Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums but will introduce myself and provide some context before asking a few questions:

I currently travel ~50 miles a day for work and am very excited about the RS, as it seems like a great alternative to the STi and Golf R.. I need a performance car that can do it all - be a good DD during the week days, AWD to handle the snow, and provide ample space which the hatchback provides. Naturally, the RS is very intriguing, as it seems like it could potentially check all the boxes for me.

I was very close to purchasing a ST3 equipped Focus ST last year. I was sold on the ST in terms of driving dynamics / performance / practicality, however the Recaro leather seats (ST3 package) were simply too uncomfortable to be a realistic DD. I also looked at the base ST cloth seats, and they fit/felt fine, however the cloth was just too cheap and the base level interior wasn't doing it for me..

This leads me to my 2 questions which would help me decide whether or not to pre-order an RS:

1) Does anyone know (or can anyone confirm) if the RS Recaro seats will be the same style as the ST3 focus ST? I really hope not, as this would be a deal breaker for me. If anyone has sat in the RS and could confirm, this would be great

2) Are there any specs out on the gear-ratios yet? As I stated above, I commute extensively on the highway to get to work, and typically hover around 70-75 mph. I am hoping that the RS can achieve these types of highway speeds and stay within reasonable RPMs (3000 or below)..

Any insight that you guys might have would be great! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums but will introduce myself and provide some context before asking a few questions:

I currently travel ~50 miles a day for work and am very excited about the RS, as it seems like a great alternative to the STi and Golf R.. I need a performance car that can do it all - be a good DD during the week days, AWD to handle the snow, and provide ample space which the hatchback provides. Naturally, the RS is very intriguing, as it seems like it could potentially check all the boxes for me.

I was very close to purchasing a ST3 equipped Focus ST last year. I was sold on the ST in terms of driving dynamics / performance / practicality, however the Recaro leather seats (ST3 package) were simply too uncomfortable to be a realistic DD. I also looked at the base ST cloth seats, and they fit/felt fine, however the cloth was just too cheap and the base level interior wasn't doing it for me..

This leads me to my 2 questions which would help me decide whether or not to pre-order an RS:

1) Does anyone know (or can anyone confirm) if the RS Recaro seats will be the same style as the ST3 focus ST? I really hope not, as this would be a deal breaker for me. If anyone has sat in the RS and could confirm, this would be great

2) Are there any specs out on the gear-ratios yet? As I stated above, I commute extensively on the highway to get to work, and typically hover around 70-75 mph. I am hoping that the RS can achieve these types of highway speeds and stay within reasonable RPMs (3000 or below)..

you should of got the ST ST3 ..The Recaros break in and are very comfortable even for big guys ;)

The ST goes about 80 at 3,000 ; the RS should be similar

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hi Everyone,

You can also put the leather seats from the titanium focus in the ST/RS. I'm sure people would happily trade

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Everyone,

50 miles a day LOL!

Your going to be SOL on the gear ratio's but you could do as I did in '98 and find a Recaro dealer that has display models which you can sit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I can not confirm on seats as the images and information is inconsistent. Due to the gas mileage, you can bet it will be below 3k at 80...as someone else said above.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take the Recaro's to a good upholstery shop, have them remove the seat bolster pads and replace with something else that is less firm and more room. You can always have the original bolster pads put back in if you want to sell it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
3,250 rpm at 80 mph in my STi. 2,900 at 70 mph. I hope the RS can turn less rpm. I'm at 80mph quite often.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I still wish we could get the shell seats. I like my ST3 seats but would not complain at all for even more support, especially if I'm left foot braking. I do like that they have Suede inserts and that will make a good difference in keeping my but planted :)

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
there are seat options, we get a leather seat remember.
Leather option, as in leather instead of cloth on same seat as the cloth wraps. Those interior shots are of the EU car. Can tell by the radio controls and slide cover over the cup holder. I really want the EU interior as a whole verse the US interior. I want my door locks on the dash too...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not in the US sorry :(
Isn't there some issue with the generally larger average (lateral) size of the USA driver?
I hope we get the EU version in Australia...they are basically the same as the ones in my MKII RS....and are very comfortable...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts