Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone considering rust protection? A small investment to keep rust away may be a worthwhile consideration.
I was wondering if anyone would like to share experiences with what worked for them? Electronic module's, undercoating, Ziebart, Crown etc

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The only thing that I know of that will work for sure is - don't drive in the snow or salted roads. But looking at your location, that's probably not going to work for you...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing that I know of that will work for sure is - don't drive in the snow or salted roads. But looking at your location, that's probably not going to work for you...
Haha yes unfortunately, we have salt and more salt.. this is my winter playground.
st-johns-winter-aerial.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
On my WRX I had Sym-tech rust proofing. This was a thick no-drip, no need to re-apply type of rustproofing. After 10 years and 225,000 km I had no rust. I did have to go in every 2 years to do a checkup and mail a proof of checkup to them to maintain warranty -- kind of a pain, but beats re-applying. I have read of others having trouble getting things covered by them (though eventually covered) should you need rust work done, but if my car was rust-free, my guess is those who got rust didn't have it applied correctly.

My brother and dad have the electronic module and I'm skeptical about that. The oldest car with it is 5 years old so there's no way to prove if it works or not yet. Where I live its nothing but salt and brine spray every winter so its a pretty harsh environment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've used Krown on my trucks for years in Buffalo and Detroit and it works great! I wanna do it to my RS as well, but a bit worried about all of the oil grabbing road grime to it. On my trucks I didn't care so much, but I wanna keep my RS looking clean.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I had asked the dealer about theirs and was given a quote of ~$300 for the RS, but I don't know anything about what Ford offers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've used Krown on my trucks for years in Buffalo and Detroit and it works great! I wanna do it to my RS as well, but a bit worried about all of the oil grabbing road grime to it. On my trucks I didn't care so much, but I wanna keep my RS looking clean.
Does it really matter if some grime sticks on a DD? It will always be in areas not really seen anyway... unless its a show car where people will be looking at rarely seen areas.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does it really matter if some grime sticks on a DD? It will always be in areas not really seen anyway... unless its a show car where people will be looking at rarely seen areas.
It will mainly be my DD, but I also plan to take it to some shows.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been asking various luxury/high end car owners that I have a chance to talk to where they get their cars winterized/what they use for rust protection. Some have mentioned the Krown or that Opticoat stuff. I'm prepared to get the best of the best for my RS.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Great topic! Thanks to the OP! I live in a road salt / brine use area and my RS will be white. White cars are notorious in my area for rusting quicker than same model cars in any other color. My body that owns a bodyshop says it's because white paint lacks the protection that other paints have due to it's composition. Don't know about that but anecdotally, I can see white cars with much more rust than others in my area.

I looked at the link: Corrosion Free - Rustproofing Rust Cure Formula 3000 and was very impressed. Found a shop in the area that uses the product that is very reputable. They quoted $170 for a Ford Focus, entire treatment as featured in the video. At that price, why wouldn't you do it. I'll be taking my car in during the first week of ownership!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great topic! Thanks to the OP! I live in a road salt / brine use area and my RS will be white. White cars are notorious in my area for rusting quicker than same model cars in any other color. My body that owns a bodyshop says it's because white paint lacks the protection that other paints have due to it's composition. Don't know about that but anecdotally, I can see white cars with much more rust than others in my area.

I looked at the link: Corrosion Free - Rustproofing Rust Cure Formula 3000 and was very impressed. Found a shop in the area that uses the product that is very reputable. They quoted $170 for a Ford Focus, entire treatment as featured in the video. At that price, why wouldn't you do it. I'll be taking my car in during the first week of ownership!
And they require respray every 18 months. So very competitive against Krown price wise.
I also don't like how Krown makes swiss cheese out your car and how their stuff turns yellowish.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am pretty set on doing XPEL+OptiCoat for the top, but the bottom is definitely something I am very interested in

·
Registered
224 Posts
Aha! The electronic module might be your best bet, but its effectiveness is questionable. Any spray-type will get grime sticking.
Hmmm, I don't trust any sort of electronic module that proves to prevent corrosion. Rust from water and salt isn't electrolysis.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my WRX I had Sym-tech rust proofing. This was a thick no-drip, no need to re-apply type of rustproofing. After 10 years and 225,000 km I had no rust. I did have to go in every 2 years to do a checkup and mail a proof of checkup to them to maintain warranty -- kind of a pain, but beats re-applying. I have read of others having trouble getting things covered by them (though eventually covered) should you need rust work done, but if my car was rust-free, my guess is those who got rust didn't have it applied correctly.

My brother and dad have the electronic module and I'm skeptical about that. The oldest car with it is 5 years old so there's no way to prove if it works or not yet. Where I live its nothing but salt and brine spray every winter so its a pretty harsh environment.
I only see the electronic one on Sym-Tech's site...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see it has been a while since anyone posted but if there's still interest, I've read and heard from guys I work with that this stuff works really well. Again, I have no first hand experience but have thought about trying it myself. I would prefer having a test article before using it on a brand new car. The biggest down falls I see are that its not permanent and requires more work for the owner. Its just rattle can though so the application process is easy.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/heavy-duty-metal-protector/

When I first heard of it, I came across a really good write up where this was used on a Ford Raptor. I have been trying to find it today but no luck. If I do, I'll post the link to that as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
JWA
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing