Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys

I've been a lurker for a long time so I decided to finally make an account.
Currently stationed in Germany but moving back to the states next month. I've spent plenty of weekend on the Nurburgring and I'm looking to get into Global Time Attack after the car is built for it.

Glad to be finally apart of the fourms!

Mods;
ETS intake
ETS FMIC
ETS Extreme exhaust
CPe Qkspl catless downpipe
Cobb Accessport with JSTune
Enkei NT03 with Toyo Proxes R888's
BMSpec wing extension
Euro Spec Recaro seats
Billtworkz **** knob

LRM_EXPORT_126821756120751_20190629_011936598.jpeg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome, so you're shipping the car back to USA?

I am jealous, I got to drive the Nurburgring once for 5 laps, and that was literally the highlight of my life. Also the Autobahn. Why can't we have stuff like that here? People in North America just don't care about cars as much it seems. Ford isn't even going to be selling cars other than the Mustang in North America soon, all F-150s. In 20 years everything will be electric, the world is going to ****e.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I was stationed in Italy in the late 90's and took every opportunity to go up and drive around in Germany. I had a M3 at the time, but ya know... anyway, nice looking car.
@RabidSmurf -> the good news is that the Mustangs that they are making these days are bad a**!

·
Registered
65 Posts
@RabidSmurf -> the good news is that the Mustangs that they are making these days are bad a**!
Yeah I am trying to convince my old man to get a Bullit mustang, because he's a mustang freak and I know he would love it, but he's stuck in his ways and wants his old 68 back. I understand, but come on...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@RabidSmurf

I am shipping it back! The shipping for the military is a bit of a...pain...to say the least!

How did you enjoy the ring and what did you drive it in!? I am 100% not looking forward to the general auto-world of the states. From the speed limits to the lack of tracks and lack of quality back road driving. I can't say I'll miss much about this place but those are a few things I will. You don't want the new European model Focus tho...it is horrible in person. There is no soul like the mk3 and older.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@brotharon

Appreciate it!

Where about in Italy? I have a few friends stationed down there and have heard it's miserable to drive in the cities. If I could afford an e30/36/46 M2 then I definitely would but, otherwise, no thank you! I've worked on enough BMW's to know to steer clear of the new models!

·
Registered
65 Posts
@RabidSmurf

I am shipping it back! The shipping for the military is a bit of a...pain...to say the least!

How did you enjoy the ring and what did you drive it in!? I am 100% not looking forward to the general auto-world of the states. From the speed limits to the lack of tracks and lack of quality back road driving. I can't say I'll miss much about this place but those are a few things I will. You don't want the new European model Focus tho...it is horrible in person. There is no soul like the mk3 and older.
The shipping and all the paperwork to get it registered will be worth it though, there are still places to go have fun, even in boring Alberta. Exploration is part of the fun now.

Having never left North America prior to that trip, the entire experience of being in Germany was pretty great, especially Cologne. The beer, the food, the cars, it was amazing. The ring was another level though, this was the highlight of the trip for us, a bucket-list item for 3 car guys who had never been to Germany.

I picked the Focus RS from RSR, it was between that or the BMW M2 which my friend ended up renting (much better driver than I). I opted for the Focus for a couple reasons, one was that I don't have a lot of real-life track experience (just simulator and spirited driving) so AWD seemed like a safer bet to me. The m2 just seemed like a bit too much car for me at the time, especially on a busy track day on the nurburgring. I wanted something easily controllable but still powerful and fun. My daily is a tuned GLI with 6-spd so it wasn't a super big change (in my head, in reality it's no contest), just a bit more power and better traction.

The other reason is that the car just appealed to me, had been watching a lot of top gear, Youtube and reading about it for a while by that point and I really wanted to try it.

So first lap was with an instructor from RSR, it was probably the fastest for me because I had him there to tell me if I was going to fast or too slow, and despite having lapped the ring hundreds of times in asetto corsa and forza, it's not the same thing as real life with traffic, real cars and real lives, and real (finite) wallets at stake. The RS ended up being capable of things I never really understood from just spirited street driving and video games. I started to really understand the concept of suspension load, weight and momentum management. I need to get to a skid pad to really cement those things in.

The last 4 laps by myself I took it a bit easier because I did not want to wreck it, still went really fast (to me) though.

Last lap I got on 10-15 minutes before close, let a 911 and some other fast cars past me right away and then had the track to myself for the entire lap. It was like a religious experience for me. The sun was setting and there was nothing but me and that amazing machine on the most famous race track in history. I was pretty much the last person off the track for the evening.

At the end of it my entire body was vibrating from the mix of adrenaline and stress from dealing with traffic and not wanting to wreck the car, and just being ridiculously excited.

So the Focus RS at Nurburgring basically imprinted itself on my brain as a big part of one of the best experiences of my life, so after that I knew I was getting one at some point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@brotharon

Appreciate it!

Where about in Italy? I have a few friends stationed down there and have heard it's miserable to drive in the cities. If I could afford an e30/36/46 M2 then I definitely would but, otherwise, no thank you! I've worked on enough BMW's to know to steer clear of the new models!
I was stationed in Vicenza. 173rd Airborne (1998 - 2002). I doubt that your friends down there are people I would know...but I do agree about the cities being a pain to drive in. I usually drove only if I was going out in the country, otherwise I took the train.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I am trying to convince my old man to get a Bullit mustang, because he's a mustang freak and I know he would love it, but he's stuck in his ways and wants his old 68 back. I understand, but come on...
The Bullit is a freaking bad machine. I would love to have one in the stable, but my wife wouldnt go for it. It would look nice with my little SVO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts