Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am also cross shopping the two. Except I'm geographically south of you, so the numbers paint a different story. I'm looking at 32k for a fully loaded mx-5, compared to the 42k for the fully loaded RS.
We certainly get a better deal here on the RS - about 20% better when you factor in all the provided extras and the currency conversion - but the MX-5 prices aren't that different when you compare apples to apples, since we get the Club suspension goodies and LSD included with our GT. Also my MX-5 price was including the (as yet unobtainable) Recaros and PRHT, plus the Brembo/BBS package.

Now if the fully loaded MX-5 was $10k less than the RS here, it would make the choice much tougher,

·
Registered
114 Posts
We certainly get a better deal here on the RS - about 20% better when you factor in all the provided extras and the currency conversion - but the MX-5 prices aren't that different when you compare apples to apples, since we get the Club suspension goodies included with our GT. Also my MX-5 price was including the (as yet unobtainable) Recaros and PRHT, plus the Brembo/BBS package.

Now if the fully loaded MX-5 was $10k less than the RS here, it would make the choice much tougher,
Have they finally, officially, announced a PRHT? I hadn't seen any reference to one yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Have they finally, officially, announced a PRHT? I hadn't seen any reference to one yet.
No, but it is definitely coming - there is a button for it on the ND's dash, and fuses for it in the fuse box (see miata.net for details). Over 50% of NC sales were of PRHT versions - Mazda's not giving up that cash cow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Miata is probably #2 on my list as of now, actually. I was hoping Mazda was actually bringing back a rotary sports car, but the thing they introduced in Tokyo is just a concept (and looks like any production car related to it would be too many $$). I <3 triangles, and the FD and RX-8 are personal favorites.
I want the most fun car I can get; the ND may actually be that. I like what I've heard about it, anyway.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
The Miata is probably #2 on my list as of now, actually. I was hoping Mazda was actually bringing back a rotary sports car, but the thing they introduced in Tokyo is just a concept (and looks like any production car related to it would be too many $$). I <3 triangles, and the FD and RX-8 are personal favorites.
I want the most fun car I can get; the ND may actually be that. I like what I've heard about it.
The problem is the Wankel just doesn't get that good of mileage ...tops if I remember correctly about 23 MPG. And it seems to require some special additional engine procedures.

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. Apparently the the GT model comes with PRHT standard; Hey Guys if t
his car meets your needs , by al means go for it! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Direct injection will help with mileage. The problem I have with Wankels is the flooding. You need to run them for at least 2 minutes before shutting them off and sometimes that's not enough. Not too big of a deal unless it is common to move your car for some on to get out. I spent 2 hours deflooding an RX-8 onetime, this was due to being moved around by salesman. The other problem they have would be oil consumption, they say check the stick every fill up and keep a QT in the car.

Problems aside, they are a crazy engine. Butter smooth and love to rev. The TQ curve is amazingly flat all through the band, just a linier pull to 9 grand.

The problem is the Wankel just doesn't get that good of mileage ...tops if I remember correctly about 23 MPG. And it seems to require some special additional engine procedures.

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. Apparently the the GT model comes with PRHT standard; Hey Guys if t
his car meets your needs , by al means go for it! ;)

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Direct injection will help with mileage. The problem I have with Wankels is the flooding. You need to run them for at least 2 minutes before shutting them off and sometimes that's not enough. Not too big of a deal unless it is common to move your car for some on to get out. I spent 2 hours deflooding an RX-8 onetime, this was due to being moved around by salesman. The other problem they have would be oil consumption, they say check the stick every fill up and keep a QT in the car.

Problems aside, they are a crazy engine. Butter smooth and love to rev. The TQ curve is amazingly flat all through the band, just a linier pull to 9 grand.
Yes, the flooding is what I remember. I had a manual shift Wankel engine as a rental car in my younger days and ran like a bat out of H, so that is how I drove it. I think it was a 1978? Mazda RX-3 Wankel. I test drove a RX-8 when they first came out, but never bought one.

YMMV,

ModCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
561 Posts
Flooding only becomes a problem when compression is lacking. My last '87 Turbo II ran like a top, never flooded even after short start ups.

They claim on the RX-Vision will have skyactiv technology, direct injection etc. Something will be produced, but as far as the RX8s went the engines in those were an awful flop. Probably stopping Mazda until they know for sure they have a winner.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts