Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the specs and some real sheet metal finally hit the streets for the M2 today and the 10k-ish markup over the RS has me thinking... Couple that with the lack of info / horrible communication from the Ford dealers who I've inquired with so far, and I think this could be a real contender for my next car. What say you?

P90199658_highRes.jpg

Launch / U.S. Pricing
Available Spring 2016
US pricing to come
Available in Long Beach Blue, Alpine White, Black Sapphire and Mineral Grey

P90199674_highRes.jpg

Engine / Performance
3.0L TwinPower Turbo inline 6 cylinder (N55 engine - N55B30T0)
365 hp @ 6500 RPM
343 lb-ft @ 1400-5560 RPM
Overboost function boosts torque by +26 lb-ft to 369 lb-ft between 1450 - 4750 RPM
7000 RPM rev limiter
0-60 mph: 4.2 sec (w/ DCT and Launch Control)
0-60 mph: 4.4 sec (6 speed manual)
Nurburgring lap time of 7:58
Top speed: 155 mph electronically limited
Closed-deck engine (water jacket surrounding the cylinders is sealed at the top, allowing for high cylinder pressures)
High Precision Injection system
Double VANOS
VALVETRONIC
Pistons from M3/M4 S55 engine, with top ring optimized for the use of grey-cast iron liners
Crankshaft main bearing shells from M3/M4 S55 engine
Turbocharger integrated into the exhaust manifold
Aerodynamically tuned air intake manifold
High performance spark plugs
Extra water radiator
Additional oil cooler for transmission oil (DCT only)
Modified oil sump
Additional oil sump cover limits movement of oil under acceleration
Extra oil suction pump send oil back to rear pop oil sump when braking heavily
Special suction system for oil supply to turbocharger under high acceleration

P90199669_highRes.jpg

Transmission:
6 speed manual transmission (standard)
New carbon fiber friction lining enhances shift precision
Dry-sump lubrication prevents sloshing of transmission oil and ensures proper lubrication
Automatic rev-matching (can be disabled in DSC OFF mode)
7 speed M DCT (option)
Launch Control
Active M Differential with 0-100% lock. Full locking power of 1843 lb-ft available within 150ms

P90199700_highRes.jpg

Suspension / Chassis:
Lightweight aluminum front and rear axles of the BMW M3 and M4
Aluminum suspension struts and tubular anti-roll bar
Play-free ball joints ensure precise wheel location
Stiffening plate in underbody provides additional bolted connection between the axle subframe and the body sills
Forces passing through suspension are transmitted directly via special elastomer bearings
Control arms and wheel carriers made from forged aluminum
Rear axle subframe bolted directly to body

P90199663_highRes.jpg

Wheels / Tires / Brakes:
Wheels: 19x9" front / 19x10" rear
Tires: exclusive 19 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires - 245/35 ZR front and 265/35 ZR rear
Four-piston fixed calipers front / two-piston fixed calipers rear
15" rotors front / 14.5" rotors rear - perforated and inner-vented brake disc ring made from grey-cast iron
Brake disc hub constructed from aluminum

Other Highlights:
Nurburgring laptime of 7:58
M developed electric power steering
Brake Energy Regeneration
Auto Start Stop function

Styling Highlights / Interior:
Large front apron w/ trapezoidal blades and Air Curtains in outer air intakes mimic the BMW 3.0 CSL touring car racer
Trapezoidal blades divert part of the airflow through the wheel arches, while the Air Curtains guide the air effectively past the wheels
Side gills reference a feature first seen on the BMW 3.0 CSL
Widened wheel flares / fenders - 2.1 inch front and 3.1 inch rear
M rear spoiler
Vertical reflectors on rear apron form a stylistic connection w/ the trapezoidal blades at the front end
Drag reduced by 5% compared w/ 2 Series Coupe
Lift reduced by 35%

Interior:
Sports seats in black Dakota leather with blue contrast stitching and an M logo in the backrests
Adjust side seat bolsters
M footrest and knee pad on the center console for the driver
Instruments with M2-specific dials and needles
M logos on the tachometer, gearshift lever, door sill plates
M leather steering wheel with M color stitching and shift paddles
BMW M2 trim strip with surfacing in open pore carbon fiber
Alcantara door panel inserts, parking brake boot and shift lever boot (manual transmission only)

For everyone's sake, please do not quote this post!!! :eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe Jalopnik stated it was $51k and some change. That's not too bad. I like the size and specs. It's not breakneck fast but fast enough. I would definitely choose this over the RS if the price was similar, but that's not the case.

I love Ford the company but hate Ford dealerships. Most high-end dealerships (except Cadillac) have better everything - customer service, facilities, more knowledgeable salesmen, etc, but ultimately all dealerships are a racket. Tesla is the only company doing it right.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Car and Driver says, "... starting under $60,000." In other words $22,000 over the RS. Nice car but not in the same price range.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I priced out a '15 M235i Xdrive. With both packages I wanted it was over $70,000 CDN, that was Performance pkg 1 and 2 I think. Way over the $46900 for the RS. But awesome car.
The M235i and the M2 are not the same car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I always loved M cars. They still remain the king in their segment year after year in terms of driver focus and enjoyment. Sadly I'm too much a performance junky and for the money a C7 fits my needs better.

Any word on weight yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Won't even be close in terms of dollars, base price is a useless number for a german car. For example, my 15 M235i was 53k with options, base is around 43k I think. That means a decently optioned M2 will be in the mid 60s, plus likely dealer mark ups. The 1M was going 10k over MSRP at most dealers when it came out, this will be similar. In the end it will still be a solid 25k difference. Only you can decide if the extra is worth it, but they won't be similarly priced, not even close

·
Registered
44 Posts
Won't even be close in terms of dollars, base price is a useless number for a german car. For example, my 15 M235i was 53k with options, base is around 43k I think. That means a decently optioned M2 will be in the mid 60s, plus likely dealer mark ups. The 1M was going 10k over MSRP at most dealers when it came out, this will be similar. In the end it will still be a solid 25k difference. Only you can decide if the extra is worth it, but they won't be similarly priced, not even close
This was my exact thought. Looks like a great package, but I doubt pricing will be within $20K when it's all said and done.

Would be a great track car I'm sure, but I'm done with 3 season cars.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always loved M cars. They still remain the king in their segment year after year in terms of driver focus and enjoyment. Sadly I'm too much a performance junky and for the money a C7 fits my needs better.

Any word on weight yet?
DIN Weight: All fluids + 90% fuel in the car, no driver. EU weight: All fluids + 90% fuel in the car, 75kg driver.

M2 unladen weight DIN/EU: 1495 kgs/1570 kgs (3296 pounds/ 3461 pounds)

M4 unladen weight DIN/EU: 1497 kgs/1572 kgs (3300 pounds/ 3466 pounds)

M3 Unladen weight DIN/EU: 1520 kgs /1595 kgs (3351 pounds/ 3516 pounds)

M2 is 2 kgs lighter than the M4, or 4.45 pounds; and 25 kg lighter than the M3, or 55 pounds

·
Registered
367 Posts
What makes you think dealers will not try to ADM the heck out of this as well?

Before I bought my new E46 M3 in 01, some dealers were charging a 15k ADM, the 1M was just as crazy. I see this being no different in the beginning.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ah to have both the M2 and RS would be a dream........i'd probably need a garage first :p

and yea too bad it won't be $51k flat..........close to 55-60+ after a few options

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ah to have both the M2 and RS would be a dream........i'd probably need a garage first :p

and yea too bad it won't be $51k flat..........close to 55-60+ after a few options
Sounds about right. Like I said I was over $70,000 Cdn. Fantastic driving car. If the closest dealership wasn't 3 hours away I would still consider the M235. Not the M because I want an AWD for year round use in Alberta. The RS just fits a lot better for me. And my wallet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I looked at that too. Figured it would be low to mid $60's by the time you get it home. No hatch, no wagon (for US), so not as practical for me. I want to be able to toss a bike in the back, etc. Awesome car though.
-jeff

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am not overly impressed.

Obviously the car itself is going to be great, probably BMW's best so far. But, somehow I do not see it being "special". It is more like a glorified M235i. (It doesn't have any of the trademark M-stuff.) There will not be much ADM on this, because it is not limited, you walk in order it and get it made. The 1M was only 7200 in NA. The M2 will not be rare and will sell more of them, than the M235i. My 135is is rare, only 450 in US..

Obviously, at $51k the M2 is a bargain. For me, it would be a slight trade up. But I all honestly, think the RS will out handle the M2 and be a better driver's car.

I have the GT350, Corvette, RS & M2 on my short list. I can not wait to drive both the RS and the M2. But as of right now, the RS has more of my interest. I want at least 450hp/450tq out of my turbos motors. The 2.3 will offer better tuning potential and aftermarket support. Plus, there is mention of a RS 500 being lighter, magneride and offering a 9-spd auto.

Not hating on the M2, it is a much better car than mine and at the same price! I just want to see-hear-feel what M-division has done to the engine. I am not happy with my N55 PPK II throttle response, or rev characteristics.

Plus the M2 weighs more than the RS... though crazy they are only about $9k difference in cost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
22 Participants
redimo
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing