Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Glad to have just joined a forum full of rabid RS fans like myself. I've been a Ford guy for as long as I can remember and had always tried to stay true to the brand...says the Cooper S driver. You see, back in 2008 when gas prices were stupid I gave up my Ford truck and decided to get a car. Problem was, Ford had no compelling choices at the time (as much as I like Ford, I'm certainly not the Mustang type). The two MINI's I've owned since have been fun little sports cars for sure.

Still, I've been waiting patiently to come back to the Ford camp. In fact, if I hadn't been so disappointed in the Focus ST, I'd probably be driving some Tangerine Scream. But that manufactured exhaust note through the audio system was very off-putting. So much so, I didn't even consider one.

I am holding out hope that the RS is all that is being promised. After reading some of the posts here it looks like it might have to be a leap of faith since it appears that there is limited allocation. Looks like I gotta get to my Ford dealer!

Cheers,

-Jeff

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi all,

Glad to have just joined a forum full of rabid RS fans like myself. I've been a Ford guy for as long as I can remember and had always tried to stay true to the brand...says the Cooper S driver. You see, back in 2008 when gas prices were stupid I gave up my Ford truck and decided to get a car. Problem was, Ford had no compelling choices at the time (as much as I like Ford, I'm certainly not the Mustang type). The two MINI's I've owned since have been fun little sports cars for sure.

Still, I've been waiting patiently to come back to the Ford camp. In fact, if I hadn't been so disappointed in the Focus ST, I'd probably be driving some Tangerine Scream. But that manufactured exhaust note through the audio system was very off-putting. So much so, I didn't even consider one.

I am holding out hope that the RS is all that is being promised. After reading some of the posts here it looks like it might have to be a leap of faith since it appears that there is limited allocation. Looks like I gotta get to my Ford dealer!

Cheers,

-Jeff
Welcome on board. I too had a modified Cooper S for 10 years and loved it. However had the FiST been around back when I bought it I would probably have gone that route instead. If you have already read a lot of the posts on here about allocations and purchasing woes, you will probably have realized that finding a MY2016 allocation at MSRP now will be tough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The focus St didn't have a manufactured exhaust note through the stereo?
I stand corrected...it wasn't through the audio, but it felt (sounded?) like it. They use the "active sound symposer" in that car, but what I found when I drove it was that you could hammer on the throttle and get the growl while revving up, but as soon as you let off, it goes quiet and all you hear is the regular four banger hum. Felt very manufactured.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Depending on what gear you were in its supposed to tone itself down when cruising. And when you left off the throttle why would it be making much noise? Either way there was almost here about the RS having fake exhaust sound through the stereo which has me worried.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think youll be disappointed with the rs if you didnt love the st, or the base model focus for that matter. You should wait and try to get a test drive, however you may not be able to find a dealer that will one one the lot

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think youll be disappointed with the rs if you didnt love the st, or the base model focus for that matter. You should wait and try to get a test drive, however you may not be able to find a dealer that will one one the lot
That's a very good point. I went and test drove an ST, and liked it a lot. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall it was a fun car to drive. If the OP didn't like the ST, I'm guessing the RS won't fit the bill either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a very good point. I went and test drove an ST, and liked it a lot. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall it was a fun car to drive. If the OP didn't like the ST, I'm guessing the RS won't fit the bill either.
I'm pretty sure the extra 90 or so horses and all the other goodies will make the RS acceptable. ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

Test sitting a ST3 optioned ST is an absolute must. If you enjoy the proportions of the car, the seats, the pedal positions, the shifter position, the wheel placement and the view out the window, you WILL love this car because the powertrain will be a thriller guaranteed and all else is the same.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Test sitting a ST3 optioned ST is an absolute must. If you enjoy the proportions of the car, the seats, the pedal positions, the shifter position, the wheel placement and the view out the window, you WILL love this car because the powertrain will be a thriller guaranteed and all else is the same.
It's hilarious that you say that... Here was my ST3 ST test sit/drive:

- Seats. Seemed pretty good. OK with those.

- Pedal positions. Hmmmm.... WTF were they thinking there. Certainly not about tracking the car. But I can fix that.

- Shifter position. Would be great for the passenger or a RHD car. Will need to figure out a way to fix that.

- View out the window. Was great going forward. The B-pillar is located EXACTLY perfect to block my side view. Perfectly centered with my dome.

Ok, so all that being said, I liked driving the car. Not AWD, so the dynamics of the RS will be different, but the car felt good going down the road and had pretty decent power. I've never bought a Ford on purpose, unless you count the one I bought to save my good car during the Winter in the early 80's. But I'm damn excited about this car. About time that the U.S. didn't get Fk'd, and actually got the ROW car. I'm gonna fix what I can, and call it good. Then mod the $h!t out of it and play. Probably stop short of cutting the B-Pillar out and making it a proper hardtop. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I stand corrected...it wasn't through the audio, but it felt (sounded?) like it. They use the "active sound symposer" in that car, but what I found when I drove it was that you could hammer on the throttle and get the growl while revving up, but as soon as you let off, it goes quiet and all you hear is the regular four banger hum. Felt very manufactured.
Simple fix. Pull hose and add plug. First thing I did to mine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Simple fix. Pull hose and add plug. First thing I did to mine.
Can you explain this further please? Sounds like something I would like to do to my daughters 2015 ST ST3!

I too hate that they put sound through cabin artificiality & would love to delete/change that on her car!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I drove my buddy's ST before deciding to order the RS. Fun to have that tq down low, unlike my GC. Tq steer was kinda fun for that one drive, but I'd get tired of it pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
What's the story behind the username if you don't mind me asking?
^^^ In for an answer on this too. This could go so many interesting/entertaining ways. smiley_popcorn.gif

Who knows, maybe she drives ice rally's. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
^^^ In for an answer on this too. This could go so many interesting/entertaining ways. View attachment 3314

Who knows, maybe she drives ice rally's. :D
The story behind the username could be one or more of several possibilities:

1) She is a cold hearted *****.
2) She is a fan of cold weather
3) She has circulation problems and is always cold
4) She is an ice rally racer
5) She is currently in my chest freezer

I'm sure there could be many explanations, but the real answer is #2 and getting the plate was mostly her idea. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people behind me at a light whip out their phones and take a picture. I had no idea it would be *that* amusing. At least it makes people smile. BTW, my favorite guess is #5 which was one of the likely explanations brought forth by the service tech guys at the MINI dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts