Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Good to know. I wonder if that Motorcraft is a synthetic.

Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
Motorcraft is definitely a Synthetic Blend

·
Registered
187 Posts
it is full synthetic and recommended by ford, but I will be running AMSOIL 5w-50
What about oil filter? Will you use the Motorcraft filter or will you use one that you prefer?

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I'm gonna go with K&N oil filter and RedLine 5w30 oil. The 910S is the same as the ST filter right?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm curious @MidCow3 , where did you find this?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I'll probably go with Redline 20W-50 after break-in. I use Canton Racing products for all my filter needs so after break-in it will be this (I usually buy the extra elements, too):

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/product/25-164/25-164---CM-34quot-BILLET-SPIN-ON-FILTER-34quot--16-THREAD-2-58-O-RING/

Here's some Motorcraft FL910 filter info:

Helps protect against engine wear by screening out abrasives, such as carbon, sand, dust and bits of metal before they can get into your oil
• Pressure-relief valves help minimize the chance of contaminated oil circulating back into the engine
• Pressure-relief valves also help maintain the supply of oil to the engine under extreme cold conditions or if the filter gets clogged
• Steel cases are "ironed" for a precise fit, fluted to ease removal and painted to resist rust
• Efficient filter media offers increased dirt-collecting capability and ability to capture more engine-harming particles

And some dimension info from another page:

Part Number: FL910S
Weight: 0.6 lbs
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
By-pass Valve: Yes
Filter Height (in): 3.41
Filter Outside Diameter (in): 2.98
Filter Style: Spin-on Canister
Filter Thread Size: 3/4 - 16
Filtering Material: Cellulose phenolic resin
Gasket Material: Nitrile
Non-slip Grip: No
Removal Nut: No

And a cross-reference page: MOTORCRAFT FL-910S - Alternative oil filters

Jim

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'll stick with the Motorcraft oil and filter for my RS.

·
Registered
418 Posts
5w50 I guess* Why are they recommending 50 I wonder?
I have a 2014 mustang gt, which is recommended to take 5-20w. You'll notice that the Track Pack recommends 5-50w. Ford has mentioned that although these two cars, the gt and track pack gt, have the same engine, they assume that the track pack will be under stress much more often, and therefore recommend the 50 weight. Looks to be the same here with the RS.

Anyone know what the EB mustang is recommended to take?

·
Registered
742 Posts
What is the recommended interval? 5k, 10k?

My mustang says 10k, but I change it every 5k. Hopefully the RS has the same interval

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hmm a bunch of people are running Rotella T6 5w-40 on the MEB. Adam (Tune+) recommends that for the first few changes followed by Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40. I'm not sure if his recommendation was strictly for the stock turbo...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Odd, EB Mustang and Lincoln MKC call for 5.7 qts, but FoRS only calls for 5.4 qts.
More room on the others, not as low, to have slightly different pans, engines are adapted to the different chassis designs

The engine will be running at higher temps than others, good reason for the 5w50!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts