Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered the RS turbo lag ?

One poster on the ST forum said they drove a Mustang EB ( 2.3 turbo) and they were disappointed with the vehicle take-off compared to a Focus ST and/or a Fiesta ST.

Part of the fun factor or the Focus ST over other performance cars is the fact that there is no perceptible turbo lag and the power comes on hard at low rpms and can be felt in all gears, even sixth.

The RS won't have the same fun factor if I have to count hundreds of milliseconds each time I floor it. (albeit nothing can come close to the turbo lag I had on my 83 Nissan 280 ZX 2+2 turbo, manual shift, 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, burning rubber and fishtailing :D )

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I doubt it. It is a twin scroll turbo and a different head design than the mustang gets. curb weight is in favor of the focus too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well with most magazines and reviewers getting between 6.0-6.6s 0-60 for the Focus ST and the RS rated at mid 4s 0-60 I dont think there should be any concern.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have not driven a Mustang 2.3 yet but if people are stating there is susceptible turbo lag then I'm sure the RS will have more considering it will use a larger compressor. The only way for Ford to mitigate lag is to use a lighter shaft and wheel design as the Mustang is already implementing a twin scroll set up. They can also use aggressive VCT tuning but emissions will be the deciding factor of how aggressive. If Ford is truly trying to reach the 350hp mark there will have to be some sacrifice some where. I would say just wait and see, especially considering you shouldn't be afraid to keep the revs up in a lower gear and just mashing the throttle as the RS will be AWD.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not driven a Mustang 2.3 yet but if people are stating there is susceptible turbo lag then I'm sure the RS will have more considering it will use a larger compressor. The only way for Ford to mitigate lag is to use a lighter shaft and wheel design as the Mustang is already implementing a twin scroll set up. They can also use aggressive VCT tuning but emissions will be the deciding factor of how aggressive. If Ford is truly trying to reach the 350hp mark there will have to be some sacrifice some where. I would say just wait and see, especially considering you shouldn't be afraid to keep the revs up in a lower gear and just mashing the throttle as the RS will be AWD.
This is the only Achilles Heel I see in the RS:(

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm not ready yet to say that until I drive it but as long as it spools before 3k and 2500 being ideal I won't mind. Now if you don't get any response until 3K and we struggle to break the 400whp mark on the stock snail then I will be disappointed especially after seeing the EFR TQ curve on the 2.3 Mustang.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't see lag being an issue. From what I've read in that NASIOC thread, the guy running around in the test mule is saying that the car actually feels a bit slower than it is because the power delivery is so linear. It doesn't smack you in the face with boost at 3,000rpm. I kind of like the sounds of that.

I did notice a bit of lag in our FoST at low rpm when stock, but at Cobb stage 1 it really helped with that.

Of course, things can change with the mapping and turbo, etc on the test mule before production starts, but early reports sound good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well with most magazines and reviewers getting between 6.0-6.6s 0-60 for the Focus ST and the RS rated at mid 4s 0-60 I dont think there should be any concern.
0-60 and 1/4 times allow spool up and are completely different than DD where you just push the throttle and expect a more immediate response without a long turbo lag delay.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not ready yet to say that until I drive it but as long as it spools before 3k and 2500 being ideal I won't mind. Now if you don't get any response until 3K and we struggle to break the 400whp mark on the stock snail then I will be disappointed especially after seeing the EFR TQ curve on the 2.3 Mustang.
I really hope the power starts coming on as low as 1,500 to 1,800 rpm and is close to 80% by 2,200 but with the additional torque and HP your numbers might work ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Lag won't be an issue when ford has an anti-lag button to go with their drift button lol.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was being sarcastic, but I do remember my stepfather thunderbird SC lol. He thought that was a rocket ship.

·
Registered
10 Posts
According to the guy on NASIOC who is testing the car there is no lag when in the correct gear.

"RS has no lag when you're in the right gear. Obviously in 6th cruising and pulling out to pass someone it takes a bit to build power, but if you shifted down to 4th it has no lag from the turbo. I think they've done a good job of matching the turbo to the car. Linear and deceptively quick."

Link is here.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That is good to hear, but all turbo cars are like that. Find the right gear and rpm then smash the gas and the lag is minamalized. I just don't want to try my normal commute here in Portland and find myself launching the car to make a simple gap in traffic. I bet I t does feel linear and deceptively quick tho ford wants to have the best hot hatch out there with as minimal criticism as possible. Lag has always been the complaint of automotive journalists. Even to they don't know how to drive a turbo car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts