Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know - apples and oranges, who would cross-shop? Well I for one, as are a few others - but that aside, the comparison is interesting merely from a pricing perspective (at least here in Canada).

In CAD, the top MX-5 (basically a U.S. GT with the Club suspension) is $42,100. Add in the package coming next year with its Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, and forged BBS wheels (approx. $2.5k) and the upcoming retractable hardtop (est. $2.5k) and your total is $47,100 - a few hundred more than a fully loaded RS here, which includes the forged alloys, PS Cups, sunroof, winter wheels and tires (the only way the RS is sold in Canada).

So a 155 hp fun top-down runabout costs about the same as a 350hp AWD monster capable of RWD-biased antics - should make for an interesting test drive comparison.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had looked into it. But I just can't get comfortable in the little roadster. So that was out for me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I could not spend nearly 50 grand on an 150 hp roadster. I'm sure it's a blast to drive but just do not have that type of disposable income haha.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I own a '13 MX5 GT. I love it. Fantastic driving car. Upgraded the sways front and rear plus deck, smart top mod etc. BUT.... selling it to replace with the RS. Why - I need a DD and I hope the RS will fill both categories - year round use and fun to drive. Of course now that winter is coming and oil has tanked (I live in Alberta) I will be struggling to get rid of it before RS arrives. However in Canada we might be looking at May deliveries so might all work it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I could not spend nearly 50 grand on an 150 hp roadster.
I share that feeling - it will have to max out the grins per mile scale for me to pop that kind of change for such a small low-powered car.

The earlier iteration (the NC) didn't do it - I test drove both the soft and hard top and found them noisy and a bit overwhelmed on the busy freeways around here. They were not enough of a step up from my first-gen Tiburon to be worth the cost - no faster, better handling, true, but not as relaxed on the highway and a lot less practical. And a bit claustrophobic with the tops up although you'd probably get used to that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I own a '13 MX5 GT. I love it. Fantastic driving car. Upgraded the sways front and rear plus deck, smart top mod etc. BUT.... selling it to replace with the RS. Why - I need a DD and I hope the RS will fill both categories - year round use and fun to drive. Of course now that winter is coming and oil has tanked (I live in Alberta) I will be struggling to get rid of it before RS arrives. However in Canada we might be looking at May deliveries so might all work it.

Where did you hear aboot may deliveries out of curiousity?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I share that feeling - it will have to max out the grins per mile scale for me to pop that kind of change for such a small low-powered car.

The earlier iteration (the NC) didn't do it - I test drove both the soft and hard top and found them noisy and a bit overwhelmed .n the busy freeways around here. They were not enough of a step up from my first-gen Tiburon to be worth the cost - no faster, yes - better handling, but not as relaxed on the highway and a lot less practical. And a bit claustrophobic with the tops up although you'd probably get used to that.
It's a 2 seater sports car it is what it is. It has it positives and negatives, and comparing it to an AWD performance hatchback
just isn't a good comparison; they have completely different features and purposes - Well, they are both fun to drive.

But for most people, it is just a 2 seat convertible ( hard or soft top), and it is a TOY! For very, very few people will this be their only car!

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For me it would be my only car so the more practical considerations have a little more weight. As does the value per dollar.

It can be doable as an only vehicle for some (see miata.net). But that is easier in southern climate zones.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
For me it would be my only car so the more practical considerations have a little more weight. As does the value per dollar.

It can be doable as an only vehicle for some (see miata.net). But that is easier in southern climate zones.
Have you had a convertible before ? They are noisy (even hard tops), are tight, and can't carry much, and don't do so good in wrecks! On the plus side: they are nimble, handle like a dream and usually get great mileage for their performance (S2000 mileage sucks lucky to get 20 mpg on highway).

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
It would have to take a lot more than 150hp to get me into the MX-5 for what it'll be selling for.

I really don't mind since it justifies my FoRS purchase with nearly 2.3 times the power.....get it?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Where did you hear aboot may deliveries out of curiousity?
From my dealership. I think the quote was between April and June for allocation delivery. They have been allocated 1 and it is mine. This of course is just their guess based on past experience for deliveries. Even my '11 F150 was 3 months delayed (first run of ecoboost). So no it's not a hard delivery time, just their guess from what the experience has been and maybe some input from the regional manager.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am also cross shopping the two. Except I'm geographically south of you, so the numbers paint a different story. I'm looking at 32k for a fully loaded mx-5, compared to the 42k for the fully loaded RS. I see people keep mentioning hp numbers, while not talking about how they play into the weight of the car. Let's take a minute to accept that the mx-5 ND at 155hp is faster to 60 then an ST, which many people here are already owners of.

For me, I'm buying just for me, what ever I get will rarely have more then me in it, my wife has her car ('14 Fusion Hybrid Titanium), we have a Honda Odyssey for when the whole family is traveling. I'm just looking for something to drive to and from work which is 75 miles every day. The Miata has the fun for the price, it really wasn't all that loud with the top up or down, my wife and I were both impressed with the noise levels during our test drive to be honest. The stick in the mx-5 was fantastic, it it absolutely can break the tires loose in 2nd gear (her eyes lit up when they spun loose on the shift!), it's 'lack' of sheet hp is not at all apparent when actually driving it, and it's handling was perfection.

BUT

Even with my wife 100% on board after riding in the mx-5, I find myself reluctant to pull the trigger, all because of the RS. Stupid RS. The plan was to buy in the Spring, so I foresee a LONG winter on constant debating a flip-flopping!

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, it also appeals to me that with the light weight of the mx-5, every single hp I add to it, would be comparable to adding 1.5hp to something like the RS, the power to weight ratio will climb so much faster. Power is easy to add, weight isn't always so easy to shave.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It would have to take a lot more than 150hp to get me into the MX-5 for what it'll be selling for.

I really don't mind since it justifies my FoRS purchase with nearly 2.3 times the power.....get it?
You can buy and LS swapped Miata for about 40K already done. It would take around 550hp out of an RS to match that power to weight ratio.

I love the Miata but the lack of power is something I couldn't live with, I like to be scared at times and purposely over do it so I can bring it back to dance on the limit. A Miata just doesn't have what it takes, now if they ever make a 250hp rotary version and stick it in the ND, it would way even less and that would be a car I would consider.

If we are talking lightweights too, it is too early to tell but the 4C will be something to keep an eye on in terms of resale.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I am also cross shopping the two. Except I'm geographically south of you, so the numbers paint a different story. I'm looking at 32k for a fully loaded mx-5, compared to the 42k for the fully loaded RS. I see people keep mentioning hp numbers, while not talking about how they play into the weight of the car. Let's take a minute to accept that the mx-5 ND at 155hp is faster to 60 then an ST, which many people here are already owners of.

For me, I'm buying just for me, what ever I get will rarely have more then me in it, my wife has her car ('14 Fusion Hybrid Titanium), we have a Honda Odyssey for when the whole family is traveling. I'm just looking for something to drive to and from work which is 75 miles every day. The Miata has the fun for the price, it really wasn't all that loud with the top up or down, my wife and I were both impressed with the noise levels during our test drive to be honest. The stick in the mx-5 was fantastic, it it absolutely can break the tires loose in 2nd gear (her eyes lit up when they spun loose on the shift!), it's 'lack' of sheet hp is not at all apparent when actually driving it, and it's handling was perfection.

BUT

Even with my wife 100% on board after riding in the mx-5, I find myself reluctant to pull the trigger, all because of the RS. Stupid RS. The plan was to buy in the Spring, so I foresee a LONG winter on constant debating a flip-flopping!

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, it also appeals to me that with the light weight of the mx-5, every single hp I add to it, would be comparable to adding 1.5hp to something like the RS, the power to weight ratio will climb so much faster. Power is easy to add, weight isn't always so easy to shave.
Sorry, I can't accept that the MX-5 ND is faster 0-60 than ST because it isn't true. ST has to shift to 3rd fro 0-60 which is why the time drops to 6.5 , seconds, but even so the MX is 7.2 seconds. If Mazda adds the rumored turbo then maybe.

Breaking tires loose isn't always an indication of power, sometimes it is just because the car is light weight or has poor traction.

Yes, convertibles start pretty quiet at first, but they don't age well noise-wise.

The MX-5 ND is a very light weight car to drive 75 miles every day on the highway. Lightweight vehicles don't do very well when encountering heavier vehicles in a wreck; JUST BE VERY CAREFUL. Doesn't this concern you wife ?

Again, the Ford Focus RS and the Mazda MX-5 ND are two completely different cars and hard to objectively compare. Good luck with your decision.

YMMV,

MidCow3

P.S. - Did you look at the Ford Focus ST ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry, I can't accept that the MX-5 ND is faster 0-60 than ST because it isn't true. ST has to shift to 3rd fro 0-60 which is why the time drops to 6.5 , seconds, but even so the MX is 7.2 seconds.
I'll just politely disagree, I don't get 0-60 times for any other car from the manufacturer, I'm not starting that trend now. C&D tested the car to a 5.8 0-60.

Edit: Sorry, 5.9. Even the 1/4 mile is quicker.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I'll just politely disagree, I don't get 0-60 times for any other car from the manufacturer, I'm not starting that trend now. C&D tested the car to a 5.8 0-60.

Edit: Sorry, 5.9. Even the 1/4 mile is quicker.
Hey Chief,

You do realize that C&D drives the hell out of cars to get low times, that are not necessarily realistic or real world achievable.

So let's compare Apples-to-Apples. Let C&D flog the MX5 and the ST

The MX5 C&D time 0-60 is 5.9 seconds
The ST C&D 0-60 time is 5.7 seconds. 5.7 seconds is 0.2 seconds less than 5.9 , so the ST wins.

Source:
2015 Volkswagen GTI vs. 2013 Ford Focus ST: Final Scoring, Performance Data, and Complete Specs

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
720 Posts

BUT

I've got a 2013 fully loaded GT for sale, only 6600 km on it. Some mods already on it. $22000 US and delivery would be about $1000-1500 we could split. I think the Flyin Miata supercharger is under $9000 US installed. I can't remember it's been a while.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Chief,

You do realize that C&D drives the hell out of cars to get low times, that are not necessarily realistic or real world achievable.

So let's compare Apples-to-Apples. Let C&D flog the MX5 and the ST

The MX5 C&D time 0-60 is 5.9 seconds
The ST C&D 0-60 time is 5.7 seconds. 5.7 seconds is 0.2 seconds less than 5.9 , so the ST wins.

Source:
2015 Volkswagen GTI vs. 2013 Ford Focus ST: Final Scoring, Performance Data, and Complete Specs

YMMV,

MidCow3
Chief? Why are you bringing high school level passive aggression to an online conversation, I've done nothing but speak respectably to you.

Anyhow, if their time for the ST is 5.7, why does their actual ST review page list it as 6.3?

Source: Ford Focus ST Reviews - Ford Focus ST Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

Also, know that I love the ST. I've test drove it on 3 separate occasions, and almost pulled the trigger countless times. Of course I wont flog the car to get that time, but all things being equal, if I drive it, say, 1 second slower, it's going to be 1 second slower across the board, so their numbers do hold meaning.

So then sticking with 5.7 with the ST, the two cars are 2/10's of a second apart, the only point I was really trying to make was that it seemed silly for people to be discounting the car simply for the 155hp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts