Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am too thinking about such a solution (the quick fit or a harness bar), but also wondering whether such a setup is "safe" in the unfortunate event of a roll. Without a cage a roll can be fatal either way, but a 4 point harness will prevent one's body / spine from bending whereas the standard harness would allow it (which in theory at least) could save the passengers.

For that reason, I am more inclined towards a bolt-in roll cage instead of a harness bar or the quick fit solution. Obviously if you use the rear seats daily, then that's a no go, but the 4 point bolt in cages can be used without removing the seat and can be removed with relative ease.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm not going to tell anyone what to do regarding harnesses and roll bars, but the Schroth set up is designed and tested to be safe in such circumstances.

Plenty of organizations (i.e. those who run HPDEs and racing-like track events) treat all aftermarket 4pt situations the same because of concerns like what nviorres stated. They aren't. Schroth with ASM isn't such a safety risk.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I will say I just did my first track event in the RS and after 3 twenty minute sessions my arms were DEAD after holding myself in place a lot. Def need to look more at a harness now

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Just did a trackday last Thursday and forgot how great the quickfit (or any harness really) is at keeping you in place. It really allows you to feel a lot more of what the car is doing (slipping, yawing, etc.). One new thing I noticed is that it made my heel-toe better. Without it, the force of my body slowing down and sliding forward during hard braking makes for a jerky and awkward heel-toe down shift. With the harness, my body stays in place and I'm able to modulate the brakes. Also, my left leg is not as tired after a 20 min session since I'm not having to brace my body against the dead pedal during hard cornering.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Got mine ordered yesterday. I'm tired of having to hold myself in place and am flat wore out by the 5th or 6th session. Having better control and being able to concentrate 100% on the car instead of holding myself in place can only be a good thing!

Just finished 2 days HODE at The Ridge in NW Washington June 12th & 13th. I can now honestly say that installing the Schroth 4 point harness was the best mod that I made to the car this year. IMO one of the best performance upgrades you can make to your car for autocross or road course racing!!

Reactions: fbaltona

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I've decided to get the schroth ralley 4 harness.
I'll look at harness bar later on.

Thanks for all your advise

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'm in Australia too and want quickfit pro but understand it is unavailable here. Has anyone used one in Australia and do the cams scrutinised pass it? Any advice on what else to do. I have seen some harness bars which wrap high up behind the seats which look ok. I don't like the floor mounted one's at all.

Should I organise overseas purchase and get so done too ship the quickfit here or is that a dead end at the first club day?

·
Registered
2017 FoRS mk3
67 Posts
Why does it says that its not working with HANS?
Is it wise to use a 4point harness without HANS? I am thinking about the body being hold in place, while head moving forward in case of an accident.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Quickfit Pro does work with HANS, Quickfit does not. It is to do with the way in which the belts go into the waist buckle and how that spreads loads and holds the HANS in place. I think I will get Quickfit Pro so I can use HANS. Agree about head moving forward.

As far as roll overs go, the following video presents a good discussion on whether a four point harness is better or worse when in a roll and without a cage. In the end, I tend to agree so will use the harness. They have a recent video on their website which is an hour long too which covers this in more detail. Not looked at it yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quickfit Pro does work with HANS, Quickfit does not. It is to do with the way in which the belts go into the waist buckle and how that spreads loads and holds the HANS in place. I think I will get Quickfit Pro so I can use HANS. Agree about head moving forward.

As far as roll overs go, the following video presents a good discussion on whether a four point harness is better or worse when in a roll and without a cage. In the end, I tend to agree so will use the harness. They have a recent video on their website which is an hour long too which covers this in more detail. Not looked at it yet.

Did you end up finding any to purchase. If you do buy from somewhere else i'd be interested in seeing if theres a postage cost in combing for two sets. After a track day I can barely walk the next day due to having to brace myself so much.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Did you end up finding any to purchase. If you do buy from somewhere else i'd be interested in seeing if theres a postage cost in combing for two sets. After a track day I can barely walk the next day due to having to brace myself so much.
Yes I did. One of the other forum members can buy it for me in America and ship. I'll ask and see if he'll do it for you too and combine shipping. PM me.

Btw, I'm getting the nutron drift stick and dongle. Tomek tells me it is ready for australia. Interested in getting one?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I did a bit of research I thought I might share about the safety of four point harnesses in cars with no roll cage. I was wary about this and there are a lot of people saying don't do it. I wanted to see what research says. Look at the following video for real engineering and research as used for NASCAR etc. Start at 8.45 to get past zoom meeting setup.

This is a must watch to understand what's up. It has convinced me to go quickfit pro and Hans, I have a pre-existing neck problem too. Here is a quickfit pro crash test.

In summary
1. New cars are much stronger. Check above video for dates when roll strength rules changed.
2. A full on up in the air and roof crushing roll is very rare. Most do pillar damage but basically intact.
3. High g in rollover means you can't duck anyway, it is too powerful.
4. 99% of injuries are from head etc going outside car. Recaro wings do not stop this as you are often pulled forward and away from these anyway. Three point harnesses do not help, four point does.
5. Right four point harness allows Hans, and this is really important for neck injuries etc.

Here is a video on harness

I am buying from hmsmotorsport
SAFETY THROUGH TECHNOLOGY » Schroth QuickFit

Anyway, this is the reasoning behind my choice.YMMV

41 - 52 of 52 Posts