·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Induction noise will be high with that intake

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Induction noise will be high with that intake
It will, but I like my turbo loud. I may try just a green filter at first to see, before going to a whole open intake and tube.

On the subject of noises, I'm also curious how loud the exhaust is. The videos don't say it but writers that were at this event stated the exhaust wasn't aloud to be put in loud mode. Variable exhaust also means adding just a catted downpipe will be the perfect combination of subtle when cruising and F yea when on it :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't think a green filter will change the sound. The RS intake is essentialy an st intake with the cover removed, which is pretty loud.

Also real excited about the exhaust. You can see in all the videos exhaust is only coming from the right exhaust tip. I imagine when switched to sport mode, the left is used which bypasses the 2nd resonator.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't think a green filter will change the sound. The RS intake is essentialy an st intake with the cover removed, which is pretty loud.

Also real excited about the exhaust. You can see in all the videos exhaust is only coming from the right exhaust tip. I imagine when switched to sport mode, the left is used which bypasses the 2nd resonator.
Do a green filter swap on an ST and you will see how much of a difference it will make, it will be louder just may not be to that extent for the RS.

I'm curious how the exhaust is set up as well. Vettes use the valves to bypass the chambers inside the muffler. Hopefully soon we will get some nice pictures of the underside.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It is louder because the end is open, just did it, but not louder than with the intake cover removed which is essentially what the RS intake is.

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I wonder how those pics were taken, Ford was adamant about not letting reporters take pics in the recent Road and Track article. I would be really surprised if that is actually the finished engine bay. For one, the engine cover is generic and I doubt that is the finished intake, especially considering you can see that the RS logo was painted at some point but isn't now.

·
Super Moderator
15,320 Posts
Hmmmm, horseshoe airbox inlet.

First, mod will be to replace the air filter with either a K&N or Green filter to get rid of that OEM filter.

Looks awfully similar to the ST air box minus the horseshoe inlet top.

Please show a engine photo minus the engine cover.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I wonder how those pics were taken, Ford was adamant about not letting reporters take pics in the recent Road and Track article. I would be really surprised if that is actually the finished engine bay. For one, the engine cover is generic and I doubt that is the finished intake, especially considering you can see that the RS logo was painted at some point but isn't now.
I agree, I think they'll dress up the engine bay a bit more than that

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmmm, horseshoe airbox inlet.

First, mod will be to replace the air filter with either a K&N or Green filter to get rid of that OEM filter.

Looks awfully similar to the ST air box minus the horseshoe inlet top.

Please show a engine photo minus the engine cover.

Its not what you're looking for, not being inside the car without the cover but its the only shot of the engine I've seen so far. Skip to about 35 seconds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So who can make a guess on the Turbo size with that engine cutaway pic?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The way Ford puts it's for the turbo in the RS is like they just modified the Garrett from the Mustang with a larger compressor wheel. Sadly the turbo type is usually one of the last things we find out about the engine and sometimes not until people get their hands on one. Good response and the ability to make 400whp will keep me happy.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Are the Brembo brakes only in the front or are they on all 4 wheels? Because it looks like the blue calipers are only up front.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are the Brembo brakes only in the front or are they on all 4 wheels? Because it looks like the blue calipers are only up front.
The blue is on all 4's. However from what it looks like, the rears are the scrawny calipers you see on the standard Focus. I would have been nice to see the rears like a matching mini set of the fronts, but this would unnecessarily add to the cost. Form with no added function.
Ford-Focus-RS-Nitrous-Blue-07.jpg

·
Registered
914 Posts
The blue is on all 4's. However from what it looks like, the rears are the scrawny calipers you see on the standard Focus. I would have been nice to see the rears like a matching mini set of the fronts, but this would unnecessarily add to the cost. Form with no added function.
View attachment 534
There would be some function. At the very least it wouldn't look half assed while the front looks nice, the rears look like someone took a can of caliper paint to them in their garage. That's very disappointing.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Man the more I think about this the more it makes me angry. It's little things like this which wouldn't add much to the entire cost of the vehicle that really adds a premium look and feel. Across the entire build it would be what, a few hundred bucks per car to add proper rear calipers. When you're shelling out around $40k for a dang Focus it should look like it. But at the end of the day it's still just a Focus and I guess that's just too much to ask. My OCD really kicks in when stuff doesn't match and this bothers me, I'd truly have to replace the entire brake setup to be able to look at it and not get pissed off.

I hate to give up a manual transmission but I'm seriously looking at the GLA45 AMG. There's a black on black at the local dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
I think the car has mostly only changes for things that add function (add least Ford is claiming that and for the most part looks right). The rear brakes on a car like this to so little work that to have upgraded them would have only been for form, at an added cost. If they don't need to be bigger, to not go bigger, it only adds more unsprung weight.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
About this Discussion
59 Replies
17 Participants
Superhatch
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing