Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cancelled - Selling my RS in Houston, TX - technically will still be a new car

UPDATE: Nobody showed any interest in the car. That, plus my reluctance to be a weasel and send it back and the dealers doing some nice things for me made me keep it. Hopeful these comfort issues won't be too bad and I'll learn to love the car some more.

So I'm keeping my RS. Now I have to figure what color I am going to paint it...actually autoflex it.

Before you read everything here is the deal in simple terms:

I got an RS, didn't like it, and the dealer in Indiana where I got it never got my signed paperwork for the financing. Hence, the dealer can still sell this car with 115 miles on it as new. It looks the same as it did when it came off the truck. Instead of shipping it back to them in Indiana, I'd prefer to sell it to someone in Houston. I don't want anything from you. You actually get my $1000 deposit for free. All you have to do is work it out with the dealer in Indiana and then I'll release the car. If you don't trust that, I can try to have some third party hold the car, maybe a local Ford dealer. If I don't sell the car I am shipping it back to Indiana. That's it and it is that simple. Oh, I'll even fill it up with the gasoline of your choice.

Now on to my original post:

I bought my Stealth Gray RS base RS out of state in Indiana for $2K ADM over MSRP. It got shipped to me in Houston and I don't like it enough. Mostly a comfort thing. Thing is, the dealer shipped it to me before any paperwork was signed, so I am either going to send it back to them or if someone wants it in or near Houston they have an opportunity to get one now as a brand new car effectively directly from the dealer.

There are 115 miles on the odometer. I drove the car following break in procedures, though the car arrived to the dealer with 40 miles with plastic only on the rear wheels, front passenger seats and some of the interior trim . Numerous safety stickers etc were on the windows. The windows sticker was never removed. The car has been stored in a well covered parking garage away from the elements.

Again this will be sold as a new car because no paperwork has been filed. You will be the first owner according to the warranty, DMV, carfax, insurance etc.

I am asking for a little over $1K ADM (I paid 2K ADMN). If I send it back to the dealer I suspect will lose my $1000 deposit(and the $750 shipping I paid). Hence, you can get it for $1K off of my deal by using my deposit. If there is someone else who offers more before a deposit is made of course I'll take it.

The car is in nearly the same state it was when I received it. It was never washed since getting to the dealer. I removed a couple safety stickers and installed the rear license plate bracket using spacers and rubber pads to prevent paint damage.

I really don't want to allow test drives but I might consider giving a ride. Really don't want to put on any more miles nor risk any sort of accident.

Other than the miles the car is the same as I got it originally. There's nothing wrong with it.

Please PM me here first. You can also reply if you like but a PM is best.

Feel free to flame me as well. At least I'm not trying to get all of my money back, and I only put ~70 miles on it. It's also still going to be sold as new.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
346 Posts
I bought my Stealth Gray RS base RS out of state in Indiana for $2K ADM over MSRP. It got shipped to me in Houston and I don't like it enough. Mostly a comfort thing. Thing is, the dealer shipped it to me before any paperwork was signed, so I am either going to send it back to them or if someone wants it in or near Houston they have an opportunity to get one now as a brand new car effectively directly from the dealer.

There are approximately 110 miles on the odometer. I drove the car following break in procedures, though the car arrived to the dealer with 40 miles with plastic only on the rear wheels and front passenger seats. Numerous safety stickers etc were on the windows. The windows sticker was never removed. The car has been stored in a well covered parking garage away from the elements.

I am asking $1K over ADM. If I send it back to the dealer I suspect will lose my $1000 deposit(and the $750 shipping I paid). Hence, you can get it for $1K off of my deal by using my deposit. If there is someone else who offers more before a deposit is made of course I'll take it. You

The car is in nearly the same state it was when I received it. It was never washed since getting to the dealer. I removed a couple safety stickers and installed the rear license plate bracket using spacers and rubber pads to prevent paint damage.

I really don't want to allow test drives but I might consider giving a ride. Really don't want to put on any more miles nor risk any sort of accident.

Other than the miles the car is the same as I got it originally. There's nothing wrong with it.

Please PM me here first. You can also reply if you like but a PM is best.

Feel free to flame me as well. At least I'm not trying to get all of my money back, and I only put ~70 miles on it. It's also still going to be sold as new.

Thanks!
Say whaaaat!?!?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like someone's financing didn't go through...since the paperwork hasn't been done.
No not at all. I got approved long ago no problem. I have no financial issues and could pay cash for the car. I have the paperwork in hand. They screwed it up, resent me corrected paperwork and sent me the car anyway. Paperwork was wrongly sent to my other address so it took me a few days to get it, after which I realized I didn't want the car.

The dealer doesn't even know I'm not keeping it. I'd prefer to tell them I have another buyer when I give them the news.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Then it shouldn't be your responsibility at all. You did burn that dealer hard and dealers rarely do anything nice. From now on guys will have to wait a week till financing is through before they will ship a car. Thanks you D***

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then it shouldn't be your responsibility at all. You did burn that dealer hard and dealers rarely do anything nice. From now on guys will have to wait a week till financing is through before they will ship a car. Thanks you D***
Well they would have to pay to get it shipped back, which is why I am trying to find another buyer. That and there might be somebody who wants one. I wish it was at MSRP but I can't do that. Just throwing this out there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
So you want 3k, then whoever still has to pay the dealer because you technically don't own the car? How do you sell a car you don't own? I don't understand what you're offering here.

I sure am seeing some stuff I've never seen before with this car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you want 3k, then whoever still has to pay the dealer because you technically don't own the car? How do you sell a car you don't own? I don't understand what you're offering here.

My final bill is MSRP + $2K + 6.25% TX tax - $1K deposit.

Since I never signed any paperwork, I presume the dealer can/will sell it to someone else as new. Assuming they are ok selling it to another party, that party will just inherit the above, unless they are out of state. So you get $1K off my final pre-deposit price which effectively equates to just a little more than $1K ADM.

The final amount due is $40411.22 which includes all the above. Of course if someone wants to pay me my $1K back I won't complain lol. If these cars are as hot as dealers think they are it should be sold quickly. I'm skeptical. If nobody buys it the dealer can pick it up.

FYI, I was also disappointed the car did not arrive with under 10 miles and all the plastic on it. That bothered me but I gave the car a shot anyway. It wasn't good enough.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
it seems like your gripes with the car are mostly because its not taylor built to suit you. are you not happy with the power and handling/brakes too?

·
Registered
63 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. If no paperwork has been signed, he doesn't own the car and can't make any kind of deal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking the same thing. If no paperwork has been signed, he doesn't own the car and can't make any kind of deal.
You're misunderstanding. Whoever buys it will pay the dealer, and will be using my deposit to get it. So MSRP + $2K ADM less my $1K deposit. Was that not clear in my original post?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. He had a verbal agreement and took possession of the item in question. The dealer has a good case that he owes the money. And the dealer has lawyers and the case would be heard local to the dealer. If he keeps the car without paying it will be considered grand theft, possibly.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Uh... this post is full red flags. OP, I think you are making a bunch of assumptions about the situation you are in, as well as what the dealerships will do for you...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. He had a verbal agreement and took possession of the item in question. The dealer has a good case that he owes the money. And the dealer has lawyers and the case would be heard local to the dealer. If he keeps the car without paying it will be considered grand theft, possibly.
My understanding was no paperwork has been signed. How can he own it? Around here, things like that are common with shady dealers. They will give the customer the car and a few weeks later tell them the financing didn't go through and will need more money and or higher interest. The dealer must be to the point by now that they want him to sign or bring the car back. With over 100 miles on it, the dealer will probably keep his deposit at the very least.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Kinda sounds like a Ferrari thing. Same as the last (or only other) private party sale. Car gets run the cherry run hard out of it then it's for sale as new never registered.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's funny how everybody thinks this is shady. I guess you don't know me. They originally offered to ship the car before I signed the papers so I could get the car sooner. I declined. After they messed up the paperwork they shipped it anyway to the wrong address so I didn't get that for several days, during which I disliked the car, and the car was not in a state I was expecting. That's it.

I am trying to find someone else in Houston to get the car. I am not asking for any money - the deposit can go into an escrow service if someone insists on offering one. I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow. I seriously doubt they will decline my suggestion to sell the car to another party rather than have the car sent back to Indiana. If they do then we'll see what happens. I'm not going to hold on to the car - it will go back to the dealership if nobody buys it. Can't be grand theft if they have possession.

That's it. I was doing this to not be a total jerk and screw the dealer and also to give someone an opportunity to get a new RS for only a little markup. I would still lose at least $1750.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My understanding was no paperwork has been signed. How can he own it? Around here, things like that are common with shady dealers. They will give the customer the car and a few weeks later tell them the financing didn't go through and will need more money and or higher interest. The dealer must be to the point by now that they want him to sign or bring the car back. With over 100 miles on it, the dealer will probably keep his deposit at the very least.
I can pay cash for this car no problem. I financed it because I can make way more money investing that $40K than the interest paid. I got approved no problem. This is not the issue. I gave more details in another post. I am not asking for anything from anyone, just to try to get the car themselves. If the dealer and them work it out that's great.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I blame Ford marketing.

This car was touted as the second coming of Christ and a half price GTR all in one. So naturally, a series of wealthy gentlemen bought them sight-unseen (out of state because TX dealers are assholes). Unfortunately, once the cars were delivered, said gentlemen realized they had actually purchased a Ford Focus, and the car looks and feels little different from a rental car when not driven in anger. Thus the emergence of used cars being sold over sticker.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts