Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been on the fence about ordering my RS this year, or wait a year. I know all of you will likely say "Buy now!" but hear me out.

I have a 2013 ST that I love. It has 80k on it and looks/runs/drives like a new car. There is no reason at this time to replace it. My preference would be to drive it for another year (or even two).

My concern is this: Will there be a '17 RS or is that the year the Focus is scheduled to go through a major re-design? If this is my only shot to get an RS of this generation, I don't want to miss out.

Also, I'm hoping there may be an additional color choice or two. I'm not overly thrilled with any of the 4 that the US gets. If we got Magnetic Metallic like EU does, I'd probably have ordered already. WTF is with that?? ;-)

My dealer is a small dealer with one allocation, and it's mine if I want it. They won't order it for themselves, as these types of cars just don't sell here. They are also offering it to me on the Z-Plan that I'm eligible for.

Having said all this - it will be my daily driver and I drive 120 miles per day.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Everything is pretty vague at this point. All we know is that the first rounds of orders for 16 RS's have been selected for scheduling. There will most likely be a MY17 as the current Focus is expected to be redesigned for 2018. If I was to venture a guess, I'd say the current RS will only be around for MY16 and MY17 as Ford has limited production of past RS models. Again, this is all speculation. The only way to get answers in this whole process seems to be to wait for information to trickle out of Ford.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense I guess, I really couldn't see them doing all the design work to JUST have not even a full year of the 2016 available. Maybe I'll wait to spring and try to get an order in for a 2017. If I could see Stealth Grey in person, that could make up my mind but without seeing it I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Cars are incrementally changing every year, but I'd say it's safe to assume there won't be any updates for 2017 or probably 2018 for that matter. I don't want to wait, do you?

I wanted magnetic too, but I settled for stealth and I know I'll be happy. Can always wrap it if I want to switch it up.

I drive 90 miles for work each day. I'm not buying this car to keep miles low and ~28 mpg is better than my current car.

At the end of the day, it's your car and no one else's opinion matters. So the real question is - will the joy you get from the RS be worth the money shelled out? Only you can answer that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cars are incrementally changing every year, but I'd say it's safe to assume there won't be any updates for 2017 or probably 2018 for that matter. I don't want to wait, do you?

I wanted magnetic too, but I settled for stealth and I know I'll be happy. Can always wrap it if I want to switch it up.

I drive 90 miles for work each day. I'm not buying this car to keep miles low and ~28 mpg is better than my current car.

At the end of the day, it's your car and no one else's opinion matters. So the real question is - will the joy you get from the RS be worth the money shelled out? Only you can answer that.
I'm really not questioning that, I've already decided I'm getting one. I just didn't want to wait another year to find out this run of 2016s will be the only ones available. If it is fairly certain I'll be able to get one next year, I'd probably wait. Plus then I can see all the colors in person. If I don't like Grey, I'd probably go white. Or Blue. Lol. I really don't want to pay $700 extra for paint that I won't get back out when I sell, plus it'll be a MF'er to match if it ever gets damaged. My tangerine scream hit a dear when it was nearly brand new and I was heartbroken. Luckily the body shop guy spent a LOT of time trying to get a good match. It's nearly imperceptible, but I can still see it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you wanted to, you could squeeze one more year out of your ST. Ford wouldn't hype this car this much when the initial allotment is already practically sold out. I wouldn't wait past MY17. Ford has said there will only be one RS car out at a time and people are already seeing prototypes for others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everything is pretty vague at this point. All we know is that the first rounds of orders for 16 RS's have been selected for scheduling. There will most likely be a MY17 as the current Focus is expected to be redesigned for 2018. If I was to venture a guess, I'd say the current RS will only be around for MY16 and MY17 as Ford has limited production of past RS models. Again, this is all speculation. The only way to get answers in this whole process seems to be to wait for information to trickle out of Ford.
Is it confirmed that the current gen Focus will end with the 2017 model and be replaced with a new one for 2018?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Is it confirmed that the current gen Focus will end with the 2017 model and be replaced with a new one for 2018?
Not confirmed but expected.....the current Focus has been in production since 2012 so even by 2017 it'll be considered long in the tooth for these days. Most of its competitors have been redesigned or will be in 2017 so logically it makes sense.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Such tough decisions. If we weren't building a house in the spring, it would be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ide say wait. I bought the first yea STi redesign in 08 and paid the price. I'm waiting to buy a 2017 or 2018. I may even wait for my father to buy one and then buy it from him so he takes the hit. My dad buys a new car every two to three months and has three at a time. Sometimes he holds onto a car for eight to 10 months, but he doesn't even drive them. He just parks them in his big garage a looks at them. So I can get a great used price on a new no milage RS if I wait a little, but it would be a base model for sure as he is cheap.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ford has said there will only be one RS car out at a time and people are already seeing prototypes for others.
I took that to mean that they would only develop one RS at a time. So the FoRS is done being developed and now they can work on another. Not that they would only sell one RS car at a time.

My dad buys a new car every two to three months and has three at a time. [...] he is cheap.
So he's too cheap to buy options, but will eat depreciation for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not confirmed but expected.....the current Focus has been in production since 2012 so even by 2017 it'll be considered long in the tooth for these days. Most of its competitors have been redesigned or will be in 2017 so logically it makes sense.
Yeah I had been looking at that as well... figured the current gen had been running for quite sometime now that it probably would be replaced soon. Just wasn't sure if we had anything definitive. Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have cars that I want to sell to pay for my RS. If i wait for a next year RS, my cars would depreciate a lot. 80k miles is pretty low now, KBB shows $3300 less for a car with 120,000 miles. Strange that KBB would show 2013 model is about $90 more than a 2014 with the same mileage.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That's cuz KBB is just a guide is not always right on the money. Anything loses big after hitting 100k.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's a global car and Ford is making an effort to be seen as a global sports car manufacturer with the RS. I don't see Ford making that effort without a follow through, it would be pointless otherwise. I expect Ford to add the RS as a limited production vehicle for years to come. I'd wait if I were you, especially because the color seems so important.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a global car and Ford is making an effort to be seen as a global sports car manufacturer with the RS. I don't see Ford making that effort without a follow through, it would be pointless otherwise. I expect Ford to add the RS as a limited production vehicle for years to come. I'd wait if I were you, especially because the color seems so important.
That's how I'm leaning right now. We'll see if I can hold off.

·
Registered
471 Posts

How much does it cost to get a wrap done typically?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How much does it cost to get a wrap done typically?
I've seen as cheap as ~$2500, but my detailer charges $4-6k and that includes a professional prep, edges wrapped, and CQuartz on top. If you want one that is going to look great and last for 5+ years then be prepared to pay good money.

On the other hand, I know a lot of people who have wrapped their car themselves for a couple hundred in material. Usually their wraps only last a year or two at best because they make mistakes or cut corners.

I had originally planned on wrapping mine, but stealth gray has grown on me so now I'm getting XPEL and CQuartz.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Wait a year. I too would have wanted the Magnetic Grey if I could have gotten it, that was my first preference. I have a feeling different colors will be added for the following year and any bugs will most likely have been worked out.

Hi everyone. I've been on the fence about ordering my RS this year, or wait a year. I know all of you will likely say "Buy now!" but hear me out.

I have a 2013 ST that I love. It has 80k on it and looks/runs/drives like a new car. There is no reason at this time to replace it. My preference would be to drive it for another year (or even two).

My concern is this: Will there be a '17 RS or is that the year the Focus is scheduled to go through a major re-design? If this is my only shot to get an RS of this generation, I don't want to miss out.

Also, I'm hoping there may be an additional color choice or two. I'm not overly thrilled with any of the 4 that the US gets. If we got Magnetic Metallic like EU does, I'd probably have ordered already. WTF is with that?? ;-)

My dealer is a small dealer with one allocation, and it's mine if I want it. They won't order it for themselves, as these types of cars just don't sell here. They are also offering it to me on the Z-Plan that I'm eligible for.

Having said all this - it will be my daily driver and I drive 120 miles per day.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Wow, and I felt bad just hitting 20k miles on my 13 ST LOL Glad to see it's still holding strong at 80k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
motogp69
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing