, when I replaced my bushings I bought a whole assembly to test first, so I should have 4 spare of those green centers

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
How much you chargin'? I might need a couple.

·
Registered
191 Posts

FWIW: I would hold off on ordering from alexthemachinist.com. I ordered back at the end of September, inquired on the order status last week and still no update or response.
Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Software

I get "2 - 4weeks (or sooner)", but I'm guessing they may be affected too.
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The "bushingfix.com' kit I linked above did the trick. 25 bucks for a little piece of plastic still feels a bit steep, but it was much cheaper than the 160 ford wanted for the whole new shift cable, and all of the headaches there would be with installing that.

The part is plastic, but feels like nylon so durability shouldnt be an issue.
The stock part is plastic after all. It was a bit of a pain to install, but popping the airbox out helped a ton.

If any of your are out there wondering if you should replace your stock bushings...i would suggest you leave well enough alone. I had the stock bushing on my ST years ago, and having shifted an aftermarket bushing on the RS(before it broke), I can tell you the VERY subtle change in shift feel is not worth losing all of your gears while you're on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
If any of your are out there wondering if you should replace your stock bushings...i would suggest you leave well enough alone. I had the stock bushing on my ST years ago, and having shifted an aftermarket bushing on the RS(before it broke), I can tell you the VERY subtle change in shift feel is not worth losing all of your gears while you're on the road.
so leave the 2 front shifter bushings if you must. i've only had gear loss due to the bell housing pin slipping out after adding a short shifter plate. just tap it back in.
but when u upgrade the rear 7 bushings...the change is night and day.
i have not missed a shift in 2 years...and i DD my car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts