Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the pre-facelift ST3 came with Bixenon HID projectors but were absolute crap, using a 25W ballast and an incredibly cheap projector. Obviously the headlights changed with the facelift, but it seems as though it still uses the same crappy projector. I have confirmed that it now uses an industry-standard 35W ballast this time around. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the headlights coming on the RS. From pictures they look identical to the facelifted ST3 units, but the current Focus doesn't come with the "Adaptive Lighting" so there is obviously a difference.

I'm hoping that we luck out like the F150 guys and can directly swap in an Evo-XR or other decent D2S HID projector to get some decent forward lighting. And keep the adaptive lighting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So the pre-facelift ST3 came with Bixenon HID projectors but were absolute crap, using a 25W ballast and an incredibly cheap projector. Obviously the headlights changed with the facelift, but it seems as though it still uses the same crappy projector.
They are headlights, they work well.

e have confirmed that it now uses an industry-standard 35W ballast this time around. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the headlights coming on the RS. From pictures they look identical to the facelifted ST3 units, but the current Focus doesn't come with the "Adaptive Lighting" so there is obviously a difference.
The facelift ST3 has the adaptive (swiveling) headlights.

I'm hoping that we luck out like the F150 guys and can directly swap in an Evo-XR or other decent D2S HID projector to get some decent forward lighting. And keep the adaptive lighting.
Again... They are headlights, they work well.

source: I own a 2015 ST3 Focus.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The facelift ST3 has the adaptive (swiveling) headlights.
I guess this is the information that I was looking for. So the RS headlights are likely the exact same units that are on the facelifted ST2, as the ST1 still has halogen reflectors.

O2Supply, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your headlight output, would you? I've only seen the pre-facelift output and these new units should be, at the very least, considerably brighter.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meh.. Nothing a couple of items from the Retrofit Source can't help solve if it is an issue.... ;)
Finally, someone's speaking my language! TRS found that the only projector that will fit the factory pre-facelift ST3 housing is a Mini D2S D8S hybrid. I don't know if that means that a regular Mini D2s won't fit or if they made the hybrid so that people could keep the cheap OEM 25W D8S bulbs and ballasts. I'm really hoping at least a regular Mini D2S will fit in the facelifted housings, if not an FX-R or a different OEM projector. Hence my original question.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Finally, someone's speaking my language! TRS found that the only projector that will fit the factory pre-facelift ST3 housing is a Mini D2S D8S hybrid. I don't know if that means that a regular Mini D2s won't fit or if they made the hybrid so that people could keep the cheap OEM 25W D8S bulbs and ballasts. I'm really hoping at least a regular Mini D2S will fit in the facelifted housings, if not an FX-R or a different OEM projector. Hence my original question.
Just email them and ask. You won't hear back until Monday now, but they'll let you know. I've worked with them retrofitting headlights since early 2005... They probably already know if they are going to do something for Focus RS owners even.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read through that thread and through the continuation thread on FocusST.org. It all pertains to the pre-facelift housings except for a guy that chimes in at the very end about how his facelifted ones look kind of similar to the ones pictured, but that was it. I didn't exactly have a great experience the last time I called in to TRS, but I'll do that next year and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've read through that thread and through the continuation thread on FocusST.org. It all pertains to the pre-facelift housings except for a guy that chimes in at the very end about how his facelifted ones look kind of similar to the ones pictured, but that was it. I didn't exactly have a great experience the last time I called in to TRS, but I'll do that next year and see what they have to say.
I'll shoot an email into them then... Maybe a old timer retrofitter will get somewhere...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've got a 2014 ST with Bixenon's and do a lot of country night time driving (unlit roads) and they work as they should. Can't fault them......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts