Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm new to the Ecoboost platform and in the past I have dealt more with V8 engines but I have a question for anyone who has made changes to a OTS tune or created a "from scratch" tune utilizing the Accesstuner software. I am wanting to go to an E30 tune and I have been looking for threads giving some basic information as to what parameters/values need to be adjusted to achieve this on the Ford Focus RS Ecoboost motor. I am pretty sure that you would need to adjust your AFR to be set for whatever ethanol content you would be running whether it be E30 or E40 and fuel scalar and timing advance would need adjusted I am assuming. I am thinking that I could just use one of the Cobb OTS tunes that I currently have and make the adjustments based on datalogs after I have put an E30 mix in the tank. I also know that I will either need an ethanol sensor to know the exact content or I would have to do periodic testing of the E85 at my local fuel station. Let me know if anyone has any info on this or if you could just point me to a previous thread that spells this out. Let me know, Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not many people are self tuning on this forum or they aren't talking about it publically.

That being said I have no idea and wouldnt want to destroy my engine in the process of learning

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Okay I'm new to the Ecoboost platform and in the past I have dealt more with V8 engines but I have a question for anyone who has made changes to a OTS tune or created a "from scratch" tune utilizing the Accesstuner software. I am wanting to go to an E30 tune and I have been looking for threads giving some basic information as to what parameters/values need to be adjusted to achieve this on the Ford Focus RS Ecoboost motor. I am pretty sure that you would need to adjust your AFR to be set for whatever ethanol content you would be running whether it be E30 or E40 and fuel scalar and timing advance would need adjusted I am assuming. I am thinking that I could just use one of the Cobb OTS tunes that I currently have and make the adjustments based on datalogs after I have put an E30 mix in the tank. I also know that I will either need an ethanol sensor to know the exact content or I would have to do periodic testing of the E85 at my local fuel station. Let me know if anyone has any info on this or if you could just point me to a previous thread that spells this out. Let me know, Thanks in advance.
Tuning the ecoboost ECU is quite tough to learn. It has tons and tons of tables that talk to each other in near real time "if this, then scale this table, then turn on this table, etc"

I didn't feel like learning it after semi-self tuning on a disi mazdaspeed3 before accesstuner was restricted to those purchasing and completing Cobb's tuning class. You can read a lot of what Cobb provides for guidelines off their help site. I have used it to simply know more about what my tuner is doing.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/608632980/Focus+RS+Tuning+Guide

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I took the Cobb EFI-U course and it does help to understand what's going on. The RS has so many tables that it seems you could really mess something up with making the wrong adjustments. I'm not confident enough to risk doing it myself yet so I might just have to get the e30 tune from a vendor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts