Ford Focus RS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Add another turbo oil supply line leak to the list:

2018-07-29-22-41-58 IMG_1584.jpg 2018-07-29-22-14-49 IMG_1578.jpg

Supply line / banjo bolt / crush washers replaced today at dealer, under warranty. Hopefully this fixes it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
2018-11-21-15-40-18 IMG_3200.jpg 2018-11-21-15-42-44 IMG_3216.jpg

Nope. Well, After the first fix, no, was still leaking as you can see from pics above.

Took it back to the dealer, assuming it was still the turbo supply line. It's been with them a week now and they just called and said it was the front cover that was leaking and had to be resealed. Apparently now fixed. I am picking it up today. Will see. If it is still leaking, will have to consider other options for repair services . . .

·
Registered
575 Posts
After 7 attempts at tightening, replacing oil line fittings, after pointing out the oil above that banjo fitting ( hard to see but look past through a narrow gap), on the underside of the cylinder head (?) my HG job was redone and ,like is reported elsewhere, now believed by techs the origin is the timing cover seal.

Job completed last Friday...will report back after a couple more days if the leak is finally gone (or not). Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
After 7 attempts at tightening, replacing oil line fittings, after pointing out the oil above that banjo fitting ( hard to see but look past through a narrow gap), on the underside of the cylinder head (?) my HG job was redone and ,like is reported elsewhere, now believed by techs the origin is the timing cover seal.

Job completed last Friday...will report back after a couple more days if the leak is finally gone (or not). Fingers crossed.
Is it fixed now? I need to take mine in for what is probably the same issue.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Is it fixed now? I need to take mine in for what is probably the same issue.
I'll have a look this weekend...been giving a chance for oil, if any, to make itself apparent.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am afraid to look under my car.
I got my car back for 2 days and I am simply not gonna look ...until Friday when I raise it up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a quick long term followup post for anyone interested in outcomes, since I haven't seen any other followup.

2500mi and 3 months later after repair of the timing cover seal by Auburn Ford, and the undercarriage is totally bone dry. That was definitely the issue. Glad it was finally fixed properly.

2019-03-16-19-07-57 IMG_4031.JPG

·
Registered
575 Posts
Bit tardy on my behalf, but the second dealer redid the HG job and concluded leak originated at the timing cover.

Happily... Now doesn't leak after mths.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Just a quick long term followup post for anyone interested in outcomes, since I haven't seen any other followup.

2500mi and 3 months later after repair of the timing cover seal by Auburn Ford, and the undercarriage is totally bone dry. That was definitely the issue. Glad it was finally fixed properly.

View attachment 324950
So that oil leak from the front cover lower rear corner that I can see is fixed? The leak that hasnt had time to produce a drip from the cover yet just wet down the corner of the cover and wicked down and wet the sump.

Ciao

·
Registered
317 Posts
Update: My car is at the dealer today diagnosing this oil leak. Just got a call saying that it's the turbo oil line, but I'm skeptical after seeing this thread.

Has anyone had this issue and the solution actually was the turbo oil line? It seems like everyone in this thread had the line replaced, but then had to go back and have the front cover seal done as well. I'm trying to avoid two trips.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Had the turbo oil line fixed and then had the front cover seal done later as still had a leak. Hard to say if it was both or the cover seal was the ultimate culprit.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just noticed this issue today on my 9300 mile 2017 RS. Seems to be coming from the banjo bolt and my undertray has a big oil stain oil that side. I am going to spend some more time working on the car this weekend (to replace my cracked 1st gen Mountune intercooler but that's a story for a different day - they are sending me a new one) and will try to more precisely locate where the oil is coming from.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Look up from below, carefully. Bet you'll find oil above the Bango fitting. VERY HARD TO SEE. Many failed (6,7?) attempts at correcting this banjo fitting seal.

Check the timing case seal. Reports this can be difficult to seal.

Mine still leaks after a 2nd HG replacement.

I'm using coolant too.

Dealer recommend a replacement long engine.

Ford AU wanted the head off to root cause... suspect block or head surface finish or flatness???

At this point I refused further repair attempts & envoked Australian Consumer Law.

Ford took this on-board directly...the law is clear and I've been patient, calm & respectful.

This afternoon I was advised the car will be replaced, new, 5yr warranty.

Despite the technical shortcomings to solve mechanically, congratulations to Ford AU for their friendly, professional & respectful customer relations.

Kudos, Ford AU.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wow ethosguy sorry to hear about your troubles! Glad to hear Ford is taking care of it. And thank you for the tip - I will check where you recommended.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey guys I just noticed this leak on my 18 RS. Is it always the seal or does it sometimes just end up being the Banjo bolt?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 17 is at the dealership now having the oil line replaced to include the banjo bolt and crush washers. I'll update when I have the car back.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Guys, before you have anything replaced request they put dye in the oil, it's the only way to see where the root cause is. I too brought mine in for the banjo bolt leak and they put dye in my oil and told me to come back in a couple days. I came back and they brought me back to the car, gave me a UV light, glasses and a mirror then told me where to look. It was clearly coming from the HG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2017 with 10K. Dye test showed the oil was leaking from the banjo bolt and crush washers. Dealership replaced the banjo line and crush washers in addition to my passenger side motor mount. I'll report back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still leaking after the banjo line replacement. Went for a spirited drive through the Malibu canyon to really push her and to get the leak to reappear. I was very skeptical about the banjo line being the fix. Low and behold she is leaking down the timing cover...from above the newly installed banjo line. Picture below shows the leak. I could not get my camera into the engine bay to zoom in on the poor sealant job on the front timing cover.

I can clearly see where the oil is leaking at the head/head gasket/timing cover junction above the banjo bolt as mentioned above. Made an appointment to have the car looked at again. Very frustrating.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 151 Posts