Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like I've cross shopped everything imaginable, but the only vehicle thats put up a decent enough fight in my mind is a slightly used S4. How do you guys feel these go head to head?

2014-2013 S4, milage between 3k-25k with prices between 41k-44k

Pros of the S4:
-Better interior
-True Quattro
-Possible LSD
-Probably similar performance to RS
-Better technology
-Audi badge

Cons of the S4:
-more expensive maintenance
-Older vehicle with > 0 miles
-Slightly down on HP, but probably wont affect performance
-Worse MPG
- Not as unique

2014_audi_s4_1-100265984-orig.jpg

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
They are great up to about 80-85% and then just fall apart and default to understeer. I drive my vehicles very hard and I like vehicles that like to be driven hard, only Audi I driven that likes that was the R8, they just place their engines way to far forward due to the AWD. If you never intend to really push the vehicle near its limits they are great and amazing fun, the RS though I have feeling like the ST only gets better the more you push and will beg to be driven at the limit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have thought about them, but unless it was certified, not really interested.

APR has some pretty good go fast mods for them, with bolt-ons they can be in the 11's.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, still a good alternative though! I think I might go S3 route if Ford dealers keep f'ing around.
I thought about a S3, but I think its going to be quite a step down performance wise due to power and the AWD system. And it would be nice to get the S4 with an LSD and quattro

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I thought about a S3, but I think its going to be quite a step down performance wise due to power and the AWD system. And it would be nice to get the S4 with an LSD and quattro
I've read a lot on the S3 and I don't think that's the case. R&T tested the S3 at 0-60 4.4 seconds which actually outperforms the NEW S4. Every article boasts about the S3 being an amazing car with a luxury interior and amazing tranny. I know people say "it's a fake AWD blah blah blah" but hey, so is the RS lol. Journalists don't seem to mind or notice either. Not as playful around corners and such but I think it's sticky as all hell.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read a lot on the S3 and I don't think that's the case. R&T tested the S3 at 0-60 4.4 seconds which actually outperforms the NEW S4. Every article boasts about the S3 being an amazing car with a luxury interior and amazing tranny. I know people say "it's a fake AWD blah blah blah" but hey, so is the RS lol. Journalists don't seem to mind or notice either. Not as playful around corners and such but I think it's sticky as all hell.
Hmmm I may have to reconsider that again. Might have to set up a test drive. Oh and I just stumbled across this and really need someone to tell me I cant DD a 911 in Denver. Because the want is strong.
7634e3344d39496e89c268c60e9f721a.jpg

Cars for Sale: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe in Highlands Ranch, CO 80129: Coupe Details - 410047052 - Autotrader

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get a 996 (99-05) Turbo. AWD and the engine wont explode like the NA Engines (except GT3) of that generation. Because 996's are known for that, they are relatively attainable.... for now.

That's one of my Plan B's.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get a 996 (99-05) Turbo. AWD and the engine wont explode like the NA Engines (except GT3) of that generation. Because 996's are known for that, they are relatively attainable.... for now.

I've thought of going 996. A turbo or IMS fixed 4s would work but they are not 'that' much cheaper than a few 997s I've seen. The 997 body style will just age so much better and looks better to start with. I shouldnt be thinking about this as much as I am. I fell a used 911 will end up costing me way more than I think it will.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've thought of going 996. A turbo or IMS fixed 4s would work but they are not 'that' much cheaper than a few 997s I've seen. The 997 body style will just age so much better and looks better to start with. I shouldnt be thinking about this as much as I am. I fell a used 911 will end up costing me way more than I think it will.
Probably, but it probably won't depreciate either. I agree 997s look much better, but I haven't seen any close in price... But I haven't looked in a while either. It's hard to get over spending the same money for a focus as a well maintained car with a $130k sticker that's only 10 years old.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

A very good tidbit that is kind of unkown and effects the prices of the turbos greatly in the buyers favor. The only problem I have with 911 turbos is they are kind of soulless, great for going straight and really quick but unemotional in a lot of ways. I'm sure the fact that the last one I drove (997 Turbo S) was when I just finished lapping a F430 Scud, but regardless a GT3 is my type of 911 all the way. I will say I was able to achieve a quicker time in fewer laps then the Scud, but once I got dialed in the Turbo didn't come close to how much more enjoyable the Scud was.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cons of the S4:
-Worse MPG
- Not as unique
I wouldn't be so sure about being down on power. It's advertised as 333hp, and I've seen stock S4's dyno around 310-315 to the ground. So, the engine itself probably makes a bit more power than advertised. In addition, since it's supercharged, you get very usable power lower in the rev range than a typical turbo'ed car.

(I've got a 2011 S4, which I'm considering trading in for a Focus RS if I can get my hands on one).

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I feel like I've cross shopped everything imaginable, but the only vehicle thats put up a decent enough fight in my mind is a slightly used S4. How do you guys feel these go head to head?

2014-2013 S4, milage between 3k-25k with prices between 41k-44k

Pros of the S4:
-Better interior
-True Quattro
-Possible LSD
-Probably similar performance to RS
-Better technology
-Audi badge

Cons of the S4:
-Worse MPG
- Not as unique

View attachment 1292

I went with a used 14 S4 from a year lease, 12k Miles fully loaded with sports differential.

Came with Audi care (pays for everything) oil change, maintenance etc etc.\

if you decide on the S4 make sure to get the Audi care, otherwise youll be spending some good amount of money

Paid $40K.

Love the car every single minute.

My car

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
They are great up to about 80-85% and then just fall apart and default to understeer.
Did the one you drive have the sports diff? My car has the sports diff and I would not buy one without it.

I went with a used 14 S4 from a year lease, 12k Miles fully loaded with sports differential.

Came with Audi care (pays for everything) oil change, maintenance etc etc.\

if you decide on the S4 make sure to get the Audi care, otherwise youll be spending some good amount of money
I wish I hadn't bought Audi care. Better off finding a good Euro indy shop - it'll be cheaper and a lot of times they are more thorough.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Did the one you drive have the sports diff? My car has the sports diff and I would not buy one without it.
Yes and they are much better at turn in and getting on power earlier then the earlier S4s I have driven but still liked to push a little too much for my liking. There is no hiding that the engine sticks out in front of the wheels by two feet. But you are correct I wouldn't buy one with out it.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Did the one you drive have the sports diff? My car has the sports diff and I would not buy one without it. QUOTE]

Yes and they are much better at turn in and getting on power earlier then the earlier S4s I have driven but still liked to push a little too much for my liking. There is no hiding that the engine sticks out in front of the wheels by two feet. But you are correct I wouldn't buy one with out it.
Is that like DCC on the Golf R ? But I got another confirming call on the RS, so I am ready to punt my Golf R order.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
14 Participants
carterw
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing