Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one running larger cams for the 2.3?
If so what brand and how much power and torque have you picked up with them?
Did you upgrade your springs?
What turbo?
Aux fuel?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Using Piper BP285T cams and duplex springs with new caps higher revs and more lift “can” equal valve bounce. From memory I think this cam gives around 25bhp. It also produces power all the way to 7500.

To drive on the street I probably use an extra 100/200rpm to set off my tickover is around 850/900rpm the rest of the drive is as normal.

Also have running-
AUX fuel 1000cc injectors, Flex Fuel, NX2 turbo, ported & polished head, Syvecs ECU and all the other required hardware.

Mex-RS who has a thread on this site is also running bigger cams similar to the Piper BP285T

I also think the Mountune V3 cams are Suppiled Piper BP285T cams

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Using Piper BP285T cams and duplex springs with new caps higher revs and more lift “can” equal valve bounce. From memory I think this cam gives around 25bhp. It also produces power all the way to 7500.

To drive on the street I probably use an extra 100/200rpm to set off my tickover is around 850/900rpm the rest of the drive is as normal.

Also have running-
AUX fuel 1000cc injectors, Flex Fuel, NX2 turbo, ported & polished head, Syvecs ECU and all the other required hardware.

Mex-RS who has a thread on this site is also running bigger cams similar to the Piper BP285T

I also think the Mountune V3 cams are Suppiled Piper BP285T cams
And you cant run the VCT,correct? you need to lock the VCT system out to prevent rattling like mexrs needed to because the VCT drives cant cope with the bigger cams.

Ciao

·
Registered
727 Posts
And you cant run the VCT,correct? you need to lock the VCT system out to prevent rattling like mexrs needed to because the VCT drives cant cope with the bigger cams.

Ciao
not locked out, ended up limiting max requested from 40 to 30 degrees on both intake an exhaust. That made a difference with the rattle I had

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
We were communicating privately about his engine noise issue and the fix was to limit the VCT range not lock it out altogether. In some installations when you go to the bigger cams you physically disassemble the VCT actuators and install hard lock to prevent them moving.
I thought in mexrs case they adjusted the tune to limit the range not to stop operation altogether. A false memory on my part.
Ciao

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
For you and the curious:

·
Registered
727 Posts
For you and the curious:
That was a different noise. The noise specifically from the cam phasers when holding rpm steady went away when the tune was set to not allow ecu to request max 40 but instead 30 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts