Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a random question but figured I would ask. Like others on here I plan on getting a RS come spring. I unfortunately live in an area that gets a lot of hail and I was trying to think of a way to protect my RS (aside from dealing with insurance and getting it repaired). No garage at home and no covered parking at work, so cant do that. I was trying to think of how to make some sort of hail cover, maybe utilizing an actually car cover and putting sleeping pads along the top to soften the blow. I've seen a few products out there but some seem a little gimmicky. Anyone have the same paranoia and have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Time to move any get a garage its that simple lol

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If I lived in an area that was well known for hail (which I have never heard of an area well known for hail) I would

1.) Move
2.) Get a garage before I got a nice car
3.) Get extra hail insurance

Any of those options are better than trying to drive around with a car umbrella and predict the future. Are you still in Iowa or are you in Colorado now?

I'd be real interested to know what town you are near so I can check the instances per year of hail storms, I think you might be trolling.

Must not live in an area with hail huh. As common as it is around me, this seems like a valid concern.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I lived in an area that was well known for hail (which I have never heard of an area well known for hail) I would

1.) Move
2.) Get a garage before I got a nice car
3.) Get extra hail insurance

Any of those options are better than trying to drive around with a car umbrella and predict the future. Are you still in Iowa or are you in Colorado now?

I'd be real interested to know what town you are near so I can check the instances per year of hail storms, I think you might be trolling.

Will be moving next year, but wont have any idea where until near the end of my lease. Living in downtown Denver, garage space is very hard to come by. And I plan on having the car covered for hail damage under my insurance.

Beside the fact that there is not a lot of covered parking in Denver, what good would a garage do when my car is at work for 9 hours a day in a wide open parking lot?

The point of me asking this was to find solutions in conjunction with insurance. Should have mentioned the garage situation before (as that is the most common solution when googling something like this) but I would prefer to have some defensive measures other that the pain in the @##^$# and lengthy process that is getting your car repaired.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to take a look at something like this: California Car Cover Company - Car Cover Materials Have something similar for M3 even though it was never really kept outside was to protect it form dings in garage.
I've seen a few companies offering something like this in the same price range. I've never seen on in person, do you think it would actually help or is just a glorified car cover?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think they would help for the smallish hail and if you really want to make sure you are protected you could get one of those padded blankets used to in moving and lay under the car cover and at that point I would figure you should be pretty much covered from everything up until softball size hail start falling in which case only a roof will protect you really at that point.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Honestly, it should not be that bad. Snap some pics with your phone, they usually roll over after the pics are presented, I'm not sure who your insurance is through though.

The other thing is that it is amazing what paintless dent removal can do with a car. I honestly would not be too stressed, for the amount of times you might have to deal with this. Run out of work and park the car at a gas station or underpass.

The only thing I could find in google is

3. Colorado

Colorado is in third place on the list with 42,365 claims due to hail. According to the SPC, Colorado saw 359 reports of large hail during the year, with the majority of it observed in the eastern half of the state. The Front Range urban corridor from Colorado Springs to Denver and Fort Collins is notorious for damaging hailstorms, several of which have topped $1 billion in damage in recent years.

Will be moving next year, but wont have any idea where until near the end of my lease. Living in downtown Denver, garage space is very hard to come by. And I plan on having the car covered for hail damage under my insurance.

Beside the fact that there is not a lot of covered parking in Denver, what good would a garage do when my car is at work for 9 hours a day in a wide open parking lot?

The point of me asking this was to find solutions in conjunction with insurance. Should have mentioned the garage situation before (as that is the most common solution when googling something like this) but I would prefer to have some defensive measures other that the pain in the @##^$# and lengthy process that is getting your car repaired.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
If you are that concerned, yeah a thick comforter or two and a car cover

I think they would help for the smallish hail and if you really want to make sure you are protected you could get one of those padded blankets used to in moving and lay under the car cover and at that point I would figure you should be pretty much covered from everything up until softball size hail start falling in which case only a roof will protect you really at that point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
lymerock
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing