Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quick look at the Schroth website still shows a separate "driver" and "passenger" specific harness for quick fit/pro. You can see on their posted pics how the anti sub mechanism is situated.
Understood, but I was still pretty sure Schroth backed off that and acknowledged you can really use either as long as they otherwise mount according to their spec.

Clearly the safest route to avoid hassles is to choose the side-specific product to meet your needs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This would all be clearer if their documents were consistent... they're not.

Snip from the link I have below:
"Please Note: In light of recent testing, Rallye 4 harnesses do not need to be sided. They no longer are specific Left or Right. This harness is not compatible with HANS or any other head and neck restraint devices."

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/rallye-belts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just by reading about using harnesses without a roll bar I have always been scared away from getting a set. I hate bracing myself against the door and center console. It was worse with my WRX as the seats were bad. I've used a CG lock or years but want to be held in better. Check out the Shroth video where the rep (talks about) refutes the belief that a harness will not let your head/neck move out of the way in case of a roll over/crushed roof. I may be sold and will try the Quickfit Pro.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Understood, but I was still pretty sure Schroth backed off that and acknowledged you can really use either as long as they otherwise mount according to their spec.

Clearly the safest route to avoid hassles is to choose the side-specific product to meet your needs.
This would all be clearer if their documents were consistent... they're not.

Snip from the link I have below:
"Please Note: In light of recent testing, Rallye 4 harnesses do not need to be sided. They no longer are specific Left or Right. This harness is not compatible with HANS or any other head and neck restraint devices."
I think the confusion here is that we are talking about two different harnesses: I'm talking about the Quick Fit/Quick Fit Pro while you are talking about the Rallye 4 lol Maybe one is rated to be none side specific while the other is?

Also, the Pro is compatible with a HANS device. Since I have a regular Quick Fit, I'm debating getting one of these hybrid HANS devices for safety.

https://simpsonraceproducts.com/Simpson-racing-hybrid-head-neck-restraints

·
Registered
460 Posts
I too thought it might be different products (Rallye 4 vs Quickfit) but some, maybe all, of the RS docs I found linked or pasted here reference a long name version for the RS as "Rallye 4 Quickfit" or something similar.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think there being two different products is what had me mixed up honestly. That video does sell me a lot more on buying one now... likely anyway.

Does anyone have pics/can explain the difference between harness grips/no grips and the pads/no pads?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Does anyone have pics/can explain the difference between harness grips/no grips and the pads/no pads?
The harness grips are the little pieces of plastic that go into the ends of the harness adjustment straps. Its just something to give you something to grab instead of the just strap material. They make tightening the harness much easier, specially once you are in and have gloves on.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/belt-grips

The pads are your basic shoulder pads to keep the harness from digging into the side of your neck and shoulders. You can also pick a nice contrasting color to make it stand out. I also like them since they are zipped/detachable and you can install them on your regular seat belt for MAXIMUMRACECARHARDPARKINSTAGRAMSCENEPOINTZ!!!

If you are planning on getting the harness, I would get both the grips and the pads as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I tried using a harness without pads once... never again.
The plastic tabs are pretty helpful for making adjustments more easily, but I could live without them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Grips good, pads redundant - the main reason to use this harness is so you can sport a HANS device. Harness goes over the HANS
Fair point. My "never again without" point of view about the need for pads reflects my autocross and HPDE use of harnesses. I never missed the pads when using a HANS while club racing... they would have been pointless.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'll only be using it for Autocross and TNiA and some similar events that dont require HANS, so I'll probably pick up the pads too

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've decided to get the schroth ralley 4 harness.
I'll look at harness bar later on.

Thanks for all your advise

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
They're in. The hardest to fit is in between seat and centre console. This will difficult to get on and off.

Track day on Thursday. Can't wait to see how they go.

·
Registered
696 Posts
They're in. The hardest to fit is in between seat and centre console. This will difficult to get on and off.

Track day on Thursday. Can't wait to see how they go.

Looks good at least! anxious to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Looks good at least! anxious to hear your thoughts
I had my track day yesterday at the Phillip island grand prix circuit. What a day. What a track.
I did the first session without as I wanted to compare with just the seat belt around the same track.
Having the harness made such a difference. Under hard braking and hard cornering didn't require me to support my body and hips with my legs and arms. I wasn't as fatigued as well.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Here's a pick from yesterday

·
Registered
296 Posts
^ Heck-of-a nice looking car!

·
Registered
459 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts