Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve looked to see if anything was rubbing while replacing the brakes but I can’t for the life of me find where this sound is coming from. I feel like this is some simple piece of metal bent out of shape and just barely touching something. I thought it was the metal guard for inside of the rotor but that’s not it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If all else fails and you can't find an obvious culprit then look at tires. You wouldn't believe the noises tires can make esp when they are towards the end of their life are old or have been damages internally by hitting a gutter or pot hole. If you can swap out one wheel at a time and test drive it you can often find the culprit. Jacking each wheel and rotating the wheel and looking for slight out of round can also be helpful. I know a lot of people here will dismiss this idea but before I have changed out suspect wheel bearings for example I've carried out the above procedure and found it to be a faulty tire.

Ciao

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If all else fails and you can't find an obvious culprit then look at tires. You wouldn't believe the noises tires can make esp when they are towards the end of their life are old or have been damages internally by hitting a gutter or pot hole. If you can swap out one wheel at a time and test drive it you can often find the culprit. Jacking each wheel and rotating the wheel and looking for slight out of round can also be helpful. I know a lot of people here will dismiss this idea but before I have changed out suspect wheel bearings for example I've carried out the above procedure and found it to be a faulty tire.

Ciao
Interesting, I’ll look into that. These tires are new but are just my all season winter tires. Need to swap to my summers so we’ll see.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I've heard this kind of noise a few times on different cars...

1. When I swapped out the old brake pads on my truck, and I didn't bother to turn the rotors. It made this sound.

2. I had a U joint go bad. In the beginning it made a sound like this under very light and slow driving. Parking lot speed. When I would drive next to something with the window down, this would be the sound.

3. I had a weight on a wheel make a squeak similar to this. Also a friend with a cracked wheel that also made a squeak. Sometimes a lose lug nut can flex on the stud and rub on the wheel. All of these were on beater cars, so who knows.. I'm not saying it cant happen in this case.

Also...if you drive your car at a track day like event or very spirited driving, don't engage the parking brake when you park. Leave the car in gear when you turn it off. Heat buildup could cause the parking brakes to stick. Which could cause a rubbing squeaking sound. Maybe while slowly rolling, pull the parking brake a little to see if the sound goes away or not. Don't do a full yank. Just enough to engage it a little. It could be buildup on those pads. My parking brake sticks if I leave my car parked for a few weeks at a time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard this kind of noise a few times on different cars...

1. When I swapped out the old brake pads on my truck, and I didn't bother to turn the rotors. It made this sound.

2. I had a U joint go bad. In the beginning it made a sound like this under very light and slow driving. Parking lot speed. When I would drive next to something with the window down, this would be the sound.

3. I had a weight on a wheel make a squeak similar to this. Also a friend with a cracked wheel that also made a squeak. Sometimes a lose lug nut can flex on the stud and rub on the wheel. All of these were on beater cars, so who knows.. I'm not saying it cant happen in this case.

Also...if you drive your car at a track day like event or very spirited driving, don't engage the parking brake when you park. Leave the car in gear when you turn it off. Heat buildup could cause the parking brakes to stick. Which could cause a rubbing squeaking sound. Maybe while slowly rolling, pull the parking brake a little to see if the sound goes away or not. Don't do a full yank. Just enough to engage it a little. It could be buildup on those pads. My parking brake sticks if I leave my car parked for a few weeks at a time.

Good luck.
I’ll check out the U joint. It’s exactly what you describe. Slow/parking lot speeds you faintly hear it and then it’s loud when it’s bouncing off walls or cars

·
Registered
10 Posts
My thoughts:
Go to a slight downhill and put the car in neutral. If as you gain speed slightly the rubbing increases in frequency, it has to be something connected to the wheels. Tires, brakes, bearings, u joints as the suggestions above.
If the frequency does not increase then I would suggest something in the engine bay - belts, fan, ac compressor, anything that is not directly connected to the wheels.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts:
Go to a slight downhill and put the car in neutral. If as you gain speed slightly the rubbing increases in frequency, it has to be something connected to the wheels. Tires, brakes, bearings, u joints as the suggestions above.
If the frequency does not increase then I would suggest something in the engine bay - belts, fan, ac compressor, anything that is not directly connected to the wheels.
The noise definitely increases when I pick up speed. Just going to drop it off at Ford today or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Covered by warranty?

at first it sounded like a worn out mattress with a couple...... you know. 😁

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Covered by warranty?

at first it sounded like a worn out mattress with a couple...... you know. 😁
Waiting for the service tech to give me a call back since I missed their call earlier. I was curious and asked for a picture since he said the bearing was broken into pieces when they removed it. They know I have lowering springs on the car but they are chill with mods. The service manager loves whenever I bring the car in, she always gave me **** for how quiet it was with the stock exhaust and kept telling me to get an aftermarket one lol. They just said they'll throw whatever the problem is on my extended warranty unless it's cheaper than my $200 deductible before I handed off the keys yesterday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts