Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a little research, I found this information about the Saarlouis plant and Ford Europe.

Current production models: Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, Focus RS, C-MAX, C-MAX Grand, C-MAX Compact
Production Capacity: Ford press release stated production was increased by 240 to 1,770 vehicles per day in January 2015 (RS production not stated)
Employees: 6200 - 6500, split into 3 teams (~80% German, 10% French, ...)
Site size: 296 acres
Plant size: 3.1 MM ft2

The plant was opened in 1970, built on a former airfield.
There are 8 plants globally that can produce the various Focus models (Germany, Argentina, China, Russia, Taiwan, Thailand, USA, and Vietnam).
Total global production of the Focus is 1.5 MM vehicles annually.
Plant is located adjacent to the Saar River with railway and a boat terminal.

Saarlouis is one of eight Ford assembly plants in Europe. There are also five engine plants and four transmission plants in Europe. Material movements are handled by DHL Supply Chain. Transport of materials and vehicles in Europe is split: 30% water, 30% train, 40% road.

Recently, Saarlouis has been upgraded with a €300 million investment program to produce the new Focus. This included €100 million for new robotized body construction facilities, €75 million for new tooling, and €18 million for new high-quality, low-emissions paint shop technology. Lifetime capital investment of €3 billion at Saarlouis. €16 million spent to integrate the Focus Electric into the Saarlouis plant recently.

YouTube video showing Focus production

Saarlouis was constructed in 1680 by Louis XIV as a fortress city. Saarlouis currently has a population of ~34,000 people (with a declining population). It is located about 6 miles from the border of France and about 90 minutes from Frankfurt International Airport. There are extensive railway systems in the area and it is near the Rhine-Marne Canal.

In a recent election, Thomas Brockman of the German Pirate Party lost to the incumbent Mayor of Saarlouis.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ford's Saarlouis Plant

Nobody is really talking about this yet. The Saarlouis plant can manufacture between 1,920 and 2,010 cars a day. Even if the RS production line only uses 10% of the capacity, that is still 200 RS's per day. In 20 production days, they have the U.S market covered. Delivery will take a minimum of 20 days. This is an oversimplification, but you get the idea. That Plant has huge capacity. Here is a video from 2014. Just image your new RS being loaded up!

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
Threads merged

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
A teaser from the Saarlouis FB page. Caption reads: tic toc tic toc

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm thinking more and more that all RSs are already in production. The whole January ramp up date might just be an example of Ford under promising and over delivering.

·
Registered
892 Posts
A teaser from the Saarlouis FB page. Caption reads: tic toc tic toc
It still surprises me that there is no grille in that center section. We're gonna have to be digging leaves and stuff out of there every year (not to mention possible damage to the FMIC).

·
Registered
190 Posts
I want to know how's the saarlouis QC? Will there be panel alignment issues, hoods, doors and hatches that aren't perfect. People are still reporting this issue with 2016 mustangs.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the info.. Great!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
It still surprises me that there is no grille in that center section. We're gonna have to be digging leaves and stuff out of there every year (not to mention possible damage to the FMIC).
The one I saw at the OC show had a grill in there.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If they end up shipping like that, I think I'll buy a spare bottom grill mesh piece, take the nose off, and "retrofit" my own grill in there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If they end up shipping like that, I think I'll buy a spare bottom grill mesh piece, take the nose off, and "retrofit" my own grill in there.
Yeah. Ideally, I'd like to remove that middle black plastic piece and get a one-piece unit that resembles the Audi RS3 grille, but I don't know how important that piece is to the structural rigidity of the bumper.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm thinking more and more that all RSs are already in production. The whole January ramp up date might just be an example of Ford under promising and over delivering.
From my friend in uk:-

Build dates go live next week & into production 1st December apparently

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
From my friend in uk:-

Build dates go live next week & into production 1st December apparently

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Hoping that's for our "Yankee" cars!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts