Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure where to post this but this seams as good a place as any. I was poking around under the car this weekend and discovered an oil leak at the union between the oil feed and the turbo. In 1500 miles it looks like I've lost ~0.5 quarts because of the leak. The underbelly is pretty well saturated... Has anyone else seen anything similar? Pictures are taken from under the car looking up at the turbo. Car built 3-23, delivered, 6-24 and currently has ~4400 miles on it.

Im making an appointment with the dealer this afternoon so I will keep the group posted.

10-4-16 UPDATE: The car is at the dealer now, been there since first thing yesterday, and the leak is coming from a cracked turbo housing located at the union of the turbo feed line. Not sure what caused the issue but they have a new turbo on order and expect to have it early next week. I have a strong suspicion that this is the exact same issue that caused the turbo failure on the car posted a few weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been niting my tongue but as the glitches continue to roll in I have to say it. never seen so many random problems on a brand new model in a long time. Is this normal for all Fords?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I will say is my '2015 F150 with the 2.7 EB was in for an oil leak at 1500 miles and ended up needing to have the oil pan replaced to correct the issue. In that case they dont used a gasket the use RTV and the pan can't be reused once removed. It is disheartening but MAN is this car fun to drive!

·
Registered
421 Posts
mine spent 6 weeks in Germany in post production and has been flawless except they forgot to bolt in the headlamps .-but it was a june baby maybe that helped!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've been niting my tongue but as the glitches continue to roll in I have to say it. never seen so many random problems on a brand new model in a long time. Is this normal for all Fords?
This stuff is nothing. Almost all carmakers has them when a new model comes out. I see it every day.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
This is literally the reason so many people swear by not purchasing a first year vehicle.

It's incredibly common.

My old boss had 33 different warranty claims on his first year avalanche, in the first year.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This stuff is nothing. Almost all carmakers has them when a new model comes out. I see it every day.
Well that certainly makes me feel better... People can stop thinking that because its assembled in Germany it's any better than the product installed in the US. My '14 FoST had zero problems... That being said, I've owned a lot of cars, I mean a lot, and Ford consistently has had more issues that any other brand I've owned.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i could fix that with a wrench, 2 copper gaskets and a rag
depending on your mechanical prowess it hardly warrants a trip to the dealer.
it is an assembly flaw, not a design issue.
Its a fire hazard man! If I just fix it myself, which I could do, then there would be nothing on record regarding this issue. If there are others with the problem the point of this post is for others to check out and see if it's a common issue. Ford had a similar problem with the 1.6 in the Escapes back in 2013 and ford issued a recall after a dozen cars burned to the ground. Besides, if I were to use a nonOEM part and had an issue with the turbo 30k miles from now I can just see the dealer saying, "you modded the turbo sorry buddy."

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Its a fire hazard man! If I just fix it myself, which I could do, then there would be nothing on record regarding this issue. If there are others with the problem the point of this post is for others to check out and see if it's a common issue. Ford had a similar problem with the 1.6 in the Escapes back in 2013 and ford issued a recall after a dozen cars burned to the ground. Besides, if I were to use a nonOEM part and had an issue with the turbo 30k miles from now I can just see the dealer saying, "you modded the turbo sorry buddy."
I understand your take on the issue from all angles. all I am saying is I bet it is as simple as tightening the banjo bolt.
the take away is this, if someone sees oil dripping from the return tube and they dont have time to park it at the dealer, try tightening the bolt.
thats all.

I am sure they will take care of it for you, hopefully it doesnt sit for too long while they decide what the proper fix is. :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with lymerock. If the banjo bolt is just not tightened correctly, it could be a very easy fix and well worth your time. If it fixes the issue, then there is no need to have worried about having it documented, etc. If it doesn't fix it, then take it in and have them take a look at it - and I wouldn't mention anything about having tried to tighten it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post this but this seams as good a place as any. I was poking around under the car this weekend and discovered an oil leak at the union between the oil feed and the turbo. In 1500 miles it looks like I've lost ~0.5 quarts because of the leak. The underbelly is pretty well saturated... Has anyone else seen anything similar? Pictures are taken from under the car looking up at the turbo. Car built 3-23, delivered, 6-24 and currently has ~4400 miles on it.

Im making an appointment with the dealer this afternoon so I will keep the group posted.
1500mi and you only oil used .5 qt? wow, that's pretty good for a ford

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree with lymerock. If the banjo bolt is just not tightened correctly, it could be a very easy fix and well worth your time. If it fixes the issue, then there is no need to have worried about having it documented, etc. If it doesn't fix it, then take it in and have them take a look at it - and I wouldn't mention anything about having tried to tighten it.
Except that they may see the tool marks if he's not using a good quality tool and using it correctly (ie box end not fully parallel to the bolt head, etc).

I would just fix it myself also, but if he's concerned about it then taking it straight to the dealer is best.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Except that they may see the tool marks if he's not using a good quality tool and using it correctly (ie box end not fully parallel to the bolt head, etc).

I would just fix it myself also, but if he's concerned about it then taking it straight to the dealer is best.
The issue isn't just a loose banjo bolt as I already tried to tighten it. There is something else in the area causing it to leak.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Curious if the reported failed turbo's have any correlation to this reported problem.....just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
1500mi and you only oil used .5 qt? wow, that's pretty good for a ford
My Old 97 Mazda B2300 was basically a Ford Ranger. I put over 200K on that engine, with oil changes every 5 to 6K sometimes 7 or 8K but always with full synthetic. I always put in 5 quarts, then got 5 quarts out every time. My Mazda B3000 is the same with 120K on the engine. And I did and still do beat these engines like rented mules.

My ST also never used oil. I didn't put 1/10 of the mileage on the ST that was on the B2300, and never drove it that hard. But the dip stick was always at the top mark every time I checked.

I'm sure if I drove the ST really hard there would've been blow by, and I'm sure the RS will be the same.

I looked at the RS's oil yesterday, It's right at the top notch. Granted it's still under 1K (650ish).

1 - 20 of 151 Posts