Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what everyone thinks. The base price of the m235i is around 44k, I'm sure you could pick one up CPO or used for around 40k. Around 320hp, turbo 6, rear-wheel drive. I know, not really competition for the RS, but its another car that I have looked pretty hard at. Definitely more expensive, and a bit less power (on paper at least), but for me, someone looking for a daily driver that does everything (also no kids here =D ), the m235i makes up for that in build quality, and definitely a much higher quality interior.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've also looked at this, but the X drive variation. In the end I thought it was too small of a vehicle for me with essentially no back seat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been trying to find more information comparing the RS and the M235i and also the M2?.... a lot more money though. I was on a 2 series forum to try and see what those guys thought of the upcoming M2 versus the RS. I think the general consensus was that the RS will be an amazing car, but most likely not competition for the M2. More between M235i and M2 if not closer to the M235 side.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It really depends what you want from the vehicle, but remember where Ford has positioned the RS in the line up as being the same class as a GT350R. I think if performance is your main focus or will spend more time driving hard then cruising down the road I wouldn't consider an M235i as an option only an M2. It is how I feel about my ST amazing car but so much to do to it to get to the performance level I look for, I think it is too soft, from springs and shocks to all the bushings, and the list goes on all the way to putting in another 8K to make it into what I want. The best way to find out is to test drive one and see what you think. Honestly we don't even know how well the RS is going to perform, we can assume absolutely incredibly amazing, but we won't know 100% until we get our buts in the seat.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
How much different is the m135i vs the m235i?

·
Registered
48 Posts
m240 coming next year.. apples to oranges.. BMW is more luxury, rwd.... RS is a road beast with usability (4 doors, hatch, etc)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I mean if you are going to consider a new M235i which is two door and rwd why not consider a used E92 M3 with a awesome high revving V8?

I can find them used for around 40k +/- 10k

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've also looked at this, but the X drive variation. In the end I thought it was too small of a vehicle for me with essentially no back seat.
Yeah, way too small inside for the overall size of car. A friend has one and it's ok if don't try taking rear passengers!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
I mean if you are going to consider a new M235i which is two door and rwd why not consider a used E92 M3 with a awesome high revving V8?
A little something called BMW's terrible reliability. Bimmer veterans recommend either leasing or selling before your warranty runs out lol....

·
Registered
878 Posts
My metric for comparing these cars to the RS:

xDrive 228i : 3470 lbs. / 255 ft.-lbs. @ 1450 rpm = 13.6 (smaller = more acceleration per lb.)

xDrive M235i : 3535 lbs. / 330 ft.-lbs. @ 1300 rpm = 10.7

RS : 3460 lbs. / 350 ft.-lbs. @ 3200 rpm = 9.9

So among these three, the RS is the winner for me, once I save up a workable down payment.

Straight-line top-speed is useless to me, but low-end torque I can get a lot of entertainment value out of.

So my question is, which cars can deliver a Curb Weight / Torque ratio < 10.0,
that are cheaper than the RS?

Let me know, and those are the cars that I want to buy :).

·
Registered
558 Posts
That RS torque figure of 350 is only available for only 12 seconds or so of overboost - the rest of the time you get 325 torques IIRC. Of course in 12 seconds you are hitting 100 mph or so from a standing start, so this limitation will only affect track performance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That RS torque figure of 350 is only available for only 12 seconds or so of overboost - the rest of the time you get 325 torques IIRC. Of course in 12 seconds you are hitting 100 mph or so from a standing start, so this limitation will only affect track performance.
Overboost also resets when you shift gears so theoretically you may never reach the 350lbft cut-off point.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
A little something called BMW's terrible reliability. Bimmer veterans recommend either leasing or selling before your warranty runs out lol....
That and the terrible fuel eco in the E9X.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
I've been trying to find more information comparing the RS and the M235i and also the M2?.... a lot more money though. I was on a 2 series forum to try and see what those guys thought of the upcoming M2 versus the RS. I think the general consensus was that the RS will be an amazing car, but most likely not competition for the M2. More between M235i and M2 if not closer to the M235 side.
@SamuShamploo

Not a comparison between the FoRS and M2 but the differences between the M2 and M235:

Most here are excited with the flat bottomed FoRS steering wheel, but what about the M2 steering wheel.............that thing is insane.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have a bmw 135i. They make power easily. Have 7spd dct is a great transmission in sports mode. Now with the m235i having the same engine, power is easily attainable but what bmw does best is the chasis. the car is balanced and the suspension soaks up bumps while maintaining composure through the turns.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
According to the owners manual overboost is a 20 second maximum. If anyone here is driving normally for 20 seconds of flat out acceleration on the streets consistently I'd be a bit worried for my safety.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Have a bmw 135i. They make power easily. Have 7spd dct is a great transmission in sports mode. Now with the m235i having the same engine, power is easily attainable but what bmw does best is the chasis. the car is balanced and the suspension soaks up bumps while maintaining composure through the turns.
No factory option on lsd for a rwd twin turbo or newer single turbo 335i and 135i is the biggest turn off when dropping over 40k on a car. No thanks on the factory one tire fire.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
About this Discussion
80 Replies
45 Participants
XutvJet
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing